10+ Year Old Account

Binding Heal, why is noone talking about it?

I am loving Binding Heal, I just healed an entire dungeon almost exclusively using Binding Heal. I don't understand why no guides mention it and people don't use it? Is Surge of Light really better, because it doesn't look better at all by the description.

It's got some great qualities! With enduring renew, it counts as direct heals on all parties, so you can keep renew rolling permanently in a 5-man with it (and on a lot of raid targets without much work as well). Its double-serendipity count is pretty great as well!

It also has some notable drawbacks: While it is great if all the targets need healing, often enough healing on yourself is pure overheal, and you don't really control the alternate target. It's not really a "group" heal since it only heals one extra person (not counting the "targetted 2": yourself and your actual target), so PoH fills the AoE heal role better if most people actually need healing... and binding heal is a woefully inefficient and weak single target heal. Heavy usage will run you out of mana pretty quickly, being very nearly the highest mana spell in cost/cast time ratio.

It's not a bad spell, SoL is nice because it is instant, free, and on-demand. It's infinitely less expensive and is efficient in every situation, whereas BH is efficient in few. BH is certainly more fun to play with, however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraide View Post

It's not a bad spell, SoL is nice because it is instant, free, and on-demand. It's infinitely less expensive and is efficient in every situation, whereas BH is efficient in few. BH is certainly more fun to play with, however.
    Thanks for your input, I guess if SoL procs all the time that's a pretty powerful thing to have. I just felt like BH was being overlooked. One of the drawbacks is definately the heal on yourself, which will very often be overhealing, as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    I am loving Binding Heal, I just healed an entire dungeon almost exclusively using Binding Heal. I don't understand why no guides mention it and people don't use it? Is Surge of Light really better, because it doesn't look better at all by the description.
    why would you use binding heal when you're full hp?

I used to love it but it was situational for disc because it didn't give grace stacks so you had to be careful ... then it just got removed from disc /sigh

I can tell you why none recommends binding heal in a legion environment (note: not prepatch environment which ends in less than 2 weeks) and here's why:

1) It's a talent, all talents do not benefit from the artifact in any way whatsoever except from 2 traits that boost all healing.
    2) Flash Heal with trail of light and surge of light benefit from both the minor trait reverence and the major trait blessing of t'uure and flash heal has double chances to proc the mentioned major trait.
    3) Prayer of Healing is simply better when 3 or more people need to be healed especially when artifact traits (holy guidance and power of the naaru) get factored in.
    4) The only synergy binding heal has is with enduring renewal which is completely inferior to trail of light and is used to refresh renew which ain't strong enough to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    Thanks for your input, I guess if SoL procs all the time that's a pretty powerful thing to have. I just felt like BH was being overlooked. One of the drawbacks is definately the heal on yourself, which will very often be overhealing, as you said.
    Yes, it procs all the time. 8% might not seem like a lot, but you throw out a lot of heals, and you see it up extremely often.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraide View Post
    binding heal is woefully inefficient
    It literally has the same mana efficiency as Heal, if it doesn't overheal.

And even if it overheals on yourself, it has better mana efficiency than Flash Heal.

Surge of light is too good. Too many situations where quickly healing one target is what matters most. Binding has efficiency but it's far too niche.

Would be better if it smart healed 2 other targets instead of yourself.

If you're just looking at mana efficiency and total spell power output per mana spent, Binding Heal is one of our most efficient spells, right up there with Heal and PoM. Adding in Enduring Renewal, like you said, makes it even more mana efficient; plus, it allows you to spend less GCD's on Renew in that scenario. So if the self-heal is not over-healing and you're keeping your group alive, I think it's great choice (especially if you are having fun with it!)

Another consideration that could potentially make Binding Heal a strong choice is if it compensates for our lack of a personal DR. Passively keeping ourselves topped off could allow us to never have to use GS/Serenity on ourselves. However, in cases of high damage, single damage events, BH might not be enough. It's something to play around with.

Just for funsies... BH is also more mana efficient than PoH, even when you include PoH's 3/3 artifact boost plus the boost from Power of the Naaru's proc. However, PoH could be the superior choice in a raid setting if you don't want to heal yourself and/or you want to heal five people instead of three. A single SoL+ToL FH with FH's 3/3 artifact boost is considerably more mana efficient than Binding Heal, but if you factor in SoL's proc rate, BH still comes out ahead in efficiency. Then again, SoL could be a better choice if you are looking for an instant heal. So pretty much, it just comes down to what you are wanting the spells to do, the damage patterns, and if you're keeping your group alive (just like with all healing spell and talent choices, lol.) Instance type also factors in, as mana becomes more or less irrelevant in dungeons because you can stop and drink (with the exclusion of certain types of mythic+ dungeons, as others have pointed out.)

But overall, I think BH allows for a lot of flexibility and could work in a lot of different scenarios. I've even come across it in some high-parsing raid logs, which I kind of found surprising because I thought (inaccurately assumed?) the spell would be better suited for dungeons. It'll be fun to look at logs in a few weeks to see it's potential in different Legion instances.

Yeah, I'd run with Binding Heal in dungeons, where Enduring Renewal is most effective. In raids, it's kinda meh.