AI taking over... inevitable?

I just rewatched Ex Machina last night and spent some time reading some saved articles on AI. It just seems to be that it's totally inevitable AI will assume power over humanity. Our weaknesses are so easy to exploit. Hell, most of us wouldn't survive a simple power outage.

That doesn't necessarily mean they are "evil". But if a smart enough machine can sense it's own demise, and we assume anything that becomes conscious wants to ensure it's own survival, wouldn't it just make complete sense it would exploit our many, many weaknesses to overtake us?

And this isn't really about "should" we do it - as in create the AI. This is going to happen regardless, this is more of a discussion about when it does, what do you think it will mean for humanity?

I think it is, we are creating an organism we can never hope to understand, wars are often caused by a lack of understanding.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

In the west? possible.

Worldwide? lol no. Good luck getting AI to take down impoverished nations.

im honestly more concerned with what we do to ourselves right after AI gets invented. even if the ai is only as "smart" as a normal person the fact that it uses electrical pathways rather then biological ones means its going to be at least a thousand times faster at thinking then humans. with that speed any problem that is solvable will have a solution in weeks. combine this with the fact someone has to invent it first and suddenly every nation has a BIG incentive to nuke whatever nation invents ai just to keep them from becoming the only superpower.

Why would AI want to take over this mess of a world?

10+ Year Old Account
    No we're... isn't.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-