Will be Brewmaster any good in Legion? (noob asking)

Hello guys. I hope you are doing just fine.

I was thinking in playing resto shaman for legion but since a good friend came back and he will be playing a healer, i decided to go as a tank. I currently have 2 options: warrior and monk. I tested both and i do like monk mechanics a lot more than warrior. I started to read forums and watch videos and, overall, they are saying brewmaster will suck in Legion. That they are doing ok on Mythic+ but they are lame on raids.

Is that so? It will worth to play this class in legion?

Thanx!
    Mi blog personal: HotJoint

Deleted
    one the first page of the monk forum alone are 3 different topics discussing how brewmasters will be in legion (even one dedicated solely to mythic+)

dont be lazy and check them out

7+ Year Old Account
    They certainly won't be lame in raids. If you enjoy the gameplay, play BrM. You only have to worry about what's the best class in theory when doing content undergeared, i.e., when going for world firsts. If you don't do that, every class/spec that fits the role you're for is fine. Play whatever you enjoy. It's usually far easier to get the most out of something you actually enjoy.

That said, Warrior sounds easier to play (have to admit, haven't tried tanking as a Warrior after the pre-patch). Keeping up Shield Block is easy since it's so cheap and then you just pump the rest of your rage into Ignore Pain. Deciding whether to drink Purifying Brew or Ironskin Brew requires fare more nuances decisions. But as long as you enjoy BrM, it shouldn't be an issue for you that it is harder to play. After all, you'll enjoy learning to play BrM properly.
    "We pave the sunlit path toward justice together, brick by brick. This is my brick." - Tim Cook, CEO of Apple

Armory: Monk, Druid, Death Knight, Shaman
    WoWProgress: Monk, Druid, Death Knight, Shaman

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind part of the answer to this question depends on what you're planning on doing in Legion. For instance, when you say raiding, are you referring to normal/heroic difficulty pug raiding? Raiding with a guild? Mythic progression?

There's a ton of great information out there already about tanking in Legion. But keep in mind some of the videos you see "ranking" the tank classes are based on the idea that the player is interested in sort of cutting edge Mythic progression. More casual players probably could ignore most of those rankings, especially at lower difficulty levels, play and play the class they wanted to play.

Also, keep in mind answering questions about viability prior to the release of the expansion is difficult as tuning will be a continuous process.

As a self-confessed "noob", I'd recommend that Brewmasters will not be of much use to you in Legion.

There are other tank classes which can deliver performance and enjoyment with less effort.

That said, Brewmasters whilst arguably lacking some utility still remain competitive when played by a well-versed, experienced and competent player.

I continue to main my Brewmaster (since MoP) because (1) I love the class, (2) I like the challenge, (3) I enjoy playing an under-represented class.

That said, I think a potential problem is that PUGs / RLs / GMs will deem Brewmasters inferior to other tanks, and that worries me; with a Guild I'm fine, with my Mythic+ friends I'm fine... but if I need to PUG etc I worry that it will be hard to find a spot as a Brewmaster.

TLDR - choose another tank if you don't want the effort, otherwise Brewmaster can be greatly rewarding but may prove a struggle particularly without friends/Guild.

Quote Originally Posted by risingforce View Post
    As a self-confessed "noob", I'd recommend that Brewmasters will not be of much use to you in Legion.

There are other tank classes which can deliver performance and enjoyment with less effort.

That said, Brewmasters whilst arguably lacking some utility still remain competitive when played by a well-versed, experienced and competent player.

I continue to main my Brewmaster (since MoP) because (1) I love the class, (2) I like the challenge, (3) I enjoy playing an under-represented class.

That said, I think a potential problem is that PUGs / RLs / GMs will deem Brewmasters inferior to other tanks, and that worries me; with a Guild I'm fine, with my Mythic+ friends I'm fine... but if I need to PUG etc I worry that it will be hard to find a spot as a Brewmaster.

TLDR - choose another tank if you don't want the effort, otherwise Brewmaster can be greatly rewarding but may prove a struggle particularly without friends/Guild.
    Being honest? They don't seem to be seen in a particularly good light at the minute.

Early youtubers reviewing beta had a fairly low opinion of them as tanks and healers, which unfortunately seems to have stuck. Personally I think they're great, but the class doesn't bring significant raid utility to a group (no self/in combat rez, no heroism, no crowd speed boost and so on) and has a bit of a higher skill cap than some of the others.

At the minute, for example my raiding group isn't running with a monk (I've been heavily encouraged to play my resto shaman instead) and seems fine with the idea. That said? I think a lot of people are basing decisions without a) their artifact and b) ignoring the strength balancing that always occurs a few weeks into an expansion. If a class is too strong - it will get hammered.

Whenever someone asks me "why do you play X, isn't it bad?" (which is rare by the way) I answer: "when I'm playing it, it's good". Sadly, this kind of attitude seems to be rare in the WoW community. So... what else is there to say? You're either a FOTM player who changes classes like underwear, or you're not and instead you try to be a true master at your class. I prefer the second approach. Also... among the coolest things that can happen in PUGs is when someone tells you that he thought that class/spec X was useless but when he saw you playing it he changed his mind about it. Isn't that nice?
    Last edited by TaurenNinja; 2016-08-29 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by risingforce View Post

I think generally, most pugs are ignorant. They'll take whatever tank is available. To be frank, while I'll be starting off with a DH, I'm willing to bet you'll see more "No Demon Hunters" in pugs due to
    1) idiots that don't know how to play and
    2) over saturation

You'll be fine in any case. I'm more "noob" than you are, and if/when I get the monk to 110, it will be dead last, as I've found my other tanks give me more reward for less effort. (DH, War, DK) And to be frank, I'd even vote DK to be below you monks almost at this point, but since I know the class much more intimately, I'd even level that over the monk ><

Quote Originally Posted by Resurgo View Post
    I think generally, most pugs are ignorant. They'll take whatever tank is available. To be frank, while I'll be starting off with a DH, I'm willing to bet you'll see more "No Demon Hunters" in pugs due to
    1) idiots that don't know how to play and
    2) over saturation

You'll be fine in any case. I'm more "noob" than you are, and if/when I get the monk to 110, it will be dead last, as I've found my other tanks give me more reward for less effort. (DH, War, DK) And to be frank, I'd even vote DK to be below you monks almost at this point, but since I know the class much more intimately, I'd even level that over the monk ><
    In 5-mans tanks are in demand so they have to take what there is. If you're trying to PUG raids however, good fucking luck doing it with the tank considered to be bad. Pre-monk buff in the initial WoD release, something like half the heroic raid groups were specifically excluding monk tanks.