10+ Year Old Account

What you guys think?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/sZjGLD

For gaming at 3440 x 1440 100 FPS, max settings.
    I will use it for AutoCAD as well (though very rarely) for my job. Mech. Eng.
    I will be reusing a SSD I currently own for additional storage.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Everything is fine except the m.2 ssd, complete waste of money. Yes they benchmark faster, will you notice it no. Also one 1080 is probably fine for 95% of games at that res if you just drop down AA a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    http://pcpartpicker.com/list/sZjGLD

For gaming at 3440 x 1440 100 FPS, max settings.
    I will use it for AutoCAD as well (though very rarely) for my job. Mech. Eng.
    I will be reusing a SSD I currently own for additional storage.
    If you are willing to shell that much and going to SLI, i say move to an X99 system, and get an NVMe drive. 4-6 times faster than SSD once you have enough PCIe lanes for it (hence the X99).

People say that fast drives are not important, but i then tell them to try and log in and out on my PC and they are amazed, longest loading screen i get is 1 second, and most times its just a flash.

I myself have the Intel 400GB NVMe but there are even better ones out.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckers View Post
    If you are willing to shell that much and going to SLI, i say move to an X99 system, and get an NVMe drive. 4-6 times faster than SSD once you have enough PCIe lanes for it (hence the X99).

People say that fast drives are not important, but i then tell them to try and log in and out on my PC and they are amazed, longest loading screen i get is 1 second, and most times its just a flash.

I myself have the Intel 400GB NVMe but there are even better ones out.
    Synthetic benchmarks are one thing, real world programs most times cannot take advantage of the super fast SSD's yet. Great example is SWTOR, it has insane long boot up time no matter what storage solution you are using. The price difference is not worth it yet imho, he could get a 850 evo 1tb for same price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Everything is fine except the m.2 ssd, complete waste of money. Yes they benchmark faster, will you notice it no. Also one 1080 is probably fine for 95% of games at that res if you just drop down AA a bit.
    From what I've heard one1080 for max setting at that resolution will generally do 60-80 FPS. I'd like to never dip below 95 or why bother with the 100hz monitor.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

From what I've heard one1080 for max setting at that resolution will generally do 60-80 FPS. I'd like to never dip below 95 or why bother with the 100hz monitor.
    There are two problems here:

1. Dont expect all games to scale well in SLI, in fact most games do not scale at all or run worse.
    2. High HZ monitors dont need to sit at the panels refresh rate to give the smoothness that makes them so great. You can have a 144hz monitor and get 60 fps and it will still "feel" smoother, its just the way these things work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Synthetic benchmarks are one thing, real world programs most times cannot take advantage of the super fast SSD's yet. Great example is SWTOR, it has insane long boot up time no matter what storage solution you are using. The price difference is not worth it yet imho, he could get a 850 evo 1tb for same price.
    Storage capacity isn't a worry for me. I have a 500 GB Samsung SSD already for storage and 1TB HDD as well.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Storage capacity isn't a worry for me. I have a 500 GB Samsung SSD already for storage and 1TB HDD as well.
    Still a massive waste of cash my man, if i were you i would get a single titan xp and a normal SSD and drop one of the 1080's.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are two problems here:

1. Dont expect all games to scale well in SLI, in fact most games do not scale at all or run worse.
    2. High HZ monitors dont need to sit at the panels refresh rate to give the smoothness that makes them so great. You can have a 144hz monitor and get 60 fps and it will still "feel" smoother, its just the way these things work.
    Well, I will likely get one of the 1080s upfront and see how the performance is in a few games prior to buying the second. So I'll be able to get back to you regarding be scaling of going to SLI.

As far as your second point even with g sync, I can very much tell the difference between 60 and 100 FPS. I really can't tell much of a difference between 100 and 120 or 144. Maybe if I spent a ton of time looking at 144 and then switched to 100.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2016-08-27 at 03:47 PM.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Hmm Auto Cad isnt going to get as much out of SLI 1080s.. If you are using it rarely enough to justify not flat out buying a Quadro Card then I agree get a single titan XP or a single 1080 and just overclock it. Also if you are using Auto Cad AT ALL Id run 32gb of RAM not 16. I also agree that you arent getting your moneys worth going for a super fast ssd because software cant utilize it yet.

Well, I will likely get one of the 1080s upfront and see how the performance is in a few games prior to buying the second. So I'll be able to get back to on regarding be scaling of going to SLI.

As far as your second point even with g sync, I can very much tell the difference between 60 and 100 FPS. I really can't tell much of a difference between 100 and 120 or 144. Maybe if I spent a ton of time looking at 144 and then switched to 100.
    Meh you seem to have your mind made up, why even make a post? SLI is sketchy at best, new games usually work fine but games even a couple years old WILL have issues. As for telling between 60 and 100 fps on a 144hz panel, i personally cannot. As long as the panel is 120/144hz anything above 60 feels "smooth" to me, and immediately different than a 60hz panel.

I still say get a titan xp and avoid SLI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grishnok View Post
    Hmm Auto Cad isnt going to get as much out of SLI 1080s.. If you are using it rarely enough to justify not flat out buying a Quadro Card then I agree get a single titan XP or a single 1080 and just overclock it. Also if you are using Auto Cad AT ALL Id run 32gb of RAM not 16. I also agree that you arent getting your moneys worth going for a super fast ssd because software cant utilize it yet.
    Hmm. That's a cheap and simple fix. Maybe I'll up it to 32 GBs. I'll ask one of the IT guys at work on Monday what he thinks. He does all the ordering for the engineering department.

- - - Updated - - -

Meh you seem to have your mind made up, why even make a post? SLI is sketchy at best, new games usually work fine but games even a couple years old WILL have issues. As for telling between 60 and 100 fps on a 144hz panel, i personally cannot. As long as the panel is 120/144hz anything above 60 feels "smooth" to me, and immediately different than a 60hz panel.

I still say get a titan xp and avoid SLI.
    Not trying to be stubborn. Just looking for several opinions. Seems like the consensus on the storage is that the M.2 drive isn't worth it. I appreciate the feedback.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Here is linus's thoughts on fast SSD's from last week's lan show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev7jQAAvvQ0#t=27m04s