Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Legion leveling question

Hey all!

So I main Mistweaver and will continue to do so come legion. I've been listening to a few podcasts and bouncing between a few websites and I'm trying to wrap my head around one thing:

Would it be better to start leveling as WW then switch to MW at 102 and work on the weapon then?

I hear conflicting things, like "I should just go from 100-110 as MW and dump all AP into it".
    I've also heard that WW is amazing for leveling and I "don't want to just stay as MW till 100".

It all can be a bit confusing for sure, so I'm asking my fellow monks for guidance.

Bottom line is, as long as I can level through content just fine and NOT gimp myself for my MW spec going into dungeons and raids then I'm good.
    Last thing I want to do is let my team down.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Deleted
    Whenever you get AP from something you get a token. Like when you complete a keyquest you get a "Questers Glory" (now have different names for all quests) which gives your artifact 100 AP. But you don't have to use it instantly.

So you can get the WW Artefact first, level to 102 and collect all artefact power items in your inventory. (might need about 10 slots space or some more maybe)
    Then at 102 you start the MW quest in your class hall and then spent all artefact power on the MW weapon (Be careful here, i am not completly sure right now if artefact power goes onto the currently equipped weapon or if it is used like an enchantment).
    After that you can just continue leveling as WW and always apply new found artefactpower onto the MW Weapon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teabelly View Post
    (Be careful here, i am not completly sure right now if artefact power goes onto the currently equipped weapon or if it is used like an enchantment).
    The currently equiped weapon.

Deleted
    All items / sources that gives you artifact power have to be actively right clicked, and the the artifact power will be applied to your currently equipped weapon. What you should do is picking the WW artifact first, and the not use any of the AP items you obtain while leveling to 102, simple store in your bags, after you reach level 102 and unlock the MW artifact, equip it and right click all of the AP items you obtained while leveling.
    That is all you have to do, you can level as a dps spec and still put all of the artifact power you obtain while leveling into your healing artifact anyway.

Also worth noting that the artifact power you obtain while leveling to 110, is very minor in the grand schemes of things. The most important thing is beginning with your artifact Knowledge and making sure you upgrade that as often as possible (every 5th day after you have unlocked it, which I belive is at 110, heard something about it being 108 now but it wasn't like that when I leveled in the beta.)

Slightly on that topic - is WW the way to level? I assume its much much faster than MW of course, but wondered if levelling as brewmaster wasn't a lot safer and made up for slower killing by safely killing off elites and big groups?

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys for all the responses and incite.

I guess the only other possible issue would come from the acquisition of runes and making sure you get what you need for your chosen main spec.
    Is it possible / plausible to just use whatever runes acquired during the leveling process for the WW spec (If I chose to level as it) and then concentrate on the MW runes after hitting 110?

Thanks again for the input everyone!

If you do level as WW make sure to set spec to MW in the loot options to get MW relics.

Quote Originally Posted by HHHGame78 View Post
    If you do level as WW make sure to set spec to MW in the loot options to get MW relics.

So this is why I keep getting relics that I can't use in my weapon... set spec to MW for transmog purposes but playing as WW, thought it was a zone thing fml.

7+ Year Old Account
    I also main MW but I have been leveling in WW... I haven't worried about loot spec so far (lvl 105) as healing in dungeons right now is stupidly easy. I have been dumping all my AP into Sheilun. I will be switching loot spec at highmountain (my last zone) that should give me enough healer gear to be viable come 110.

It is worth noting that when you do the quest for your ilvl 800 piece at the end of the zone, make sure you do set your loot spec before you pick up the quest so you get secondary stats for MW.

that's just what I've been doing and so far no issues

Quote Originally Posted by Awsyme View Post
    Slightly on that topic - is WW the way to level? I assume its much much faster than MW of course, but wondered if levelling as brewmaster wasn't a lot safer and made up for slower killing by safely killing off elites and big groups?
    Leveling is super easy any way.

Deleted
    there is no harm in getting 1 golden talent for your leveling spec and a few artifacts, especially when far away from 110.

10+ Year Old Account
    Level as WW and dump all your AP into your WW weapons to level 13. When you get to 110 you will get enough AP from Suramar(sp?) to level up your MW staff. It takes as much AP to level from 1-13 as it does to go from 13-14.

Unless you group for world quests and what not, it will be a lot quicker and easier doing it with level 13 WW weapons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragore View Post
    Level as WW and dump all your AP into your WW weapons to level 13. When you get to 110 you will get enough AP from Suramar(sp?) to level up your MW staff. It takes as much AP to level from 1-13 as it does to go from 13-14.

Unless you group for world quests and what not, it will be a lot quicker and easier doing it with level 13 WW weapons.
    Very much this. I've been having a blast ploughing all AP and relics into the WW weapons, levelling is super efficient since WW does great damage and self heals at the end of a fight. Soon as I hit 13 with the fists I'll start putting stuff into Sheilun but I've been healing dungeons with an level 1 staff and doing just fine.

I picked up the MW weapon first. I've leveled one level (about half of Azsuna) so far, and while the leveling is going fine, killing rares takes forever. I'm glad that I picked up the MW weapon first because I know I'll want to heal for dungeons, but I don't think I have the patience to level all the way to 110 with it. My current plan is to pick up the WW weapon when I get the quest at 102 and level with that. I'll put 11 points into it to get the first golden trait and probably a lower level relic or two, then save the rest of the AP items for Sheilun.
    Last edited by Auveanna; 2016-09-01 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks to Shyama for the Signature

I am a MW main and I started with the MW weapon. Leveling around 100-103 was pretty slow. You do decent damage though. Once I was able to recruit a follower I can currently (107) kill really well. I am unsure what kind of damage I would do as WW but leveling is fast. It usually takes me about an Hour to Hour and twenty each level.

7+ Year Old Account
    Awww you guys (and gals) are so awesome with all of your feedback, it's helped greatly and I'm sure there are more out there who have lurked some nice info. It's much appreciated!

So I'm seeing usually when you're hitting your last leveling zone is when you want to make sure you are grabbing your main spec's runes?

So far I'm almost 104 (mostly due to working so much), finished Stormheim and am currently working through Aszuna. My goal is to move next to Val'sharah and finish in High Mountain. All my AP has been applied only to Sheilun, and the runes went to my WW weapons since I knew I could get some later for Sheilun.

So far so good or any suggested tweaks? Thanks again everyone, esp for keeping this thread alive and well!

I filled my WW weapon up to 13 traits while leveling, leveling was a breeze. When I got relics that weren't necessarily upgrades for my WW weapon I swapped specs and added them to my MW weapon. I followed the same zone order as you. Now that I'm 110 I'll be putting everything else into my MW artifact to get ready for raiding. The WW artifact will be useful for world quests, so it was worth the investment.

lvled 1-110 as mistweaver, no regrets. not sure why people say it's slow. I was outdpsing dps considerably in dungeons the whole way up.
    Mistweaver Monk |
    "Those who lead through fear only stay in power while those they govern lack courage." ~ Lorewalker Cho

Deleted
    As really new into MW monk, what did you use while quest?

Quote Originally Posted by parish View Post
    As really new into MW monk, what did you use while quest?
    vers and crit gear
    Mistweaver Monk |
    "Those who lead through fear only stay in power while those they govern lack courage." ~ Lorewalker Cho