10+ Year Old Account

Soothing Mists and MW Mobility.

I'm comparing between a druid and monk for mobility - one of my key deciding factors on which healer I would play.

This would mean,
    (a) Ability to get around - i.e., how fast can I get from point a in the raid to point b. With Roll and Tiger's Lust we're head of some healers but not as far ahead as druids who can just stay at boosted speeds for unreal amounts of time.
    (b) Healing while moving - This is the more important one. Even though we have several instant and fast heals, I have some serious concerns about this with the soothing mists channel.

First, some heals are only instant when I am channelling soothing mists. This kinda makes their being instant not useful at all for movement. Second, this means that we'd really like to be channelling Soothing a majority of the time (to get the extra healing + keeping enveloping available as an instant heal).

My question is, how does this impact mobility? Do we now want to try to stay still as long as possible? Or does the soothing channel start up often enough again due to regular healing that this is not even a thing?

Thanks!

Soothing mist doesnt make any of our spells instant, maybe with the pvp talents, but not in pve.

in downtime its just better do put in some dps than channeling soothing, unless the healing is needed ofc

also just break the channel if you have to move, you can still proc it again once youre done moving with effuse

Deleted
    Not gonna use Soothing mist that much anyway. There is multiple ways to get enveloping mist instant in legion pvp. Can even talent soothing mist able to move while casting..

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah - okay, didn't realize that was for PvP.

So for only PvE - how much of an effect will the soothing channel have? Will it be worth it to try to stay still?

Deleted
    Soothing mist is the least healing you can do while casting but its free so its has its points.

The pvp talent just turns MW game play back to how it was pre legion, popping tea can either give you an extra charge for renewing mist or make enveloping instant, on a 30 sec cd (2 charges via talent)

Deleted
    im not allowed to post links but there is a log in the MW thread here that shows soothing mist is actually pretty good in 5 min+ fights.

The trick to a good monk seems to be to use as few effuse as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nague View Post
    im not allowed to post links but there is a log in the MW thread here that shows soothing mist is actually pretty good in 5 min+ fights.

Which would then of course mean, to not move much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by st33l View Post
    Which would then of course mean, to not move much.

you can check the talents, i think he used mistwrap

Deleted
    I'm currently using Mistwrap and Mistwalk along with Chi-Ji and Focused Thunder. Makes me hyper-mobile for all these tanks and dps that are charging ahead and spreading out in dungeons currently!

Basically, if being mobile is significant to you, then rest assured Monks aren't slow turrets. Obviously most of our healing comes from hard casting/channelling, but there are ways around that too.

Mobility highlights:

- Roll
    - Tiger's Lust
    - Mistwalk (not the most recommended talent, but if you like mobility it's an awesome blink heal)
    - Renewing Mists (excellent instant cast HoT)
    - Chi-ji (good for raid damage phases, and keeps healing while you're moving around)
    - Mist Wrap (all talents on this tier are good for different things, Mist Wrap does make keeping up soothing mists easy and extra healing while you're moving)
    - Thunder Focus Tea (if used on Renewing Mists, allows you to throw out lots of HoTs at once on the move; if used on Enveloping Mists, allows you to instant cast it on the move; if used on Essence Font, allows you to channel on the move - very versatile!)
    - Transcendence (great for zipping between raid groups and for dealing with boss mechanics)
    Last edited by mmoc4153f46076; 2016-09-07 at 04:08 PM.

I'm a RL and I used to main a resto druid before transitioning to MW monk for Legion for a change of pace. Resto druid has better capabilities for healing on the move because they have more instants and rejuv can be spammed while running until you run out of mana. I used to heal people as I was knocked up in the air and was falling back to the ground or as we were running from place to place. In terms of mobility, I think MW monks pull ahead a little bit with some useful abilities like Transcendance, the double (or triple) roll/ chi torpedo/ tiger's lust and additionally they benefit from their melee-healer status for raid abilities.

To try to achieve a similar feeling to my resto druid in dungeons, I went with Mistwalk and the statue talent combo. With a 10 sec CD the statue is up for all the trash pulls and Mistwalk keeps me soothing the tank while on the move.

I have enjoyed both specs so far, it remains to be seen how my monk holds up in raids but I'm confident that it will do fine. Both would be a great choice for you.
    Last edited by Virond; 2016-09-07 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nague View Post

Why would using as few effuse as possible be a good thing? For a quick spot heal accompanied by Amalgam's Seventh Spine it seems pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordsearch View Post
    Why would using as few effuse as possible be a good thing? For a quick spot heal accompanied by Amalgam's Seventh Spine it seems pretty good.
    You will not be able to regenerate enough mana if you are using effuse too much. I think his point is very spot on. Which is boring gameplay. Monk has the right tools but it's all based around not using your two most expensive and best heals... i.e EF and Effuse.
    Mistweaver Monk |
    "Those who lead through fear only stay in power while those they govern lack courage." ~ Lorewalker Cho

10+ Year Old Account
    This is pve only comment and for dungeons only since raids are not yet released on live!
    - Soothing Mist is like powerfull hot you keep on tank when you are not dpsing or healing other party members.
    - You can and should talent into Mist Wrap talent which increases the duration of Enveloping Mist and you can move while channeling Soothing Mist.
    - Your mobility is fine compared to other healers and rarely other than DH tanks can outrun you and pull without you being there.
    - What I recommend is to talent into Mistwalk and Rising Thunder also = almost always instant Enveloping Mist which boosts all your heals (Soothing Mist also) and activates Soothing Mist. Reason why you want said talents is that when you use Thunder Focus Tea for instant heals or more hots you can use Mistwalk and Rising Sun Kick to reset the CD on Thunder Focus Tea and then roll away from melee range (if not dpsing). This means you have almost always Thunder Focus Tea ready for quick panic heals or for getting that insane artifact heal out on low hp target with 40% healing boost.

My basic playstyle is to dps in melee range when there is no need for keeping tank up constantly or tank can selfheal. When it seems tank/party takes too much dmg or the mob pack does high aoe/melee cleave I roll away and Mistwalk only to reset the Thunder Focus Tea to have it ready for next big dmg income.
    When dpsing on melee range I use constantly Thunder Focus Tea to either spread Mists around or using Enveloping mist for burst healing.

If I should not dps and focus more on healing I let the Soothing Mist do most work and only use other heals for aoe or activating the Soothing Mist / burst healing tank.
    Only time when I oom is when dps have zero idea what "do not stand in fire" means since monk aoe heals are really expensive.

I leveled first druid to 110 only to realize that the healing is way too boring and really just standing still dpsing when not healing.
    Leveled MW next and I am having a blast! I love how monk can just switch from normal healer to melee dps with powerfull instant heals to keep the party alive. Or do somewhat "ok" dps from range with Lighting. Also since I am not fan of a long CDs, I am using Jade Serpent Statue talent so my Soothing Mist is actually keeping tank alive, specially when Enveloping Mist is on target.

Its very interesting to see the different play styles of MW. From my own experience running mythic dungeons I never have time to just sit and using soothing mist many of the fights seem very chaotic. Chi Burst provides a great heal and damage when there are large groups of mobs or group wide damage if angled right. Also do you feel Thundering tea should be used for instant Enveloping Mist? Thundering tea seems best used for 2 Renewing mist to keep a blanket on the group and to help keep Vivify from eating your mana in group wide damage.

Deleted
    if you have to run around like a maniak and the tank is taking heavy damage, then you use the tea for instant cast if you dont want to lose cocoon.