Of Stat Priorities with two specs

Hello Warlocks,

So I'm planning to begin raiding T1 primarily as destro, with Aff as a secondary spec if required, and a few questions have been burning in my mind.

Firstly,are these two the best choices for T1 fights, or should I opt for demo as a secondary option?

Secondly, upon browsing the guides, I've noticed that destro rates mastery extremely low, while Aff rates it it very well, with both enjoying haste. Would a destro gear set be good enough to swap in to Aff, or should I be looking at forming two sets of gear for raiding purposes?

I think we we spoiled somewhat in WoD, with mastery always being the top dog.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mastery was changed so it's rly shit for us now.

Imho haste is your top prio on both specs. Crit is, atleast for me, 2nd prio with destro. Won't get into affliction until Mythic raids / dungeons so I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haste is top stat for sure in any case, but I think that people underestimate Mastery somewhat, I see some put it below Versatility, which is ridiculous really.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeranath View Post
    I think we we spoiled somewhat in WoD, with mastery always being the top dog.
    And now its Haste instead.

And i just have to point out how dumb the new destro mastery is. done.
    Former highend raider. Now highend moron

Afflictions damage is increased by mastery across the board so its the obvious choice as secondary besides haste

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Haste is top stat for sure in any case, but I think that people underestimate Mastery somewhat, I see some put it below Versatility, which is ridiculous really.
    Its not ridiculous IMO. Our mastery works in a way where it has a random chance to do a random amount of damage between 1 and xxx. All mastery does is raise that xxx value. So it just increases the range of damage it can do, which is EXTREMELY inconsistent and unreliable. Versatility at least is predictable and can be planned around.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draxtor View Post
    Its not ridiculous IMO. Our mastery works in a way where it has a random chance to do a random amount of damage between 1 and xxx. All mastery does is raise that xxx value. So it just increases the range of damage it can do, which is EXTREMELY inconsistent and unreliable. Versatility at least is predictable and can be planned around.
    Nonsense. This is precisely what Crit does for most specs and yet you have some that still want it. The Destro guide in this very forum section gives a much better reasoning:

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    Since Vers provides a similar benefit in damage done and damage taken reduction, it's a better choice where available.
    Consistency alone is nice and dandy. Consistency AND it being on par performance-wise with Mastery is a far better reasoning.

Edit: Heck, outside of Roaring Blaze, the spec has nothing that synergizes well with Haste. Faster ticks on Immolate and a shorter cooldown on Conflag translate into more shards which you will then spend on weaker Chaosbolts. The proportion of Chaosbolt casts to non-Chaosbolt casts remains exactly the same. You could even argue that, in situations where Cataclysm is a good talent, you'd be better off with stats that actually boost the damage of your extremely strong AoE cooldown.
    Last edited by mmocac9ee8a52f; 2016-09-02 at 08:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draxtor View Post
    Basically what a dude above me said, we have crit for all classes all the way from Vanilla - a random chance to do random damage, it's even worse because it's black and white - either you are a king or a fucked.

Mastery is just a smoother crit, I seriously SERIOUSLY raise a question of sanity when Versatility is somehow equalized to Mastery - Versatility is a frikkin 400 rating per 1%, while Mastery is 116 rating for 1% - average it out at 50% strength on average and it's 232 rating for 1%, assuming Mastery is affecting only 65% of your damage (which is a really fair assumption) - it means for 313 rating you WILL get the same benefit as Versatility for 400 rating. And that is by the way for single target only - for cleave and AoE Mastery gets even better, as all the things that do not scale with Mastery are single target only and not affected by Havoc, with the exception of AoE portion of Lord of Flames.

I have no idea how people can say Versatility >= Mastery, it simply makes 0 sense and a claim that it is "inconsistent and unreliable" is laughable, because then nobody would take bloody crit ever.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2016-09-03 at 12:11 AM.

Yeah, my view is haste, then crit/mastery with slight preference for crit (resource generation), then vers