Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Is Shadow Priest supposed to be this miserable?

I've stuck with my Shadow Priest for as long as I remember, and I've never felt this miserable before. Solo questing doesn't feel very smooth or fun, when I reached level 110 the enemies hit like trucks and our survivability is lackluster. The enormous build up combined with the clunkiness of Voidform just makes questing as a Shadow Priest a pretty terrible experience.

Don't get me started on dungeons. Apparently I need to start getting used to flames, because even the tanks does twice as much AoE damage as me. I always end up at the bottom of the chart, maybe a bit higher if it's on easy bosses, but those are not in abundance. The rest requires too much moving around for any of our spells to be legit. Void Torrent? Think again, stunned.

I feel like we need amazing gear to be able to compete with the rest of the classes in terms of damage and I'm only getting Mastery and Versatility. It's really disheartening when we're in this terrible state. Maybe I'm just bad? Our class is one of the most complex classes when you have to think about insanity and keeping Voidform up for as long as possible and it doesn't feel rewarding at all, especially if you want to focus and chill with dungeons.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toroto View Post
    I've stuck with my Shadow Priest for as long as I remember, and I've never felt this miserable before. Solo questing doesn't feel very smooth or fun, when I reached level 110 the enemies hit like trucks and our survivability is lackluster. The enormous build up combined with the clunkiness of Voidform just makes questing as a Shadow Priest a pretty terrible experience.

Don't get me started on dungeons. Apparently I need to start getting used to flames, because even the tanks does twice as much AoE damage as me. I always end up at the bottom of the chart, maybe a bit higher if it's on easy bosses, but those are not in abundance. The rest requires too much moving around for any of our spells to be legit. Void Torrent? Think again, stunned.

I feel like we need amazing gear to be able to compete with the rest of the classes in terms of damage and I'm only getting Mastery and Versatility. It's really disheartening when we're in this terrible state. Maybe I'm just bad? Our class is one of the most complex classes when you have to think about insanity and keeping Voidform up for as long as possible and it doesn't feel rewarding at all, especially if you want to focus and chill with dungeons.
    - Enemies hit everyone like a truck after they ding 110. They scale and you have no gear when you ding.

- We just don't have the tools to compete on AOE. Best option is to dot and put people who flame on ignore. You have to learn the boss mechanics to know when to void torrent. Fight knowledge is still the best dps gain in the game. Once you've mastered maximizing you skill usage during the encounters predictible elements you should perform better.

- RNG is RNG. Well opitmized gear will drop eventually. It's the first week. Keep your head up champ.
    Last edited by justflayin; 2016-09-04 at 04:08 PM.

Deleted
    Pretty much. This current take on Shadow only truly shines in a raiding environment, preferably without any AoE to make us look worse! Shadow does great boss damage, and is especially powerful in execute phases, that's what we're there for now.

We sacrifice burst damage, meaningful DPS cooldowns and any form of AoE damage so we can have surrender to madness. Blizzard did a revamp of the class only to exacerbate issues we've had for 3 expansions in a row. I've been seeing a lot of talk from priests saying they might reroll and I can't really blame them at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by reallybadguy View Post
    We sacrifice burst damage, meaningful DPS cooldowns and any form of AoE damage so we can have surrender to madness. Blizzard did a revamp of the class only to exacerbate issues we've had for 3 expansions in a row. I've been seeing a lot of talk from priests saying they might reroll and I can't really blame them at this point.
    Yeah, I fucking hate surrender to madness and the whole spec is apparently balanced around that talent. Kinda forcing me to reroll. I will at least level up one other class and then return if priest gets any better soon.

Started on my hunter today, at lvl 100 with WoD pvp gear (710) and a 725 bow im bursting over 100k DPS as MM already......sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by Toroto View Post
    All I can advice at this point is reroll into a dps spec which is fun to play. It is quite obvious at this point that, by having a forced uberburst execute talent for raids, we had to lose anything else, because, you know, somebody in the game has to be a scapegoat which is being pointed by devs, stating that "oh look, we made a game where specs have strengths and weaknesses". Too bad they forgot to add weaknesses to other specs in the game, lol.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Im not a fan of voidform, not voidform in particular but the voidbolt ability we get, it just fucks with the rotation so much and we already have a ton of keybinds as it is. I just wish some of the buttons were optional, i just cant bind my spells in a way that makes it comfortable to play.

Deleted
    Our aoe is just , hahahahahahaha , but I did try STM in my first HC today and wow , talk about a trailing horse come flying through to win the race. I was struggling to keep up till 50% then just screamed past everyone. I feel we will be hard to beat on raid bosses..
    On the other foot if raiding isn't your thing , SP is still epic fun.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fengorn View Post
    Our aoe is just , hahahahahahaha , but I did try STM in my first HC today and wow , talk about a trailing horse come flying through to win the race. I was struggling to keep up till 50% then just screamed past everyone. I feel we will be hard to beat on raid bosses..
    On the other foot if raiding isn't your thing , SP is still epic fun.
    That's the thing though. You suffer through terrible AOE, bad solo play, long ramp up time to get that one moment of glory. And it will be nerfed anyway, since it could potentially break some bosses or mechanics, while being terribly useless on others. Any random stun, silence, boss becoming untargetable or momentary lag can destroy your dps without any chance of recovery. I don't think we ever had a talent like this in game and for a good reason. It's a horrible design which causes glaring balancing problems.

I'm similarly unhappy with the state of Shadow Priest. Instead of sitting around pouting, I decided to level up a different class. It's painful, but I should be a 110 DH by tomorrow evening.

Actually they failed pretty much on priest in general. Not just the shadow have all the problems you are saying, the discipline desing also fails since on hard dungeons (at least) the class is broke. You cant use the dps to heal, forced to spam shadow mend. Also when group take damage because fires and such, you are fucked xDD

Funny that the best priest spec doing aoe damage is holy with holy nova hahaha

and indeed, the void form is a fail. Is a resource they added to simply add something. Dont make the class more interesting, and is not intuitive or effective. Jst make the class more unfun

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Franarok View Post
    Actually they failed pretty much on priest in general. Not just the shadow have all the problems you are saying, the discipline desing also fails since on hard dungeons (at least) the class is broke. You cant use the dps to heal, forced to spam shadow mend. Also when group take damage because fires and such, you are fucked xDD

Funny that the best priest spec doing aoe damage is holy with holy nova hahaha

and indeed, the void form is a fail. Is a resource they added to simply add something. Dont make the class more interesting, and is not intuitive or effective. Jst make the class more unfun
    I am 833 and my mind sear hits for 7k and my holy nova hits for like 70k. I do more dps in holy on trash than I do shadow with 5 times more effort than just pressing 1 button. Like, ok.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBeoulve View Post
    I'm similarly unhappy with the state of Shadow Priest. Instead of sitting around pouting, I decided to level up a different class. It's painful, but I should be a 110 DH by tomorrow evening.
    same. after running all the mythic dungeons and feeling like i was getting carried(shit aoe and lackluster dps on boss since they all have some sort of knockback/stun/kite ability) i lvled my mage in a day and i can already tell im doing more dmg on a shitgeared mage than my 835 priest.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

Got fed up with Shadow and the jokes my guildies were making at my expense cause of how terrible my dps was in dungeons. Broke out my DK and started leveling as Unholy. My God, it was a revelation. I just gathered every mob I could see and burst them all down in a few seconds. It was glorious.

I was excited to play Shadow because it looked like a skill intensive spec that could really shine and had what seemed like the coolest talent in the game. Well, that talent is completely unusable before raids. And the skill intensive part is right, but it won't matter how skilled you are when you have to duck out of a Void Torrent cast to dodge rando boss mechanics. There's just so much that can go wrong when your dps relies on working your rotation perfectly and a good deal of that rotation being channeled. Our artifact powers just seem really bad. You have to channel Void Eruption. Then you have to channel Void Torrent. Meanwhile, on my DK, I just hit Apocalypse and the mob instantly takes a truck load of damage and I get eight ghouls. No muss. No fuss.

Had high hopes, man. Hopefully Blizzard gives it a look.

its mostly just annoying that surrender is the only way we can be competitive because the other level 100 talents might as well not exist theyre that bad. shadow will probably excel in progression fights during the execute phase and do insane dmg, as long as nothing interrupts you or stops you from casting for a second or two because youll just straight up die most of the time. ive mained spriest since wrath and feel the cata version of spriest was the best, i've already levelled an outlaw rogue to 110 and its a lot more satisfying and fun honestly. maybe ill go back to priest if they nerf outlaw but otherwise ill have to ditch my main of 6 years because stm is the only way to play

Unless Shadow AoE gets buffed in 7.1, it's looking like yet another expansion of being shit at everything except long single target fights.

Maybe they're trying to drive shadow priest players insane to match the class fantasy?

Warlocks are complaining a lot, so there's a chance that Blizzard will look at several other specs that are also underperforming in dungeons and bring them up. Fingers crossed.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm mainspec disc but doing shadow whenever we have another healer for dungeons.. Only done heroics so far, but yes, I can't compete on trash which is soo boring, I could very well be afk for trash and no one would notice.. It's rather unfun..

We're running with a ton of melee usually, who just destroys the meters, killing everything in seconds. But there's nothing new that as long as mechanics doesn't break melee, they'll steamroll dungeons.

From my experiences so far in dungeons and while solo I've had little trouble keeping up.

I don't really care about performance on trash, those are so quick any burst-based class will always do well. On bosses I'm near or at the top anyway (I'm not 110 yet so who knows this may change for me), and even then so if I were at the bottom I don't mind so long as I'm not so far behind that it's comically bad.

If I've learned anything about past expansions it's that adapting to what works best for you as a Shadow Priest gets you the farthest, and to treat any guides as a loose guideline that can (and needs) to be molded accordingly.