Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Recommendations for a keurig?

Hey guys,

I spend too much time and waste so much coffee with a regular coffee maker, a keurig would do wonders for me. Anybody know which keurig is the best?

Thanks in advance

Maybe not what you're looking for but I have a better alternative to a keurig imo. Buy a single coffee maker like this one I have and grind your own beans. It makes 1 cup quickly in the morning as you're making breakfast or whatever. Easy to clean and so on. I love it, and at first I thought grinding your own beans was just a thing coffee snobs said was better, but honestly it does make a difference in taste. You can always use pre ground coffee if you want, but I don't like the taste as much. It's so much better than any other coffee maker I've tried because it makes 1 cup as opposed to having to make a big portion and also it's quick and easy to clean/use. I love it, and unlike some coffee machines I've had in the past, this one actually gets the coffee warm enough. There are ton of single cup coffee makers out there, I think kitchen aid also makes one that might even be better. Just look around. I think it's a better option than a keurig, IIRC keurig gets expensive since buying just regular coffee beans is cheapre than buying those kcups.

Just get a 4 cup coffee maker, way less expensive.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Get one without the DRM (or one that the DRM-removing ring works on). That way, you still get to make your own coffee with the reusable and refillable inserts and don't waste coffee. The store-bought inserts are a heinous increase in cost to the point where you could literally throw away most of a pot of regularly brewed coffee and still save money. This doesn't even touch on how environmentally terrible the cups are.

When you find a Keurig machine you like with the appropriate settings that fancy you, do a google for the "freedom clip". It's what removes the DRM, and other companies sell reusable cups.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    Just get a 4 cup coffee maker, way less expensive.
    My brother is a coffee snob, and he claims the K-cups are way too much waste and give no control over your result. I second Tulane's post.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Looks fancy

I would get the K55 from the classic series. It's basically a reissue of the old "Elite" model. The K-cup 2.0s have seemed to have kind of iffy reliability, and the 'standard' model of the old ones have always been great. I worked for Bed, Bath and Beyond as a summer job when I was doing my CS undergrad.

7+ Year Old Account
    Damn americans and their first world problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Get one without the DRM (or one that the DRM-removing ring works on). That way, you still get to make your own coffee with the reusable and refillable inserts and don't waste coffee. The store-bought inserts are a heinous increase in cost to the point where you could literally throw away most of a pot of regularly brewed coffee and still save money. This doesn't even touch on how environmentally terrible the cups are.

When you find a Keurig machine you like with the appropriate settings that fancy you, do a google for the "freedom clip". It's what removes the DRM, and other companies sell reusable cups.
    ^Pay attention to this. Keurig DRM locked their second gen machines because 3rd parties were making cups at better prices and because people were using bulk ground coffee instead of the cups at all. They pissed off consumers in a major way and lost millions in the process last year with sales still down this year. Keurig recognized their epic fail and is backing off the DRM scam, slowly. You can still find gen 2 machines being sold so if you get one you'll either need to hack it, get a 3rd party ring, or you can give Keurig’s even more money and buy their "My K-Cup" which is a reusable filter for your own ground coffee.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont listen to the haters, k-cups are just fine for a lot of people, even better when you find the cup that you like. Its all about being able to lift can go. Like said, just make sure you don't get one of the ones that are locked, I thought the locked ones were short-lived though because of the backlash. And like others have said, you can even buy filters to put your own grinds in. I heard that Keurig is good for replacing machines if they break or you break them. Just need to phone them (keep your box).

This the one I have at home, gets the job done

http://www.keurig.com/Brewers/Home/K...5-Coffee-Maker

We have the

at work. Its cool and all, not sure if its worth the extra money. but I say that after using the "classic" one for years without issue.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Dont listen to the haters, k-cups are just fine for a lot of people, even better when you find the cup that you like. Its all about being able to lift can go. Like said, just make sure you don't get one of the ones that are locked, I thought the locked ones were short-lived though because of the backlash. And like others have said, you can even buy filters to put your own grinds in. I heard that Keurig is good for replacing machines if they break or you break them. Just need to phone them (keep your box).

This the one I have at home, gets the job done

We have the

at work. Its cool and all, not sure if its worth the extra money. but I say that after using the "classic" one for years without issue.
    No ones being a hater, just pointing out that a small autodrip pot is way cheaper and does the same thing. Keurigs are like Iphones, hype and expense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    No ones being a hater, just pointing out that a small autodrip pot is way cheaper and does the same thing. Keurigs are like Iphones, hype and expense.
    Yeah but how many people have a smartphone nowadays. You don't need a lot of things but that doesn't stop us from taking advantage of the convenience of it. In IT, you know of a dozen ways for a user to do something more efficiently but you also know that the user will never adopt it until its "idiot proof". There are better tasting ways to make coffee, cheaper, and maybe just as fast but keurigs are the most brain easy way to make coffee - which is why people love them.

I turn mine on and put the k-cup in, I start to get anxious if I have to wait more than 30 sec for the water to get hot. I press the button to dispense water then spend 20 sec looking for my keys that I swore I put in the spot that I swore to put them in yesterday. Then I'm out the door. Next morning I open the machine back up and go through the same routine. Brainless and convenient.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Finally the coffee thread. I have visited explicit forums for questions like this in the past and realized: Elitistjerks was a place full of noob-welcomeing, friendly tolerant people. Nothing, nothing is more toxic than a coffee forum and no LoL or CS player will destroy you more than these coffee-snobs if you are new.

I got the Office Pro version. I had a regular one that broke twice and since I like the machine so much I did a bit of Amazon research and found the Office model. It's got a much bigger pump in it, which is what broke on my normal models. It's a touch louder than a consumer model, but I don't mind it. I have had it for a while so I am not sure if they added the barcode stuff to it, but mine doesn't have it.

Apparently I haven't posted enough to put links in. But I am sure you can google/Amazon it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Finally the coffee thread. I have visited explicit forums for questions like this in the past and realized: Elitistjerks was a place full of noob-welcomeing, friendly tolerant people. Nothing, nothing is more toxic than a coffee forum and no LoL or CS player will destroy you more than these coffee-snobs if you are new.
    Is it really snobbery if people are advocating cheaper alternatives? Admittedly coffee preferences are a matter of taste, but unless the OP vastly prefers keurig then there are better single serve alternatives. Including other single serve drip makers, should that be his heart's desire.

Personally I didn't think there is much about keurig that is worth recommending, unless the OP wants a very very fast cup of coffee but even then there are alternatives.

please BUY WITH WARRENTY! they have amazing warrenty and mine broke within a year and had a new model with touchscreen shipped 2 days later to my house without anything to do but give seriel number and place of purchase and they they asked me to send a part back to prove its not working...surprising the part they asked for is replaced with 10 dollars.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Is it really snobbery if people are advocating cheaper alternatives? Admittedly coffee preferences are a matter of taste, but unless the OP vastly prefers keurig then there are better single serve alternatives. Including other single serve drip makers, should that be his heart's desire.

Personally I didn't think there is much about keurig that is worth recommending, unless the OP wants a very very fast cup of coffee but even then there are alternatives.
    Nono this thread just made me remember. You see in said forums coffee doesn't exist. It's espresso and coffee is a watered down or stretched espresso. That's some basic knowledge. Also I have never heard of keurig (they are not present on German market) - are they capsule/pad machines? If so no way you will survive even a Introduction thread. You either know how to handle "lever espresso machine; piston espresso machine; semi-automatic espresso machine" and know which beans from which country (hell you will get obliterated if you come with supermarket stuff) does what taste or you better do not post at all