Brewmaster Monk Soloing in Legion!

So it seems like we may be fairly good at soloing dungeon bosses in Legion, thanks to Obstinate Determination and either really quick strafing reflexes or the clever use of room geometry. I soloed Hymdall in Halls of Valor tonight. The fight took about 6 minutes and at no time was I in any danger of actually dying. I'll give some higher difficulties a shot tomorrow and Tuesday when my respective lockouts finish.

I've linked a video of my kill below, but be warned, I play on a fairly crappy laptop and the screen recording software also chunks frames some, so it's not the most pretty thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LntfooCgTyQ

Deleted
    Are you standing at the corner of the room so that the Healing Spheres spawn right inside your character for instant healing? I think I miss a point here, because in theory you could just step left and right to collect them. Haven't played a BrM in a while, would be interested in some sort of a clarification.
    Edit: Nevermind, just reread your post, stupid me.
    Last edited by mmoc41ddb21021; 2016-09-05 at 07:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad to see obstinate determination is this powerful for soloing, don't think it's going to be strong enough to have us competing with vengeance or blood, but it's a huge relief to me that our self healing isn't completely irrelevant once the artifact starts to progress. Leveling dungeons had me pretty much convinced otherwise.

Just a quick update. I managed to solo Heroic Hymdall today, though it was more difficult, I actually had to mitigate with brews more actively. I actually died the first two times and had to adjust my talents some. In the end, Black Ox Brew and High Tolerance got the job done.

I don't think Mythic would be practical in my current gear (ilvl 838) but I'll give a shot anyhow tomorrow, for science.

Quote Originally Posted by skeptyc View Post
    Just a quick update. I managed to solo Heroic Hymdall today, though it was more difficult, I actually had to mitigate with brews more actively. I actually died the first two times and had to adjust my talents some. In the end, Black Ox Brew and High Tolerance got the job done.

I don't think Mythic would be practical in my current gear (ilvl 838) but I'll give a shot anyhow tomorrow, for science.
    Ever get that Mythic accomplished?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're curious, the final boss in Black Rook Hold is soloable as BrM on mythic if you can survive till you get the buff from the ghost. Had the entire party wipe to the first laserbeam and soloed it in ilvl 832 gear with Gift of the Mists talented.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptyc View Post

Isn't High Tolerance supposed to be the worst talent in that row for tanking? People usually go for Elusive Dance or Black Out Comob which is great in conjunction with Hot Blooded (gives almost permanent 6% less damage) and helps decrease brew CD.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

I didn't manage to get Mythic down when I tried, but my ilevel is now 10 points higher so I am trying it again this week - it was very hit or miss, so we'll see if I have more success this time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Isn't High Tolerance supposed to be the worst talent in that row for tanking? People usually go for Elusive Dance or Black Out Comob which is great in conjunction with Hot Blooded (gives almost permanent 6% less damage) and helps decrease brew CD.
    For soloing, I went HT because it puts more of the damage I take into my stagger which I can then clear off. I don't so much care about *doing* damage (so long as I can beat enrage timers) as I care about not getting hit so hard that when an orb spawns at 35% I'll have taken too much damage to heal back up above 35%. For day to day tanking I tend to run BoB.
    Last edited by skeptyc; 2016-09-12 at 09:59 PM.

Isn't High Tolerance supposed to be the worst talent in that row for tanking?
    No? 10% stagger and 10-15% haste is huge. If anything BoC is probably the worst tanking talent, since it's more focused around dealing damage than increasing survivability and has an extremely high margin for error.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xahz View Post
    No? 10% stagger and 10-15% haste is huge. If anything BoC is probably the worst tanking talent, since it's more focused around dealing damage than increasing survivability and has an extremely high margin for error.
    I love BoC. It's very intuitive and I don't see myself ever dropping it as I've become accustomed to its playstyle.

Legit question though, how is 10% extra stagger and 10-15% haste better than 15% more purify and 15% dodge for tanking?

I can see it being good for mitigating HUGE upfront burst damage, but in the long run Elusive Dance should be better mitigation because it eliminates for damage from Stagger and provides up to 15% dodge. Makes High Tolerance more of a niche ability for that one boss that does crazy high physical burst.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

I love BoC. It's very intuitive and I don't see myself ever dropping it as I've become accustomed to its playstyle.
    You'll probably drop it if you get the legendary that resets BoF on Keg Smash, since that negates one of the main draws of BoC. Or when you get enough haste that it becomes impossible to consistently weave in BoS without energy capping.

how is 10% extra stagger and 10-15% haste better than 15% more purify and 15% dodge for tanking?
    I didn't say it was. Elusive Dance doesn't give any extra brew charges and doesn't help with damage smoothing. It does give better mitigation in the long run, but if mitigation was the only thing that mattered for tanks BrM would be completely worthless right now.