Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    After Mafia II and the review embargo before release, the writing was on the wall for this. Will most likely be in an okay state for Steam holiday sale. Next year.

Well, the patch with the 60fps cap/unlimited framerate is apparently coming in the next few days, so that's good.

All I know is that I'm playing Mafia II right now and it's bloody fantastic so far. Only a few hours in but if the whole game is this good I'll likely pick up Mafia III soon afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Well, the patch with the 60fps cap/unlimited framerate is apparently coming in the next few days, so that's good.

All I know is that I'm playing Mafia II right now and it's bloody fantastic so far. Only a few hours in but if the whole game is this good I'll likely pick up Mafia III soon afterwards.
    Mafia 3 is nothing like Mafia 2 outside of Vito being in the game and the name.

Mafia 2 was a linear story in an open world. Mafia 3 is an open world grind quest doing repetitive missions to open up objectives in the world to progress the story.

Mafia 2 was a great game, Mafia 3 is not. Mafia 3 is not a bad game, but definitely just an average GTA clone now instead of being what made the Mafia series great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Mafia 3 is nothing like Mafia 2 outside of Vito being in the game and the name.

Mafia 2 was a linear story in an open world. Mafia 3 is an open world grind quest doing repetitive missions to open up objectives in the world to progress the story.

Mafia 2 was a great game, Mafia 3 is not. Mafia 3 is not a bad game, but definitely just an average GTA clone now instead of being what made the Mafia series great.
    Eh, I'm alright with that. If they can nail the setting like they've done with Mafia II I'll just pleased as punch. I usually end up doing all those grindy side-activities in open world games anyways (usually finishing all/most before the main story even), so that works for me.

10+ Year Old Account

The 60fps/unlimited patch has already hit pc. I'll update how it performs once I have the time to play for a bit.

Update: Runs at a fairly consistent 100fps with some dips down to the 80's. Looks a lot better now, the bluriness I saw was just a volumetric lighting effect that looked poor during movement. The fact that it's been deployed so quickly and it works just fine makes it even more confusing as to why it wasn't released in this state. So many bad reviews could've been avoided.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2016-10-09 at 02:41 AM.

Never played a Mafia game before too. But this looks really good. I'll probably give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Eh, I'm alright with that. If they can nail the setting like they've done with Mafia II I'll just pleased as punch. I usually end up doing all those grindy side-activities in open world games anyways (usually finishing all/most before the main story even), so that works for me.
    From what I've seen and played the setting and writing is the best thing about the game. The writing is soooo good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    The 60fps/unlimited patch has already hit pc. I'll update how it performs once I have the time to play for a bit.

Update: Runs at a fairly consistent 100fps with some dips down to the 80's. Looks a lot better now, the bluriness I saw was just a volumetric lighting effect that looked poor during movement. The fact that it's been deployed so quickly and it works just fine makes it even more confusing as to why it wasn't released in this state. So many bad reviews could've been avoided.
    They probably did not just whip up a patch in the couple of days it has been released.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    They probably did not just whip up a patch in the couple of days it has been released.
    All the more reason to delay the launch a couple of days until it was ready?

But from what I've read, performance is only one of several issues this game has, including a sketchy physics engine and frequent game-breaking bugs, most of which this patch didn't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post

I can imagine the console people have hard dates they want to hit, and force these games out the door when they're not ready. I feel that happened with No Man's Sky (to much more disasterous effect), and it happened to the latest Batman game where the consoles had their date, the publisher wanted it on PC on the same day, so they rushed a shit PC port because the console date apparently couldn't bend.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I can imagine the console people have hard dates they want to hit, and force these games out the door when they're not ready. I feel that happened with No Man's Sky (to much more disasterous effect), and it happened to the latest Batman game where the consoles had their date, the publisher wanted it on PC on the same day, so they rushed a shit PC port because the console date apparently couldn't bend.
    Why again should the console date bend if the console versions are finished?

If the PC versions aren't ready to go, the fault is on the people doing the PC port not the guys who made sure the console version was working properly.

Just like with Batman there have been very little to minor complaints about the console versions of Mafia 3. If the PC port was out sourced or handled by another group internally it's on them, not the lead developers who clearly got the game ready to go on consoles.

Why again should the console date bend if the console versions are finished?

If the PC versions aren't ready to go, the fault is on the people doing the PC port not the guys who made sure the console version was working properly.

Just like with Batman there have been very little to minor complaints about the console versions of Mafia 3. If the PC port was out sourced or handled by another group internally it's on them, not the lead developers who clearly got the game ready to go on consoles.
    Well, yeah, I don't think the blame should be on the developers. I think it should be on the publishers and, in part, on Sony/Microsoft for needing a game out at a certain point to meet their quarterlies.

For example, say you could have a perfect PC port, but it would push the PC release to January, Q1. Publishers don't like releasing things on PC later than the consoles because it's near impossible to hype up two different dates. PC players don't like it either because they feel shafted out of a game. Developers almost HAVE to start development on the console, because that's the "base" hardware, and then adapt it for the ever-changing specs of the PC enthusiast crowd. In that case, your options are to convince the console guys to push the date to Q1 for a simultaneous release, which they don't want to do, or do a rushed PC port on October 9th with a promise that it'll be patched as soon as humanly possible.

It's a distressing trend in cross platform development in the past few years, imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: There is a third option: plan for the port. My impression is that the console guys are saying, "When can it be ready for PS/Xbox?" and don't give a shit about the time you need for a port. I imagine you can't tell Sony, "Well, it'll be ready in early October, but we need until January for the PC port." Sony isn't going to give a shit about that, they'll want it in October.

So then what do you say to Sony? "It'll be ready in January." Then October comes around, they want to keep track of development, they'll see a complete game ready and you switching focus to porting it, and they'll want to push it out the door for Christmas sales and be pissed you are ahead of the date you gave them.

This is just my musings from a business standpoint, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Well, yeah, I don't think the blame should be on the developers. I think it should be on the publishers and, in part, on Sony/Microsoft for needing a game out at a certain point to meet their quarterlies.
    The fault shouldn't be on Sony/Microsoft at all and good chance they didn't have shit to do with it.

Sony and Microsoft rarely have anything to do with 3rd party release dates. The blame is on the Publisher and the PC Port Developer no one else.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Wait a second does this guy actually think Sony and MS give a shit when any non exclusive 3rd party game releases? You already paid their licensing fees to develop, they're getting their 30% cut when game releases. They give a rats ass. If that was the case you wouldn't see games delayed all the time. Mafia 3 alone got delayed twice.

If the PC port isn't ready to go you can feel free to delay it all you want. Thinking they should delay the console version on top of it which was ready to go is laughable. Blaming any console release date on a port being shit is laughable. There are plenty of games with universal launches that work perfectly fine on PC, singling out the few that don't and blaming it on the "evil consoles" lol kay.

Wait a second does this guy actually think Sony and MS give a shit when any non exclusive 3rd party game releases? You already paid their licensing fees to develop, they're getting their 30% cut when game releases. They give a rats ass. If that was the case you wouldn't see games delayed all the time. Mafia 3 alone got delayed twice.

If the PC port isn't ready to go you can feel free to delay it all you want. Thinking they should delay the console version on top of it which was ready to go is laughable. Blaming any console release date on a port being shit is laughable. There are plenty of games with universal launches that work perfectly fine on PC, singling out the few that don't and blaming it on the "evil consoles" lol kay.
    Bet they think its Sony's/Microsofts fault GTAV took so long to come to PC....

The lengths people go to blame consoles for shit is just amazing. The Console version shouldn't be delayed just so the PC version releases the same day and vise versa.

If that was the case then the PC version of X-Com 2 should have been delayed until the console version came out.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

yeah, playing a tanned degenerate-looking guy.
    Mafia III is not a mafia game. it's cucked, PC, dlc-ridden fail and a portrait of today's gaming industry

Please post respectfully and productively. Racism is not welcome here. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2016-10-12 at 11:29 PM.

The first couple of hours makes it seem like this game will be amazing....and then the open-world design starts. I am usually opposed to watching cutscenes of games on youtube, but I think this is the perfect example where that may be ok. Game gets really boring to play, but the story and writing are solid. I will probably watch it when the content gets uploaded.

I enjoy the hell out of mafia 3.I got it on ps4 so had no bugs or issues.They fucked up pc port