How do you use Remorseless Winter?

When I play Frost DK and think of Obliterates and Howling Blast as rune dumps, I don't know where Remorseless Winter fits for the fact it costs a rune, eats a GCD, and does minimal damage in all honesty. Also the fact it's not exactly on my mind when in the heat of fighting.

So I want to know how others are utilizing it. Right now I have Remorseless Winter set to a bizarrely intricate cast sequence macro with Obliterate that ensures if I'm fighting, it'll cast in between my rotations without the need for thinking about its use, but this means it's out of my control if I wanted to ever use "Winter is Coming."

First of all, don't use Howling Blast as a rune dump, only with Rime. Second, I only use Remorless if I have 2+ mobs. It's single target damage is not good.

I've been using RW vs ST because currently I'm at 31.10% Mastery, 1 relic +1% Frost damage and 2 relics into Dead of Winter for a total boost +25% dmg to RW.

It's tooltip is 82,935 dmg, add in 10% from RI 82,935*1.1= 91,228.5 My OB is 95,360-111,709, RW does more dmg with 1 rune than OB does with 2 after OB gets reduced by armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    I've been using RW vs ST because currently I'm at 31.10% Mastery, 1 relic +1% Frost damage and 2 relics into Dead of Winter for a total boost +25% dmg to RW.

It's tooltip is 82,935 dmg, add in 10% from RI 82,935*1.1= 91,228.5 My OB is 95,360-111,709, RW does more dmg with 1 rune than OB does with 2 after OB gets reduced by armor.
    But Oblit procs Rime.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    But Oblit procs Rime.
    Guaranteed damage versus a proc...I'll take the definitive damage....I usually only use RW though if I have a single rune proc from ME/RE and it's off cooldown.

I use it to keep frozen pulse going on single target. So if I don't have KM for a scythe, but I have a single rune and glacial advance is on CD I will use remorseless winter to keep frozen pulse going. Remorseless is not terrible for a single rune, I just use it in that scenario that comes up somewhat frequently because of the strength of frozen pulse and it is better to do a RW than a non rime blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post
    I use it to keep frozen pulse going on single target. So if I don't have KM for a scythe, but I have a single rune and glacial advance is on CD I will use remorseless winter to keep frozen pulse going. Remorseless is not terrible for a single rune, I just use it in that scenario that comes up somewhat frequently because of the strength of frozen pulse and it is better to do a RW than a non rime blast.
    Oh that's actually pretty clever. I never used Frozen Pulse because of the fact there was always one rune remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Oh that's actually pretty clever. I never used Frozen Pulse because of the fact there was always one rune remaining.
    I went back to it, and am already debating switching out of it. I sincerely despise the gameplay of it. Was in a heroic dungeon with an 830-840 unholy dk and actually kept up with him fairly well. I think if I had just stuck to ME/Freezing Fog I would've outdps'd him. However, it felt good to compete with an unholy DK even if it was just for a heroic dungeon.

Hahaha I swear this thread was "How do you use Remorseless Water?"

I thought, damn people are guilty about drinking water now??
    Sorry but had a good laugh once I realized I read it quite wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    I went back to it, and am already debating switching out of it. I sincerely despise the gameplay of it. Was in a heroic dungeon with an 830-840 unholy dk and actually kept up with him fairly well. I think if I had just stuck to ME/Freezing Fog I would've outdps'd him. However, it felt good to compete with an unholy DK even if it was just for a heroic dungeon.
    i might be retarded for playing Frost, but top PvPers claim it's just as good as Unholy in PvP somehow. I don't get how that works because they claim its strength is in its burst and insane sustained damage output, but if Unholy is outperforming it by miles in PvE, how is it different in PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    i might be retarded for playing Frost, but top PvPers claim it's just as good as Unholy in PvP somehow. I don't get how that works because they claim its strength is in its burst and insane sustained damage output, but if Unholy is outperforming it by miles in PvE, how is it different in PvP
    I'm wondering that myself...unholy gets necrotic strike...which was the reason they were brought over frost until WoD....They lost it Frost took over and now they get it back....that makes no sense to me. I love the gameplay of frost, but it has some serious problems I'd personally love to see get addressed.

On the PvP front, remember that PvP is about how much you can chunk someones life during a CC or to capitalize on a greedy over extension. Unholy does tons of damage, but it is all in small numbers that add up and in PvP some of that can be mitigated by the pet not being on you, talents that reduce dot damage, etc. Frost is all about big hits and big crits and there are talents to make that on demand, couple that with being able to reset all your runes on command and sindragosa's fury and you can have really high burst.