Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Legion - 3.3 Million Copies Sold, Patch 7.0.3 Hotfixes - September 7, Blue Tweets

Diablo 2 Bosses Remade in HD

Cart Crash at the Crossroads is This Week's Tavern Brawl!

Rotation & Weekly Sales for Sept. 6, 2016, WTF Moments #62, Funny & WP Moments #82

Legion - 3.3 Million Copies Sold
    Blizzard published sales numbers for Legion, with the total copies sold on Day 1 matching Warlords of Draenor and Cataclysm:

• The Burning Crusade - 2.4M First Day, 3.5M First Month
    • Wrath of the Lich King - 2.8M First Day, 4M First Month
    • Cataclysm - 3.3M First Day, 4.7M First Month
    • Mists of Pandaria - 2.7M First Week
    • Warlords of Draenor - 3.3M First Day
    • Legion - 3.3M First Day

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    With Azeroth on the brink of destruction, heroes from around the world were summoned to drive back the Burning Legion’s armies last week with the launch of World of Warcraft®: Legion™, the sixth expansion to Blizzard Entertainment’s acclaimed massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Today, Blizzard announced that players have forged a truly formidable defensive front—as of the expansion’s first full day of launch on August 30, more than 3.3 million copies of Legion had sold through, matching the all-time record achieved by previous expansions and making it one of the fastest-selling PC games ever. In addition, World of Warcraft’s launch-week player concurrency climbed to its highest point since the 2010 launch of the Cataclysm expansion, as champions from around the world united to strike a mighty first blow against the fel invaders. But the battle has only just begun.

“It’s been a thrill to see players hunting demons, powering up Artifacts, and freely exploring all the new zones in Legion,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “We worked hard to make this the best World of Warcraft expansion yet, and we look forward to providing players with even more content as Legion’s epic story unfolds in the months ahead.”

While players are currently entrenched against the first wave of demonic invaders, Legion’s next exciting chapter is already in the works. Last weekend at PAX West, Blizzard unveiled new details on the expansion’s upcoming first major content update, Patch 7.1: Return to Karazhan, featuring a reimagined version of one of World of Warcraft's most popular raids. Players will explore a sprawling five-player Mythic dungeon, facing familiar foes from Karazhan’s past—and encountering plenty of surprises and twists along the way. The update also features a new set of quests unfolding over multiple weeks in the fallen night elf city of Suramar, as well as a brand-new raid: the Trial of Valor, which sends players deep into the vrykul underworld of Helheim.

Patch 7.0.3 Hotfixes - September 7
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Classes

Hunter (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    • Barrage now fires in a tighter cone, and its visual has been improved to better show its area of effect.
      • Developers’ Notes-- Barrage fulfills a fantasy of a wild spray of shots in a large area. Of course, that can be dangerous, and often Hunters accidentally pull additional enemies with Barrage, especially in Legion dungeons. We saw this as a failure on our part to convey what it actually does. This hotfix should allow Hunters to get a feel for the shape and size of it and build a reliable expectation of what will happen when they cast Barrage. No change was made to Barrage’s damage. We hope that this helps Hunters and their groupmates to have a more pleasant dungeon experience.

Rogue (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    • Outlaw Rogues with Curse of the Dreadblades ability active will no longer take the backlash damage if Saber Slash strikes a second time.

Shaman (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    • The Enhancement Shaman Stormflurry Artifact Trait will now properly interact with the Ascendance talent and the Windstrike ability.

Warrior (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    • The Fury Warrior Artifact Trait Odyn's Champion has had its chance to activate doubled, but its effectiveness has been lowered. The tooltip will be incorrect until a future patch.

Class Halls
    • The Vault Ticket (Rogue) is now a daily reset instead of weekly reset. This may not take effect until next Tuesday if you have already looted the Vault this week.
    • The "Deadlier Warglaives" quest (Demon Hunter) will now only consume a single Obliterum.

Dungeons

Maw of Souls
    • Helya: Decreased the frequency of Helya's Taint of the Sea during the Breached Vessel phase.
    • Helya: Altered the visual of Corrupted Bellow in order to perform better on lower-end machines.
    • Helya: Lowered the baseline damage of Corrupted Bellow and added a damage increase on subsequent damage events.

Holiday
    • Darkmoon Faire tinctures and droughts no longer work at 110.

NPCs
    • Vault Keepers in Stormheim should no longer become stuck and prevent players from looting the Glimmering Treasure Chest.

PvP
    • Players in a raid group will no longer earn PVP credit, nor receive Sightless Eyes in the Underbelly.

Professions

Cooking
    • (Work in progress) Fixing a bug that prevents players from being able to turn in “Opening the Test Kitchen” to Nomi.

Fishing

Quests
    • The damage done by the Fel Annihilator in the Battle for the Exodar scenario has been reduced.
    • Players who have completed "Jarl Come Back Now" but are not Neutral with Jandvik Vrykul can return to Toryl in Jandvik to get their reputation reset.

Suramar
    • Blackhawk's Bulwark PvP Captains should respawn more quickly.
    • Fel Cannons in Felsoul Hold should respawn more quickly.

Zones
    • An unintended increase in player population in certain zones, notably Class Halls, has been fixed.

Blue Tweets
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Classes
    Will there be class tuning in 7.0.3?
    Yep! We'll continue to adjust class tuning as needed, and are closely monitoring how each spec is performing. (WarcraftDevs)

Druid (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    Why doesn't Mark of Ursol count as AM for mechanics like first boss of Vault of the Wardens? Odd to use Ironfur vs magic dmg
    We focused on consistency for that type of check in Legion, but agree that Mark of Ursol seems weird. Will discuss! (WarcraftDevs)

Mage (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    Ignite is spreading to neutral targets during combat. Intended? Makes for interesting fights in Eye of Aszhara
    Yes, Ignite intentionally spreads very aggressively. Playing with fire can be dangerous! (WarcraftDevs)

Priest (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    Hey guys, can you pls confirm if Driven to Madness (Talent) is supposed to only work outside VF
    Intentional. Driven to Madness only grants Insanity from non-periodic damage taken outside of Voidform. (WarcraftDevs)

Character / Items
    if we active the orbs & down kosumoth to unlock the WQto get the pet this week will we have to do it again to get the mount?
    Nope, once you're attuned, you're attuned. (Muffinus)

PvP
    did you increase the honor level required for 840+ rewards? back to 805 after seeing 840 for a bit.
    Works like all other world quest rewards. They are not predetermined. But your chance at better loot increases with honor level. (holinka)

Loving Legion, great job so far. Can you confirm the ilvl threshold that you must be over to get the small % stat increase? 850?
    800 (holinka)

Professions
    Can Oddly Shaped Stomachs go in leatherworking bags please?
    Good suggestion. This will be fixed in Patch 7.1. (WarcraftDevs)

is infernal brimstone WQ supposed to be weekly or daily? Killed that should be up today but nothing popped up.
    On average, you'll see it every three days. This is also true for the Felwort, Felhide, and Bacon World Quests. (WarcraftDevs)

will professions continue to upgrade past 850 with new content patches or is that going to be limit for gear from them?
    Yep. In fact, we plan to increase the Obliterum cap to 855 in Patch 7.1. (WarcraftDevs)

Rank 3 Skinning providing no improvement over Rank 1. Intended?
    Ranks 2 and 3 both give a chance at an additional skin/scale. Rank 2 also gives a chance for Blood of Sargeras. (WarcraftDevs)
    Last edited by chaud; 2016-09-08 at 01:13 PM.

Haha, I bet they would love to release the sub-numbers right now. Too bad you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Mabye they get "leaked" in the near feature if Legion proves to be a permanent success.
    Thank's for the honey, father bear.
    Nom Nom nom!

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Inb4 this thread gets flooded by idiots who can't comprehend the "day one" bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post

LOL So true.

It is good to see it had Really healthy day1 sales figures. The game does Feel more "full" of people compared to WoD

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    the facebook post is getting swarmed by them. Since no one bothers to actually check the link. only read the header.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually really surprised the expansion only sold 3.3m, I was kind of expecting it to be atleast 4m, I thought the Mythic Dungeons, artifact weapons, Dalaran being a city again and the new Demon Hunter class would have bought alot more people back to WoW

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaine View Post
    I'm actually really surprised the expansion only sold 3.3m, I was kind of expecting it to be atleast 4m, I thought the Mythic Dungeons, artifact weapons, Dalaran being a city again and the new Demon Hunter class would have bought alot more people back to WoW
    Day 1. DAY 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrok View Post
    Haha, I bet they would love to release the sub-numbers right now. Too bad you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Mabye they get "leaked" in the near feature if Legion proves to be a permanent success.
    Only if they publish sub numbers 2-3 months down afterwards.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    as of the expansion’s first full day of launch on August 30, more than 3.3 million copies of Legion had sold
    launch-week player concurrency climbed to its highest point since the 2010 launch of the Cataclysm expansion
    The fact they are using selective phrases like this instead of simply saying "subs have risen from X to Y" worries me somewhat, obvious propaganda news is worse than no news.

Players in a raid group will no longer earn PVP credit, nor receive Sightless Eyes in the Underbelly.
    I don't understand why they would change this.

These 3.3 were the slowpokes. The other 7 million prepurchased.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    The fact they are using selective phrases like this instead of simply saying "subs have risen from X to Y" worries me somewhat, obvious propaganda news is worse than no news.
    1st one is a metric that we've always had on expansion launch.
    2nd one basically tells you that we have more than 10m (MoP and WoD launch) without them taking away their "we won't be releasing subscription numbers anymore).

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orangespire View Post
    Or maybe it has something to do with that public notice that they would no longer be releasing sub numbers? Just a wild shot in the dark there..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by orangespire View Post
    Those raids were making it literally impossible for people without a raid to do anything at all down there.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    The 3.3 includes pre-purchases.

"as of the expansion’s first full day of launch on August 30, more than 3.3 million copies of Legion had sold"

Well that's day ONE sales, and matched it's highest day one sales numbers from cata, when the subs were at 12mil. I think it's pretty safe to assume it did bring people back.

Quote Originally Posted by SexyManipulator View Post
    Day 1. DAY 1.
    Who even buys an expansion if they're not intending to get in on the first day, realistically? Certainly there'll be substantial sales trickling in for at least the first couple of weeks to maybe a month, but they'll be a fraction of the initial rush.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzet View Post
    Who even buys an expansion if they're not intending to get in on the first day, realistically? Certainly there'll be substantial sales trickling in for at least the first couple of weeks to maybe a month, but they'll be a fraction of the initial rush.
    Well, Cata sold an additional 1.4m in the following three weeks, which is certainly not a 'fraction'.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    Pretty sure 3.3M includes the pre-purchases. Boxes sold by day 1 includes everything that was bought on and before day 1. "as of the expansion’s first full day of launch on August 30, more than 3.3 million copies of Legion had sold through"

The issue is afaik mostif not all players in the east (that pay for gametime in hours instead of a monthly subscription) don't have to buy expansions to play them, and they're usually around 50% or more of the number of "subscriptions".

Chances are subs/activity is similar to WoD numbers by now, but we can't really know, it's just speculation.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-09-08 at 02:06 PM.

So with Chinese having to buy the expansion like the rest of the world for the first time, it's 3.3mil
    hahahahahah

Essentially if you take them out it's like 50% of what WoD sold in comparative numbers.
    Last edited by Roadblock; 2016-09-08 at 02:15 PM.

Accounting magic. These numbers do not mean as much with prepurchases.

Basically saying "3.3M sales moved from column A to B when the game launched". 3.3M people did not buy the game on the same day. Did prepurchasing exist with Cata? I forget. If not that would be more impressive by comparison.

These numbers would show, though, that proportionally more people returned for Legion than WoD, so that's good.