Looking for a new monitor to go with my laptop that I can use in a desktop when I buy

So this is what I have now: a 2 year old 27" iMac and this laptop: https://www.pccomponentes.com/msi-ge...gtx-960m-17-3-
    (with an ssd and 8 extra gb of ram)

I mainly play on the imac because of the screen but the graphics card is shit and the mac is mainly my work computer and I'd rather use the laptop for gaming. I have plans of buying a good desktop computer in the near future (no longer than a year) but before I do I want to buy a monitor so I can use the laptop for gaming and when I buy the desktop use the monitor for the desktop.

Thing is: the iMac is 27" and a 2k resolution. Even with the crappy hardware it moves wow nicely on medium settings and it's a pleasure to see it on such a big screen. I've talked to a friend who knows about hardware and he says the laptops graphics card can't handle a 2k resolution and that put me off a bit since that was what I was aiming for. Tbh the imac can pull it (albeit on lower settings specially on big raids), why can't the laptop? The card is much better. I assume it's not going to work on ultra, but medium and stable fps is fine for me. And I don't like the idea of buying a 1920 monitor and when I get the desktop with a nice good graphics card I'll have to stick with a subpar monitor.

The other issue is the money. My budget is around 350€ which gives me a super good 1920 monitor or a low end 2k. What would you guys do?

EDIT: Besides WoW the laptop is mainly used for steam indie games, I don't play any games that need very high graphics.
    Last edited by Drael; 2016-09-09 at 08:02 AM.

Signature Portfolio - Signature Tutorial - PM requests: Not taking requests ATM - DO NOT PM MULTIPLE ARTISTS!

I really whish people would stop referring to 2560x1440p as 2k, it is not 2k 1920x1080 is (or is a lot closer to it anyways).

Now to the matter at hand, what size monitor did you have in mind? If you want to keep 27" I would advise to get a 1440p as 1080p might look pixelated if you go for smaller 1080p should be enough.

You GPU will struggle on 1440p in wow in certain area's but since it's temporary it's up to you if you can live with it, you will however need to buy a more powerful GPU with your final desktop build to power it which will add to the cost (depending ofc on the games you play).

Also 27" 1440p with your budget will not give you much choice in screens and most will be on the lower end of the spectrum.

Imho it is better to spend some more on a good screen since you will look at is all the time and it can last you several new computer builds but ofc if budget does not allow it that's another thing no need to go in debt for it either.

Yeah, the 2k thing was something that friend said, I mean 2560x1440. I don't mind having a smaller monitor (maybe 24), I just want it to be good (at least I want it to not look worse than the imac).

So I guess by what you say I need to find myself the best I can get for my buck right? And the laptop will have to handle it how it can. Of course my desktop will have an awesome graphics card. The thing is I wanted to buy the desktop now but having to buy everything + the monitor was too much money for me now so buying the monitor first will allow me to buy a better desktop later on.

TL;DR: what's the best monitor I can get for 350€?

Signature Portfolio - Signature Tutorial - PM requests: Not taking requests ATM - DO NOT PM MULTIPLE ARTISTS!

For 24 inch this one is considered pretty good on this forum.
    Not sure about 27 inch, I have been using this one b4 I bought my g-sync one and still use it as 2nd screen, it's pretty nice, but over your budget.

Maybe @Remilia can join in being our resident monitor connaisseur

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    For 24 inch this one is considered pretty good on this forum.
    Not sure about 27 inch, I have been using this one b4 I bought my g-sync one and still use it as 2nd screen, it's pretty nice, but over your budget.

Maybe @Remilia can join in being our resident monitor connaisseur
    Why me D:
    I want to be lazy and play PSO2.

Anyways, at that budget, a GW2765HT actually fits nicely in terms of what you're used to, so a 2560x1440 27" IPS-type. It's a semi-glossy so it's not going to look as great as the Mac one due to being a full glossy coating. Performance wise it's pretty decent but do note that it doesn't have extra fluff like USB hubs and what not.

Since you're quoting euros so I don't know what the pricing is at your country but at least pcpartpicker is noting 380, which isn't too bad.
    http://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/Y...nitor-gw2765ht

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Why me D:
    I want to be lazy and play PSO2.

Anyways, at that budget, a GW2765HT actually fits nicely in terms of what you're used to, so a 2560x1440 27" IPS-type. It's a semi-glossy so it's not going to look as great as the Mac one due to being a full glossy coating. Performance wise it's pretty decent but do note that it doesn't have extra fluff like USB hubs and what not.

Since you're quoting euros so I don't know what the pricing is at your country but at least pcpartpicker is noting 380, which isn't too bad.
    http://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/Y...nitor-gw2765ht
    Thanks a lot for the input, and thanks a ton Denpepe too. I live in Spain so euros is what I use, yes That Benq monitor looks pretty sweet and I don't need them to be super similar to the imac or anything just generally don't suck or be way too small/have crappy resolution compared to the monitor next to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drael View Post
    Thanks a lot for the input, and thanks a ton Denpepe too. I live in Spain so euros is what I use, yes That Benq monitor looks pretty sweet and I don't need them to be super similar to the imac or anything just generally don't suck or be way too small/have crappy resolution compared to the monitor next to them.
    It's a fairy decent performer for the price. I personally have it also, and it's decently built for what you get too.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2765ht.htm

If youre going to go 1440p....

Just use the iMac.

Look up "Target Display Mode" - bam, done. You can even use the Macs USB ports and media drive (if it has one).

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    If youre going to go 1440p....

Just use the iMac.

Look up "Target Display Mode" - bam, done. You can even use the Macs USB ports and media drive (if it has one).
    Target Display Mode does not work with windows, so that is not a solution. also I said that I need to buy a monitor for my future desktop computer, so I still need recommendations on monitors even if you forget about the laptop issue altogether.