Does a Sound Card improve my microphone volume?

Hey all.

My motherboard uses a Realtek HD software to control volume and microphone. I have had different headset and always my microphone sounds very low, and I have to increase to +10, +20dB to have a decent volume. But with this solution I have also a lot of noise from breath, etc.

Now, I have bought a Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver and have the same issue. I have no idea about sound, so I want to know if a sound card can solve part of the problem and if I can get a better volume level using it.

Thanks and sorry for my grammar.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly? This is pretty normal for 3.5mm jack microphones... this is why I gave up on them for stuff like gaming. I now use a USB mic - specifically the Blue Snowball. It's pretty wonderful.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Micropho...=blue+snowball

Example audio:

I hate jumping straight into suggesting something else, but honestly, I had a sound card, it didn't change jack shit for me, these things just suck, IMO. Go USB and never go back. So much better sound control, IMO, sounds clearer and cleaner, without using things like XLR cables, preamps, etc etc etc, that are what you really need for truly decent sounding mic'ing.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Honestly? This is pretty normal for 3.5mm jack microphones... this is why I gave up on them for stuff like gaming. I now use a USB mic - specifically the Blue Snowball. It's pretty wonderful.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Micropho...=blue+snowball

Example audio:

I hate jumping straight into suggesting something else, but honestly, I had a sound card, it didn't change jack shit for me, these things just suck, IMO. Go USB and never go back. So much better sound control, IMO, sounds clearer and cleaner, without using things like XLR cables, preamps, etc etc etc, that are what you really need for truly decent sounding mic'ing.
    Thank you!

But, do you have to be so close to it to get a good voice level? Or can I get a good sound if put it like "me>keyboard>microphone" 20-25cm more or less.
    Last edited by Yunc4; 2016-09-10 at 09:41 AM.

it depends on the program you use you can adjust inbound and outbound volumes in windows audio settings as well as in things like mumble or vent... I always go into these programs and adjust it. My cheesy 15 year old 5$ mic works pretty good and im like 2 feet away....
    Also in vent or mumble you can set it to test mode so you hear what your sound level is.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunc4 View Post
    Thank you!

But, do you have to be so close to it to get a good voice level? Or can I get a good sound if put it like "me>keyboard>microphone" 20-25cm more or less.
    This is a condenser microphone, you can select the pattern of the pickup from directional to omnidirectional. Cheap microphones are directional almost always. You need only have the snowball in the same room as you to have a conversation you most certainly do not have to be breathing on it, though you will probably want it on the directional setting to avoid background noise. People can tell when you are far away but they can hear you. Since it is USB you should also be able to set the volume to whatever you need since it shows up as it's own device.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Ouch, some stuff in this thread causes almost physical pain. "USB sounds better than XLR" and stuff like that.

Not saying that you need a quality mic, a preamp and an audio interface for gaming. But the blatant misinformation is hard to leave uncommented.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Ouch, some stuff in this thread causes almost physical pain. "USB sounds better than XLR" and stuff like that.

Not saying that you need a quality mic, a preamp and an audio interface for gaming. But the blatant misinformation is hard to leave uncommented.

that's not what he said, he meant if only using a mic, USB wil be better if you do not want to spend money on all the other high end stuff which then will be better but costs a lot more.

Deleted
    I use a focusrite 2i2, along with a Rode NT2-a.

if i dont watch out, people can hear me being on the toilet upstairs if i dont turn down the sensitivity lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post

My bad, that was worded poorly.

I meant to say it sounds better than having to resort to using XLR, preamp, etc etc. I once was using all of that for my setup, but it was absolutely ridiculous, it's not like I was trying to record anything THAT sensitive, you know?

But yeah, my bad! Didn't mean to come across that way. XD

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    that's not what he said, he meant if only using a mic, USB wil be better if you do not want to spend money on all the other high end stuff which then will be better but costs a lot more.
    Cheers @Denpepe. ^_^
    "A flower.

Thanks you all guys.

I'm looking the Snoball and the Krom Kimu that is a bit cheaper.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunc4 View Post
    Thank you!

That's how I have mine setup!

I have it on directional, set to 100 in the sound properties for recording devices. ^_^

I am 90% certain the microphone is behind my keyboard in this video and you can hear the quality still.

I also just measured the distance from my mouth and the microphone currently and it's 2 feet~ away from me... That is 61 centimeters! I've had no complaints from people on Mumble.

Here's a video example where I have the mic, literally up against me in front of my keyboard, you'll see it. :P

(Turn your volume down a bit)

"A flower.

Give the Samson Meteor a look. it's alot smaller than the snowball. I use the meteorite. it's alot smaller and it sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    My bad, that was worded poorly.

I meant to say it sounds better than having to resort to using XLR, preamp, etc etc. I once was using all of that for my setup, but it was absolutely ridiculous, it's not like I was trying to record anything THAT sensitive, you know?
    But anyways your advice was certainly right, it's a simpler and way more cost-effective solution to go USB than investing in and screwing around with semi-pro recording gear if you just need to be heard while gaming etc.