10+ Year Old Account

can oem licenses be transfered?

when building computers? currently using oem license for windows 7 home premium. is there anyway to transfer it? i am NOT getting windows 10 right now and i am NOT going to discuss why that is NOT up for discussion. with that out of the way i would really really like to avoid having to delay building my computer any longer and i have an extremely short window in which i can do it since i live with my parents and sister who has kids and the long story short the only surface eligable for use in building is our downstairs kitchen table which is used by them the entire day and they are going to be gone for 3 days. there's also the fact buying another oem would require a clean install which after having to wipe my hard drive just 6 months ago i am adamantly against having to do. should i just call them and tell them the motherboard died anyways? i have all the other parts ready to be assembled.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    when building computers? currently using oem license for windows 7 home premium. is there anyway to transfer it? i am NOT getting windows 10 right now and i am NOT going to discuss why that is NOT up for discussion. with that out of the way i would really really like to avoid having to delay building my computer any longer and i have an extremely short window in which i can do it since i live with my parents and sister who has kids and the long story short the only surface eligable for use in building is our downstairs kitchen table which is used by them the entire day and they are going to be gone for 3 days. there's also the fact buying another oem would require a clean install which after having to wipe my hard drive just 6 months ago i am adamantly against having to do. should i just call them and tell them the motherboard died anyways? i have all the other parts ready to be assembled.
    Technically no but sometimes they (MS) will let you.

10+ Year Old Account
    okay looking at the description for the new oem os on amazon it says it requires a clean install. if i were to buy it then buy a new hard drive install the os on that hard drive then introduce the second (current as of now) hard drive with all my files on it would that keep my save files and stuff that way? or would that screw it up/not work? i really really REALLY don't want to have to start all over AGAIN. and i have several hundred gb worth of data at least 200gb of it is needed. some of it contains mods for games like skyrim that for one reason or another no longer exist and other data that if lost is irreplacable. lastly can i test the computer to make sure it works correctly when im building it without the new os?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2016-09-11 at 08:20 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Deleted
    If you live in the EU it is perfectly legal to transfer any OEM license to any other computer you own.

Usually the OEM licenses check for a CPU or Motherboard code somewhere in there, and deny or approve the license based on the return. If you just swap or add hard drives you will almost certainly not run into any trouble, in fact, it'd be the first time I'd hear about that causing trouble with the licensing system.
    If you get a EU code (even if you don't live in the EU) you can ignore that, those keys don't prevent the activation based on your hardware.

On the other hand swapping a graphics card, sound card, or the processor can trigger the licensing and cause your machine to become unregistered, but that is usually fixed by reentering the key and having windows activate itself again.

10+ Year Old Account
    i live in the u.s. so i don't think i can. would it be any different here?

Deleted
    You may run into the problem that the OEM key won't work if it is one from the US, but that is very unlikely. If you grab a key from an EU store you can definitely do with the key whatever you want and use it on any hardware you find.

But if you're buying from a proper amazon reseller you should be in the clear, unless the description says otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    so just to clarify your saying that i should be able to buy the u.s. oem version of windows 7 install it on a clean new hard drive with new motherboard then introduce the current hard drive i'm using and it will acknowledge it and the save files and stuff?
    or is that i can transfer the license?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2016-09-11 at 08:43 PM.

Deleted
    The license is unaffected by you adding more hard drives, so yes, you can do exactly that.

10+ Year Old Account
    okay thanks for the clarification is there any tests that need an os to be done that i will need to do when building my pc to make sure it works?

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    okay thanks for the clarification is there any tests that need an os to be done that i will need to do when building my pc to make sure it works?
    I run HCI Memtest (not free software) for 10 passes after installing CPU and memory to check for bad RAM. There's other programs you can run within an OS to stress other parts of the system.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    yaarrrrr mateeyy