Thread: Disc in 5 mans

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Disc in 5 mans

Basically the worst healer experience so far. I am by far no "unskilled" player, but Disc in mythic groups right now is pretty much unbearable.

Depending on the group, your entire toolkit becomes almost useless. the premise that you bring lots of damage only work in groups with good players who can actually dodge mechanics, so that rules out 99.9% of todays wow players.

You cant handle AoE. Your shields are a joke. A maybe 200k absorb on people with 1.7m HP and tanks with ~2.5m HP? With the average AoE and voidzone dealing about a million in 4-6 seconds?

And lets not even start with the actual atonement heal. Thats an outright insult. The only time your do some good numbers with that is when mindbender is out.

basically, all you do is use shields on CD and ten nonstop spam Shadow Mend.

Class Fantasy, right guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Katjezz View Post

lmfao there's your problem.

Deleted
    Basically the worst healer experience so far. I am by far no "unskilled" player, but Disc in mythic groups right now is pretty much unbearable.

Depending on the group, your entire toolkit becomes almost useless. the premise that you bring lots of damage only work in groups with good players who can actually dodge mechanics, so that rules out 99.9% of todays wow players.

You cant handle AoE. Your shields are a joke. A maybe 200k absorb on people with 1.7m HP and tanks with ~2.5m HP? With the average AoE and voidzone dealing about a million in 4-6 seconds?

And lets not even start with the actual atonement heal. Thats an outright insult. The only time your do some good numbers with that is when mindbender is out.

I just completed a BRH mythic run with three guildies that literally just leveled to 110 (around 780-90 ilvl); and a decently geared tank.

Use your atonement, forget the silly idea to always heal people back up and slowly heal them back with your dps; the spec works just fine. If group burst healing is needed, just prepare your atonement on the group (like you would do with old disc), cast penance and light wrath.

Of course, that is a different approach than the other healers; that's actually the appeal of the spec. If adapting is too hard for you, you may want to switch to holy; another healing class; or play with shadow covenant and penance heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Geroaergaroe View Post
    I just completed a BRH mythic run with three guildies that literally just leveled to 110 (around 780-90 ilvl); and a decently geared tank.

Use your atonement, forget the silly idea to always heal people back up and slowly heal them back with your dps; the spec works just fine. If group burst healing is needed, just prepare your atonement on the group (like you would do with old disc), cast penance and light wrath.

Of course, that is a different approach than the other healers; that's actually the appeal of the spec. If adapting is too hard for you, you may want to switch to holy; another healing class; or play with shadow covenant and penance heal.
    Thats it though - you need to have a group of people who actually know how to play. Disc can't keep people alive in a group that stands in shit, doesn't use any interrupts or stuns and just thinks that they can faceroll the dungeon. It works great when a group does what they are suppose to though. But hes not far off where disc lacks throughput in 5 mans in trying to catch up if you fall behind.

Disc is in a terrible state right now, with the amount of effort it takes in 5 mans vs holy. Also when there are no mobs to attack, and your entire party is at half health, you have one spell to heal them up. Disc most likely will be okay in raids but the atonement system needs to be looked at. Maybe have it baseline 18 second duration and a better way to apply it other than spending 4 globals getting it on the entire party. Example is maybe each bolt of pennance throws out attoment on a nearby ally within 40 yards of the target and heals them for X% of damage delt of that bolt. Also needs to be baseline that pennace can be cast on friendly targets as well.

TL: DR - We know disc is bad in 5 mans, yes we can make it work with more effort than every other healer... now we should stop with these threads
    Last edited by xhisors; 2016-09-12 at 12:14 AM.

First of all you need to be aware that healing is nerfed in general, people have much bigger healthpools relative to our healing power than before.

In a nutshell:

- Keep a shadow word pain active for penance proc
    - Stabilize group with shadowmend / pws while aoe healing with penance on cd
    - When major aoe stuff is going down supplement the aoe healing with shadowfiend / mindbender.
    - Power word shield is actually not worth using on cd a tank tanking heavy damage, shadowmend is more hps still ( wish this wasnt the case tho )
    Last edited by makketota; 2016-09-12 at 12:18 AM.

Deleted
    I think it's a L2P issue. I have never played as a priest before but tried it in legion prepatch and fell in love with the idea of healing with damage. I had a bit of trouble in my first mythic dungeon but figured my problem was trying to play as a DPS which means i always tried to max my damage. Since I figured to adjust my damage spells to the group damage it has been working alot better, which means spam smite while maintaining atonement then schism and penance when damage increases.

The only thing that I consider hard when playing disc priest compared to my paladin is anticipating damage. If you do not have atonement up when group damage spikes comes it can be hard to recover but once you get the hang of preparing yourself then it becomes much easier. Its also not true that disc is bad at dealing with large group damage. Theres a good few ways to heal up. 2x radiance gives atonement to all 5 members. Schism + lights wrath heals for insane amounts. Mind bender is also awesome for grp healing. I have no trouble whatsoever healing through mythics on my priest and enjoy it far more than my paladin and even find it easier.

Deleted
    I've completed 4 mythics as disc with a guild group and only ever had issues healing the final boss in each of the 4 I can't remember which dungeons though, the main issues I have seen with disc healing other then not knowing the fight mechanics is keeping full 5 man atonement during heavy tank and aoe damage if you let atonement fall off at the wrong time you will likely lose a dps due to the lack of global cooldowns available to switch off of pure tank healing unless you or they use CD's, that and high mobility fights pose an issue due to our need to stack atonement before healing.

Shields are indeed weak try not to use shields with the old mind set that they will last long enough to send a heal, at least not on a tank in mythics.

Disc is very strong in well organised groups but will struggle just as much as any other healer if people don't understand the mechanics, you can't blame the class if dps 1, 2, and 3 all die to being stupid.

I've been doing just fine as Disc. Healed mythics no problem.

I think it's more dependent on the tank. When I healed my first mythic as Holy, the tank was an ~820 DH, and he got fucking destroyed by everything. Trash mobs were smacking him for 10-15% of his health.

But when I healed more mythics with Warrior and Bear tanks, things went so, so much smoother, as both Holy and Disc. Going into a mythic as Disc, I was pretty scared, but...ultimately I had no problems, even with people fucking up mechanics.

So while everyone here will tell you "it's all your fault, git gud scrub", I say that the tank is equally as important as the healer, when it comes to healing.

Deleted
    I am by no meens the best player.. its been some times since i healed need to back 10 years or so.. this exp i wantede to heal ones more.. and i have all ways healed in disc when i had to heal. so this was my choice this time to.. ive played shadow since TBC.. but the last 3 exp ive not played much. but the changes to the game have fallen a realy nice place i enjoy it ones more.

so to the point ive healed my share of random normal dungens and i find it that they are harder to heal than the random heroics since the dps andto tanks are not geared and dont know the figth. in some of my first 5 mans it was a struggle to heal. but i learen the ways and it is much better. the fact that your party knows how to play helps so much.. it lets us (disc priest) dps a bit more and heal threw atonement.

but on a nother topic healing tanking and dps has moved more over to how it was in the old days where firstaid was VIP for dps and dps need to relearn that this is not just pull and aoe down with a healer takeing care of it all. deffently not in mythics i think heroics will get there they are close when you are 840+ ilvl.

hope you can use my rambeling thougts.

Deleted
    I often had the experience that I as a healer had to make up for the mistakes of DPS or tank or face a wipe. With the current state of disc, I rather would go holy to be able to mitigate such things. It's a pity, I loved the shielding style of discipline.

Disc just have a slightly harder learning curve than the rest of the healers but they are fine when your team does the boss mechanics correctly. It's definitely harder but more rewarding to perfect. I completed all the mythics that I could as disc and honestly it's just getting used to it. Know the boss fights and know when you have to precast your atonements on allies. You are going to have a bad time if your allies are taking heavy predicted aoe damage and you didn't preset your atonements. Lights wrath with 5 atonements heals for a disgusting amount.

10+ Year Old Account
    Done them all as Disc...even Pre-Helya nerf. And yes, its a lot of Smend spam and so what? You can still do just fine. As holy you do lots of FH spam as well. Just the way it goes when people get trucked and stand in fire.

Things go smoother for every healer when people do the mechanics right. Disc is the weakest healer in 5mans but they are still viable. You just have to understand their toolkit and how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Symmone View Post
    Done them all as Disc...even Pre-Helya nerf. And yes, its a lot of Smend spam and so what? You can still do just fine. As holy you do lots of FH spam as well. Just the way it goes when people get trucked and stand in fire.

Things go smoother for every healer when people do the mechanics right. Disc is the weakest healer in 5mans but they are still viable. You just have to understand their toolkit and how to use it.
    I'm honestly not sold on them being the weakest 5man healer. Perhaps the weaknesses aren't clear yet at vanilla mythic level, but I find healing as disc actually easier than holy at the moment (844)

Deleted
    Imho, if your party takes damage disc priest is the worst healer ever.

If your party are super uber pro, that uses all defensive cd´s and doesnt receive any damage.. disc works just fine plus you can add the extra damage so its quite good.

Thats all for disc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenas View Post
    Imho, if your party takes damage disc priest is the worst healer ever.

If your party are super uber pro, that uses all defensive cd´s and doesnt receive any damage.. disc works just fine plus you can add the extra damage so its quite good.

Thats all for disc.
    Unless the dps are standing in things that you are not meant to heal through then disc is super easy to group heal everyone back to stable, hell bar the need to get atonement on each player actually healing them up is after the fact is as easy as doing your normal dps rotation. Once you understand mob mechanics and can predict the type of incoming damage then you shouldn't have any issues restoring health, pre casting as disc requires you to be ready a few steps ahead of traditional healers but the effect when the healing goes off is about equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    So basically you're saying if there's nothing to heal then disc is easy to heal with. Pretty sure that's how every class works.
    That's not what they're saying.

There is unavoidable damage in almost every boss fight right now. Disc is tuned to heal through that just fine, and even to heal through some unintentional damage. But if your DPS are setting up little tent cities in the poison goo, they're going to die and there's zip you can do about it.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how that's a problem if you're saying it's a problem. Healers shouldn't be strong enough to heal through stupid easily.
    I am absolutely not saying it's a problem. You shouldn't be able to heal through DPS or Tanks being idiots. But, as per the norm, we have people used to Disc being so ridiculously overpowered that it could simply ignore mechanics and the player could just watch Netflix while running mythic dungeons.

I really think that's where most of the complaints stem from. People just are not in any way used to having to pay attention, and they're used to being able to carry bad tanks and DPS. And you just can't right now.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I am absolutely not saying it's a problem. You shouldn't be able to heal through DPS or Tanks being idiots. But, as per the norm, we have people used to Disc being so ridiculously overpowered that it could simply ignore mechanics and the player could just watch Netflix while running mythic dungeons.

I really think that's where most of the complaints stem from. People just are not in any way used to having to pay attention, and they're used to being able to carry bad tanks and DPS. And you just can't right now.
    It might also have to do with the fact that some of the other healers have strong enough cooldowns to be able to heal through such stuff pretty often.

Getting atonement on everyone and using the ability you get from your artifact easily heals the entire group and you can do this every minute.
    It also takes enough time that there's a good chance people actually messing up in mythic will already have died by the time you have your light's wrath through. Most other healers have way stronger tools to reactively start healing a lot immediately.

Both priest healing specs seem to be pretty fine (or at least not too far behind) for overall healing output but their utility and cooldowns seem a bit lackluster.
    Last edited by GT4; 2016-09-13 at 06:20 AM.

So, can holy priests, paladins, druids and monks easily deal with badly playing dps? Or do they also have to strain themselves?

So far I healed some 4 mythics as disc. I find that gearing up helps a lot, us all together learning the mechanics helps a lot, getting better tanks and higher dps helps a lot. In my experience its just your typical learning/growing curve at the start of an expansion. I was q bit afraid of disc healing, but so far it works fine.

What I still struggle with a bit is mana - I probably have to change my rotation to less mana costly spells or something. Right now I must drink every few pulls, more often if a pull went wrong.