Warlocks are pretty fun

I know some of you Warlock mains may not be happy with your class, but I just tried the 100 character trial and Affliction Warlocks are pretty fun to me. The trial allowed me to do the artifact quest. I just went around putting dots on 10+ level 100 mobs and had absolutely no issues with them. I was surprised that my pet tanked them all. I thought the AI for Warlock pets would be the same as Hunters.. But as a Hunter, my pets will tank maybe 1 mob.. The voidwalker tanked all 10 of the mobs I pulled. Makes for solo play easy.

I don't really know how you guys are at level 110 as I honestly haven't grouped with any Warlocks on my main. So question time!

I really like Affliction. How do they do at 110? I know they need ramp up time because of the dots and whatnot so maybe they're not super strong in 5 mans.. But do you think they will fare well in raids?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrowAwayForAReason View Post
    I know some of you Warlock mains may not be happy with your class, but I just tried the 100 character trial and Affliction Warlocks are pretty fun to me. The trial allowed me to do the artifact quest. I just went around putting dots on 10+ level 100 mobs and had absolutely no issues with them. I was surprised that my pet tanked them all. I thought the AI for Warlock pets would be the same as Hunters.. But as a Hunter, my pets will tank maybe 1 mob.. The voidwalker tanked all 10 of the mobs I pulled. Makes for solo play easy.

I don't really know how you guys are at level 110 as I honestly haven't grouped with any Warlocks on my main. So question time!

I really like Affliction. How do they do at 110? I know they need ramp up time because of the dots and whatnot so maybe they're not super strong in 5 mans.. But do you think they will fare well in raids?
    Their single target is pretty bad and clunky thanks to Soul Effigy. They are arguably not really interesting, and are pretty much the old shadow priest. Generally speaking, warlocks are tanky, their tank pets are tanky, and they roll over open world content as if it was nothing.

I'd probably go for destruction or demonology at 110 as of right now, mainly because of affliction poor single target DPS.

Also, there are likely some changes coming in 7.1 to make demonology less punishing (and cooler, minions will likely hang around much longer and it will be like withered training everywhere you go). Affliction + destruction will probably also get some interesting changes, and a baseline interrupt for all 3 specs is not unlikely. If you like warlock already, I'm (pretty) sure it will look even better in a few months.
    Last edited by mmoc738030ea5a; 2016-09-17 at 04:18 PM.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowAwayForAReason View Post

I really dont see the fun when you cant do the only thing you supose to do as a pure damage class, with the new changes aproaching to the game we wont have tankinees neither so basically we wont do damage, we wont have mobility, we wont have tankines, we wont have a raid spot or a dungeon spot for mythics since other classes (all of them) do it much better than us.

Playing destruction since launch, had zero interest in other specs, loving it. Love Havoc and doing 2-target cleave out in the world and in dungeons. Screaming ahead of other players for DPS in fights with streaming adds. Don't do so well at AoE packs or such but don't really care about that.

Enjoying the gameplay, enjoying the rotation (just wish I had dimension ripper, hate casting incinerate right now) and feeling very useful and comparible to other players/classes.
    Volte 80 Frost DK--Cycloneduke 80 Holy Pally--Moardotz 80 Desto Warlock-- Dexterworgan 80 Assassination Rogue----Liadon 80 Feral Druid--Mumbles 70 Frost Mage--Bibleblack 70 Disc Priest--Dylli 70 DM Hunter--Krosa 70 Fury Warrior -- Slapntickle 70 Prot Warrior -- Okoi 80 Enha Shaman + 4 slave shamans multiboxed to 70 - Darksorrow EU PvP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos9949 View Post
    I really dont see the fun when you cant do the only thing you supose to do as a pure damage class, with the new changes aproaching to the game we wont have tankinees neither so basically we wont do damage, we wont have mobility, we wont have tankines, we wont have a raid spot or a dungeon spot for mythics since other classes (all of them) do it much better than us.
    Demonology is one of the strongest single target DPS you can get at the moment, with decent AoE as well. They are very difficult to play though, and require ridicoulus amounts of haste to reach that level, and Destruction is fine as well since so many fights have at least 2 targets which makes havoc go nuts. It is certainly not as bad as you make it out to be.

There are some mechanical issues I'd like fixed (No baseline interrupt, big part of survivability linked to drain life which is a DPS loss for destro and demo, lots of talent swapping to perform optimally), but these things may be getting fixed soon, and while annoying, they are not gamebreaking.

Edit: Also, as per above, affliction and destruction needs more interesting interactions between spells in my opinion (Incinerate, for example, doesn't feel very rewarding to cast since it basically does nothing but act as a filler).
    Last edited by mmoc738030ea5a; 2016-09-17 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Degn89 View Post
    Their single target is pretty bad and clunky thanks to Soul Effigy. They are arguably not really interesting, and are pretty much the old shadow priest. Generally speaking, warlocks are tanky, their tank pets are tanky, and they roll over open world content as if it was nothing.
    I'm one of the weirdos that actually likes Soul Effigy, though obviously it still needs to be tuned up to be competitive with other classes. I think the bigger issue is that the other two 100 talents are AOE and general purpose; if the talent rows were arranged so that single target competes with other styles of single target and AOE competes with AOE then the spec overall could be tuned to actually be good at things.

for melee, sure

Quote Originally Posted by carlos9949 View Post
    I really dont see the fun when you cant do the only thing you supose to do as a pure damage class.
    That's not what bothers me at all. Numbers can easily be changed and eventually I'm sure they will at least for one of our specs.

The problem is the things that are difficult to change. I think the main fun killer is the new talents. Most of them are spells we've had for almost 10 years, like Shadowburn and Backdraft for Destro (which were both fun to use), or the classic Demonic Circle. Those core spells that make the warlock FUN are now lost in the talent tree to better choices.

Then there's the problem with having no AoE and having to acquire it through talents and feeling gimped if you don't.

The talent tree literally seems like its only purpose is to suck out all the fun aspects from our class.

A big example is Grimoire of Supremacy. It's a cool talent, but why does it remove our 3 minute Doomguard/Infernal cooldown? Why can't we have a pet AND the cooldown? Then if you look at Destro who has Lord of Flames, which is something like "Every 10 minutes your Infernal summons 3 additional" well what if you have GoSup and want to use a Doomguard? You can't. Only the infernal can trigger Lord of Flames.

Every talent feels like it punishes us rather than advances our power or fun.
    Last edited by Bridius; 2016-09-17 at 07:51 PM.

I agree with Bridius a bit. One great example I think is Chaos bolt. Before, it felt really strong and powerful when you threw a CB. Now I feel like it's shit when I cast incinerate.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.