Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Deleted

Man fined by courts for "slurring" against teenager Mzee Mohammed on Reddit

Source

This is the internet troll who made vile comments about tragic teenager Mzee Mohammed .

Rowan O’Connell, 23, was hit with a fine by magistrates today over the sick outbust following the death of Mzee, 18.

The “gentle giant” died after becoming unwell in the custody of police officers at Liverpool ONE in July.

O’Connell took to social media website Reddit, where he made baseless allegations, labelling Mzee a “good for nothing, spice smoking, Toxteth monkey”.

He added: “As I say, who gives a f***.”

O’Connell, of Back North Crescent in Lytham St Annes, Lancs, pleaded guilty to sending a communication of an indecent or offensive nature at Sefton Magistrates’ Court today.

He was fined £275 and ordered to pay costs of £115.

O’Connell admitted “going trolling” during a discussion by Reddit users linked to an ECHO report about the incident on July 17 – under the anonymous account Rolfy 420.

David Maxwell, prosecuting, told the court the post was spotted by a police officer “conducting intelligence research”.

This is the internet troll who made vile comments about tragic teenager Mzee Mohammed .

Rowan O’Connell, 23, was hit with a fine by magistrates today over the sick outbust following the death of Mzee, 18.

The “gentle giant” died after becoming unwell in the custody of police officers at Liverpool ONE in July.

O’Connell admitted “going trolling” during a discussion by Reddit users linked to an ECHO report about the incident on July 17 – under the anonymous account Rolfy 420.

Nick Archer, defending, told the court that O’Connell experienced a strong backlash from the Reddit community which resulted in his employer’s Facebook page being flooded with derogatory posts.

This in turn led to O’Connell losing his job, although he has since managed to find other work.

Mr Archer said his client was not a racist and claimed the use of the word “monkey” was the sole reason the case had reached court.

He said: “In cases like this context is everything, and for lots of reasons his conduct is deeply regretted. The defendant does not consider himself a racist in any way.”
    Looks like UK police overreach is now extending onto Reddit. This gets more and more disturbing.

- - - Updated - - -

The actual comment, the bulk of the comment (which the article of course omitted) is a character assessment against the person in question. Who knows if it is correct, but the man has every right to express his opinion.
    Last edited by mmoce69e574eb3; 2016-09-21 at 08:24 PM.

Do you still use magistrates?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Shouldn't have been talking shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

And nothing of value was lost.

How horrible, for real.

Things I don't like should be illegal and people I don't like are literally Hitler.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    So you think people should be arrested/fined/whatever for making stupid comments online, including anonymously?

How far do you want it to go? Would it be justifiable if the police went through your 3000+ post history and tried to get you on something regarded as 'offensive'?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfheart9 View Post
    And nothing of value was lost.
    "only speech I like should be legal"

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    So this is how freedom dies. They will eventually take everything from us. It always starts small.
    lol oh no I can no longer be anonymously horrible to people how truly tragic #freebutnotfree #justteenagerthings #justiceforharambe

The most that should have been done was a ban from reddit.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have malicious communications legislation, which this falls under and is separate to our freedom of speech legislation.

It is a throwback to physical postal services, it requires updating as it is no longer fit for purpose, however it is not an erosion of freedom of speech as we have had versions of these laws for longer than anyone has been alive.

Oddly, if he had said it publicly or written an article about it, then he wouldn't have been subject to prosecution. Sometimes laws need to be thoroughly updated to cater for new technologies, rather than just slightly amended, this is a case of that. Eventually they will get around to doing something about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smaktat View Post
    lol oh no I can no longer be anonymously horrible to people how truly tragic #freebutnotfree #justteenagerthings #justiceforharambe
    It's more than just that. What should be criminalised? Insults? Racism? Mockery? Satire? If it is not acceptable for someone to anonymously attack someone's character on a forum (which is what the original comment actually did), then a lot more should be criminalised by the same logic.

- - - Updated - - -

The completely laughable almost propaganda-esque reporting on this from the Liverpool Echo is pathetic as well.

because f*ck freedom of speech, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    So you think people should be arrested/fined/whatever for making stupid comments online, including anonymously?

How far do you want it to go? Would it be justifiable if the police went through your 3000+ post history and tried to get you on something regarded as 'offensive'?
    No just stating you shouldn't talk shit.
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Deleted
    No just stating you shouldn't talk shit.
    So what does that mean, exactly? What's "talking shit"? Why does that justify the state bludgeoning in?

Did you read the op before or even after you posted it? How many times does one need to paste the same text?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Did you read the op before or even after you posted it? How many times does one need to paste the same text?
    I did. For some reason it kept pasting small parts from stuff I had already pasted. The article on my end was segmented by bloody adverts, so I couldn't just mass paste the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    So what does that mean, exactly? What's "talking shit"? Why does that justify the state bludgeoning in?
    Running your mouth. I mean, I don't think the state should take action, but they do. Adapt or get left in the dust.

Deleted
    Running your mouth. I mean, I don't think the state should take action, but they do. Adapt or get left in the dust.
    So you're completely indifferent to what the state may or may not do?

I'm sure you apply the same logic when a black kid gets killed by cops after resisting or with a gun.