Healers, how is your mana?

Back to raid healing since WOTLK and for me mana management is a must. I usually do good on HPS output on meters. The thing is I see other healers blowing their load before the fight is halfway over then they are struggling with mana at the end of a fight. I am use to healing in the days before patch 2.3 when, if you had a lot of over healing, you was considered a shitty healer.

How is the tone today in that regard?

For Holy mana management feels like it typically does at the end of an expansion; I'm not at all worried about running out until I feel I've done something to abuse it like cast flash heal far too many times.

As Disc I feel I go oom pretty steadily as I try to keep atonement up on people. It feels much more like a measure of time compared to holy.

Well a ton of overhealing of certain spells is a more accurate assessment of a shitty healer, and that's definitely still a thing. For holy priests in particular you'll see a lot of Echo of Light overhealing, that's perfectly normal as it's completely passive for us. Now if you see something ridiculous such as 60% OH for Flash Heal or HW: Serenity, then most likely that's a bad healer only if they're going oom constantly.

I put 13 traits into my holy artifact and pugged out a normal, I spent half the fight literally just trying to burn my mana as I had way to much (damage patterns are pretty low in normal played a factor I'm sure).

I don't really plan on trying disc in raids, as I'm not a huge fan of the healing style and holy is the reason I rolled a priest in the first place.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It feels pretty bad most of the time, especially when Surge of Light doesn't proc. Honestly, I really want the self-ressurection legendary - I'd just walk into something stupid, get 20 seconds of free casting and then continue as normal. It's not really better for other healers in our raid, except Paladins. Symbol of Hope gives a tiny breathing room, Apotheosis helps to save up, but it's a struggle.

Worst thing is, I'm not sure how it will get better - beyond the usual "fights will be shorter with better dps". There aren't really any ways of improving mana regeneration, just throughput. Sure, there's Darkmoon card, but it's pretty weak this time. Talenting 10% bonus regen is negligible result, and also hurts Flash Heal quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Worst thing is, I'm not sure how it will get better - beyond the usual "fights will be shorter with better dps". There aren't really any ways of improving mana regeneration, just throughput. Sure, there's Darkmoon card, but it's pretty weak this time. Talenting 10% bonus regen is negligible result, and also hurts Flash Heal quite a bit.
    Trinkets. Mana saving trinkets are the answer, and they are coming.

The only fight I seem have to have a real mana struggle on is Il'gynoth, the burn phase is a nice little spot to regen mana since a few healing CD's will take care of all the damage in there. Overhealing does not necessarily mean "shitty healer" especially with echo as pointed out above.

I struggle but I'm an os healer pleb so I know I'm overhealing a lot. Il'gynoth seems particularly bad since we have 2 holy priests atm and its a very bursty fight for damage taken.

It's harder compared to past expansions, but still manageable. I feel this time around it's more important than ever that ur dps are actually doing enough dmg to end the fight and make full use of the time your healers are buying for them.

Deleted
    It feels weird to be honest. Other than in WoD you can actually go out-of-mana this time. Which is good. But to me it always feels like this:
    First 50% of the fight - Spend 80% of mana
    Next 35% of the fight - Conserve mana for bigger spikes, but spend remaining mana in the process
    Last 15%: Regularly don't have enough mana for Holy Words and play off regeneration alone

I'm dreading every single use of PoH because it costs so, so much mana and I know it will come to bite me in the last 15%.