Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    if you look back in time you will find similar stats for rottweilers, german shepherds, pinschers, whatever the "fad dangerous dog" is at the time. this is because people will report the attack as that breed even if they cant identify what it was.
    So your arguement is that Pit-bulls are overrepresented in dog attacks because people mis-identify them? What ridiculous logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It is not a "fact" that pitbulls are "extremely dangerous". They're no more aggressive than any other build, but they tend to be subject to this by a few factors: one, they have a stronger, heavier build than a lot of dogs, so people think they're naturally aggressive and treat them as such, and two, morons go and buy them as guard dogs and mistreat them. Pitbulls are actually naturally very gentle dogs who are hard to upset.

Children are at more risk not because dogs are aggressive but because children are incapable, usually, of recognizing when they're upsetting a dog. It's on the adults nearby to be watchful and ensure the child is removed if the dog is showing signs of agitation.
    Listen, I love dogs too but bite and fatality statistics diagree with you. Dogs who are bred for certain characteristics are more likely to display said characteristics, it is the reason why my retriever loves retrieving balls and carrying things in her mouth depite the fact she has never been trained to do so. Yes, that behavior is not exclusive to the breed but it is far more prevalent due to the breed's background.

Pretty fucking ridiculous. I used to own a beast of a pittbull that was the biggest sweetheart of a dog you could ever meet. He was more scared of cats than cats were of him. He died of cancer a few years ago sadly Still one of the best dogs I've ever owned. From what the OPs post says it sounds like they're trying to exterminate pittbulls which is just insane. Keep them away from criminals sure but everything is just uncalled for. If a person is killed by a pitt they were probably doing something that they shouldn't have been doing to begin with. Like approaching and touching a dog you've never met before or acting like an asshole and mistreating them or invading their territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    All I can think of is this woman I used to work with, who had a "pit bull" that had puppies, when she tried to offload them it was discovered the dog wasn't anything remotely close to being a pit bull.

Anecdote anecdote, anecdote. lol, but it was amusing
    Ha. Yeah, it happens.

There are only ignorant owners. Unfortunately this might eventually force a community to take action (unfairly) against a breed. But at the end of the day its the owner that needs to be banned from reproducing and not the dog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Listen, I love dogs too but bite and fatality statistics diagree with you. Dogs who are bred for certain characteristics are more likely to display said characteristics, it is the reason why my retriever loves retrieving balls and carrying things in her mouth depite the fact she has never been trained to do so. Yes, that behavior is not exclusive to the breed but it is far more prevalent due to the breed's background.
    There are a lot of dogs bred to hunt, to have a strong bulky frame, and to guard that aren't getting the same bad rap. It's society that is pushing people to believe that pitbulls are a menace when they're not, it's people who don't understand how to greet strange dogs and people who don't know how to raise them.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    which is exactly what i said... any stray dog with a boxy head is going to be put down. i assume they are daft because i had a black lab that was often accused of being a pit because she was fat & had smallish ears.
    Genetic testing will hopefully reolve that...I'm not saying that some people aren't completely ignorant about dog breeds but generally speaking I can ID a breed/mix quite easily, I don't think I'm a huge anomaly.

A Pomeranian can be just as aggressive and mean as any other dog. The difference is that a Pomeranian is considerably smaller and, by society-standards, cuter, so they tend to be far more spoiled and less likely to be aggressive. Pitbulls have a very bad rap as aggressive dogs when they're not and thus are frequently mistreated by people and/or bought by complete dicks who have no clue how to properly raise and train a dog.
    Like I said earlier I can not have a serious discussion with you. You can't say, "It is not a fact that pitbulls are extremely dangerous", when they account for the MASS MAJORITY of dog-bite fatalities. How can you say a breed is not dangerous when they're killing people. Do you know what the word danger means? Pomeranians have never killed anyone in the history of mankind lmfao
    Last edited by Synadrasa; 2016-09-29 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    Like I said earlier I can not have a serious discussion with you. You can't say, "It is not a fact that pitbulls are extremely dangerous", when they account for the MASS MAJORITY of dog-bite fatalities. How can you say a breed is not dangerous when they're killing people. Do you know what the word danger means?
    That doesn't necessarily suggest that they're more aggressive than other breeds. Only that they're more effective, which is feasible since the bite strength of a pit bull is enormous.

I can personally say that I've been bitten by more tiny little shitty rat dogs, than any pitbull. They just can't kill me.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

So your arguement is that Pit-bulls are overrepresented in dog attacks because people mis-identify them? What ridiculous logic.
    yes, its been shown to be the case in the past with all the other "fad dangerous" dog breeds. even if you google image search "pitbull", about half the dogs shown are not pitbulls.

- - - Updated - - -

Genetic testing will hopefully reolve that...I'm not saying that some people aren't completely ignorant about dog breeds but generally speaking I can ID a breed/mix quite easily, I don't think I'm a huge anomaly.
    i seriously doubt they are going to spend the time and money to genetically test every stray or shelter dog that remotely resembles a pitbull (remember the criteria is "appears like a pitbull or pitbull-like") before putting it down.

10+ Year Old Account
    to be accurate, Quebec. Quebec has been a regressive shithole for centuries
    I blame the French!

OT: My grandparents in Quebec (city of) have been telling me about that. Apparently they're debating just straight up euthanizing every pitbull, including ones in ownership. Idiots.

[QUOTE=Darsithis;42576368
    Children are at more risk not because dogs are aggressive but because children are incapable, usually, of recognizing when they're upsetting a dog. It's on the adults nearby to be watchful and ensure the child is removed if the dog is showing signs of agitation.[/QUOTE]

or you know you can be rational and don't take your easily agitated dog out in public spaces

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said earlier I can not have a serious discussion with you. You can't say, "It is not a fact that pitbulls are extremely dangerous", when they account for the MASS MAJORITY of dog-bite fatalities. How can you say a breed is not dangerous when they're killing people. Do you know what the word danger means? Pomeranians have never killed anyone in the history of mankind lmfao
    A pitbull's mouth is much stronger than a lot of dogs. Of course their bite will be more dangerous. That doesn't make the breed inherently aggressive. It's mistreatment that does that.

Again, pitbulls as a breed are gentle, loving dogs who enjoy a lot of play and exercise and are usually very good with young children. Pitbulls tend to be patient dogs and zealous in guarding the people they love from what they perceive to be a danger. The trick is properly raising them to recognize what is a danger as well as educating the public on how to approach them and really any dog.

I can personally say that I've been bitten by more tiny little shitty rat dogs, than any pitbull. They just can't kill me.
    Every bite I've ever had has come from a little dog, or my own, when I was training them to loosen their jaws if it comes in contact with skin.

Totally forgot about this lol.

"You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

That doesn't necessarily suggest that they're more aggressive than other breeds. Only that they're more effective, which is feasible since the bite strength of a pit bull is enormous.

I don't know if I agree that pits bite less but litte dogs can be very anxious. I think their behavior is a side effect of breeding them for their small size, imagine how stressful it would be to live in a world where everything is so much bigger than you are. Probably triggers the fight or flight response more often than with larger dogs.

This isn't a discussion on how aggressive a dog is. This is a discussion on how dangerous a dog is, which can be a combination of their aggressiveness, strength and other factors. It's the government's responsibility to keep certain animals who are deemed dangerous in check, a kid walking down the down the street should never be attacked by an animal period. A tiger could be the least aggressive animal, but it's an unbelievably dangerous animal who has a 100% kill rate when it attacks and hence why you can't own a tiger.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if I agree that pits bite less but litte dogs can be very anxious. I think their behavior is a side effect of breeding them for their small size, imagine how stressful it would be to live in a world where everything is so much bigger than you are. Probably triggers the fight or flight response more often than with larger dogs.
    That's one of the key things with greeting a dog. You should always lower yourself to the ground and either gently extend a hand out a little bit or wait for them to come to you. To a lot of dogs, especially smaller ones, you're a towering giant. Putting yourself closer to their level makes you seem less aggressive.

Of course, always check with the owner first and watch the dog. If they are slowly wagging to the left, or the tail is up or down, don't do it. Back away.

This isn't a discussion on how aggressive a dog is. This is a discussion on how dangerous a dog is, which can be a combination of their aggressiveness, strength and other factors. It's the government's responsibility to keep certain animals who are deemed dangerous in check. A tiger could be the least aggressive animal, but it's an unbelievably dangerous animal who has a 100% kill rate when it attacks and hence why you can't own a tiger.
    That's a huge fallacy.

A tiger is not a domesticated animal. A pitbull is.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalador View Post
    It's a bad law, i don't mind the idea of having permits for some type of dogs but this is going to far... To put a bit of context this follow the death of a women who was killed by her neighbor dog (who we don't know for sure if it was a pitbull or a rottweiler) and is clearly overreaction...

There is clearly a problem with as some dog race attract retarded owner who raise them for defence/to look badass... but targeting specific dog race is not the solution.

Classy as fuck, bashing a province of 8M plp based on absolutly nothing...
    Yeah, because your Bloc Quebecois separatist movement the last 50 years has been classy eh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pits really aren't that dangerous. There's a high number of attacks by Pit Bulls in the USA, for instance, because they're a hugely popular breed (well, the several breeds that get flagged under the label). They have a higher rate of fatality because of their build; being attacked by a pit bull is way more likely to do damage than being attacked by a chihuahua.

Plus, again, "pit bull" isn't a single breed. It's a broad category that's not well-defined.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steffe...b_8112394.html

In the UK, the most bitey breed is Labrador Retrievers; http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7166296.html

That's one of the key things with greeting a dog. You should always lower yourself to the ground and either gently extend a hand out a little bit or wait for them to come to you. To a lot of dogs, especially smaller ones, you're a towering giant. Putting yourself closer to their level makes you seem less aggressive.

Of course, always check with the owner first and watch the dog. If they are slowly wagging to the left, or the tail is up or down, don't do it. Back away.

That's a huge fallacy.

A tiger is not a domesticated animal. A pitbull is.

That 70% statistic begs to differ. If Pit-bulls are so domesticated why are they attacking people?