10+ Year Old Account

Help me PvP as Sub. (rogue in general even)

I'm trying so hard to be good at arenas as Sub, i love the uptime, the abilities and the mass amount of CC options. BUT I think i might suck?

As of now im skirmishing alot so doing alot of 2v2 arenas. I go out in stealth.. have a focus target that i want to cc, and a target i want to kill. I sap my cc target, cheap shot open my kill target, SS, full combo point NB, look to re-sap my CC but oh wait im almost dead already, cloak - vanish, shit I'm afflicted by a bleed or some sh!t i cant cloak.. stealth breaks, jumped again Trink, no good, dead.

this is my standard arena... What im getting at is that Once i've done the initial open ive been targeted from both angles and obliterated (x10 if its a DH im vsing or a ret)

I've tried to stay back and solely focus on my CC target, go full tunnel vision CC on him and hope my opponent can 1v1 for the most part the other person on the team, but with the exception of possibly just bad teammates in skirmishes, this doesn't realy do much but prolong the game for ~25 seconds then the guy I've been CCíng is finally free and gets his revenge all over my face.

The only comp i beat regularly is shadow priest/ (most casters) and i lose to basically any double Melle team etc.

Help me please, i want to know what i should be prioritizing, abilities I may be misusing, where i can improve in general when you look back at your struggle to grasp the fast pace of arenas..

I have this same problem. Been struggling to get even 1700 with my mage partner. I have focus shadowstep/kick macros, I focus kidney non-kill targets, I use Blind properly to continue a CC chain, etc.

I feel like our damage isn't good enough. He either can't CC because he's getting trained and even with my slow he can't escape (My Nightblade can be dispelled), or the healer has no issue keeping up the other DPS. We can CC chain for 20 seconds straight sometimes and still not land a kill and I'm not really sure why. I honestly think it may be because casters are just bad right now. Most DPS can just pop their defensive CD's and run around pillars unable to be slowed and my partner can't get any casts off until I can stun. I usually stun on the opener though, because if I don't, he just gets trained.

I also have the problem of just getting destroyed in a matter of seconds, usually by feral druids or BM hunters. BM Hunters run away in such a way that makes their pets hit me from the side or back, so even Evasion does nothing. I usually have to cheap shot the pet before going back on the BM but by then he's sooooo far away and I just get munched on. I can defeat ferals sometimes, but if it's not over in 30 seconds they can take more than half my life out in a 5 second stun.

Deleted
    Honor lvl is a major factor in sub dmg. When i was farming skirmish at Hlvl 48 with a random affli we had winrate of 70-80%, but after I prestiged it dropped to like 40% max (due to me losing skills like cold blood and such). Also artifact lvl factors into this alot.

You can't toe to toe with sub at all, and if you try you get destroyed by most classes. Open with stun DRs available, use off-target stuns (it helps to play with a partner who has lots of control ie frost mage), remember that your damage comes from finishers so you want to pump a lot of 6pt nightblades and eviscerates into your target. Against a dispeller you need to take strike from the shadows talent.

Once you've dumped your burst into the target, spread some nightblades around and then escape either to a pillar or vanish out. Flickering shadows makes restealthing much easier since you only have to sprint behind a pillar for 3 seconds. Thief's bargain is really good for this hit-and-run playstyle and the damage boost is significant.

You keep dumping coordinated burst, spread nightblades and reset to stealth. The idea is that eventually your opponents won't have defensives available and that's when you can score a kill. Often bad players will panic against mage/rogue and use trinkets/defensives at bad times so you have to be always ready to suddenly switch targets.

This is the way sub rogues have always played since wotlk. The reason many people struggle to play sub is because they're stuck in the mentality of trying to tunnel as much damage as possible.
    Last edited by lolpve; 2016-10-01 at 09:34 AM.