Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    and where the fuck is that team located? The start of downtime was 3am in California, where the development team is in orange county.

plus its the EU carrying this games popularity with highest number of players.

and again HOW does it take these devs 5 hours to do a minor patch? there's no halloween event either. is it just one guy working on the game now?

i swear to god...
    Because most people are working or in school at 12am and if they take 5 hours that means they finish at 17:00 when people get home from said work. So they can then play during actual prime time which is in the evening.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Because most people are working or in school at 12am and if they take 5 hours that means they finish at 17:00 when people get home from said work. So they can then play during actual prime time which is in the evening.
    thanks, captain obvious. my question why dont they do it at night still stands
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Because nobody can be vaguely positive about something they're clearly enjoying? lol
    No my child

They are doing it at night since its 3 am in the US when the servers went to maint, they do all server maint at the same time and 5 hours gives them time to do everything required.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    They are doing it at night since its 3 am in the US when the servers went to maint, they do all server maint at the same time and 5 hours gives them time to do everything required.
    Plus, it gives (some of) the EU players time to clean their room, do their laundry, run some errands... once a week.

Think positive!
    “There is no right or wrong, only consequences.”
    -------------------------------------------------

So I made it to 26 yesterday and did Amrine.

Overall pretty fun.

That said, I've pretty much had it with hoofing it everywhere. New World has great graphics, reasonable combat and interesting trade skills, but with no prospect of ever getting mounts or better travel abilities, that seals the deal for me.

I'm sure the walking simulator purists will pile on with their usual, "Oh you just want to teleport everywhere instantly" routine. But the bottom line is my time is limited and I just don't enjoy spending it running from place to place.

I'll give it another month or two because I want to see the rest of the zones, but after that, I'm gonna put it on the back burner and wait and see what happens.

The one saving grace is there is no subscription fee, so I can just pop in whenever I want. Maybe if enough people vote with their wallets, some improvements can be made to traveling.

How in the world a modern MMO, backed by the largest company in the world, put so little thought or effort into travel is beyond me.

Even just reducing the fast travel azoth costs and reducing the Inn Recall to 15 minutes would probably be enough for me.
    Last edited by pahbi; 2021-10-13 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    again, i know that, and thats just fucking stupid, only with americans in mind, while WoW does the maintenance AT NIGHT for each region.

ok, guess thats the point where i stop arguing about this. its just retarded and unfair.
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Because post-prime time EU night is prime time US.
    This time is past US night prime time and before EU prime time.

Why don't they do the regions separately? how the fuck should I know.
    Why not 2 hours earlier? how the fuck should I know.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    So I made it to 26 yesterday and did Amrine.

Overall pretty fun.

That said, I've pretty much had it with hoofing it everywhere. New World has great graphics, reasonable combat and interesting trade skills, but with no prospect of ever getting mounts or better travel abilities, that seals the deal for me.

I'm sure the walking simulator purists will pile on with their usual, "Oh you just want to teleport everywhere instantly" routine. But the bottom line is my time is limited and I just don't enjoy spending it running from place to place.

I'll give it another month or two because I want to see the rest of the zones, but after that, I'm gonna put it on the back burner and wait and see what happens.

The one saving grace is there is no subscription fee, so I can just pop in whenever I want. Maybe if enough people vote with their wallets, some improvements can be made to traveling.

How in the world a modern MMO, backed by the largest company in the world, put so little thought or effort into travel is beyond me.

Even just reducing the fast travel azoth costs and reducing the Inn Recall to 15 minutes would probably be enough for me.
    Amrine is fun, but simple, the second dungeon you get to try Starstone is far more interesting.

As for the hoofing everywhere, I don't know what you refer to. For me by that time I was already porting all over the place, I'd have enough Azoth to spare, even wasting some with overcapping. I'd just run somewhere once, the teleport "portals" are clearly noticeable from afar, a slight detour there and done.

I might be more forgiving with the running through the woods since I like stumbling into resources instead of following a farm guide or searching for them outside the game and do a straight line to them.

...Maybe if enough people vote with their wallets, some improvements can be made to traveling.
    As in, people should not buy the game...? How would they know what's what then?
    If they know, it means they bought the game already, there's no subscription on it so you stop paying it until something you want gets implemented.

This is part of the system, it integrates into the mechanics of the game.

Every zone has at least 2 points where you can teleport. If your faction owns the zones, the teleport is cheap. If not, it's an incentive for players to do PvP and fight for control of those zones.
    The cost is also highly dependent of how many things you carry in your bags. If there would be no cost, the farming resources would become trivial as everyone could teleport everywhere and gather resources very fast, without the need to unload too often.
    Knowing you will be running out of Azoth also pushes you to go out there, do invasions and other activities which provide azoth. Also having items with % chance to give azoth helps a lot.
    You then have houses which you can buy and if you get them strategically in different cities, you have good teleport opportunities. Resetting the cooldown on these teleports doesn't cost much azoth if you don't do it very often.
    All this are in addition to your normal "hearthstone".

I believe mounts will come, once they introduce more zones into the game; it's only logical.

Undefended invasions onto a settlement downgrade you crafting stations, always. If people don't work together and repel these, it will take a long time for the settlement to advance.
    And is no one curious how will a settlement look when it's fully upgraded to a Citadel?! This will take a considerable amount of time to reach, involving a lot of money and group work.

Personally, I believe that there is more to the game than meets the eye. A lot of people are looking at it just from one perspective and often this is a very shallow one.
    This doesn't mean that the game is perfect by any means, still needs a lot of work but if if you connect all the dots together, things are not as simple as they seem at the first glance.

How nice would it be if the majority of players playing the game in the long run (after the initial few weeks/months of triage) are the mature, patient, common sense people that don't play 24/7...?! Would it perhaps make it the least toxic MMO out there?... one can only hope.
    “There is no right or wrong, only consequences.”
    -------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
    As in, people should not buy the game...? How would they know what's what then?
    If they know, it means they bought the game already, there's no subscription on it so you stop paying it until something you want gets implemented.
    Continued income relies on the in game store. No purchases == voting with your wallet.

High Overlord
    I've played about 5 hours so far, no queue, I just started this week. The graphics are beautiful, the combat feels snappy (for the most part), and professions are fun, if a bit grindy. The world is really captivating. Two things so far that I absolutely HATE - the encumbering system (you can't even hearth if you're encumbered, WTF?) - it feels like an unnecessary annoyance. Also, the fast travel system is too expensive at least at low levels, and turns a lot of the game into a walking simulator. I can't comment on the end game obviously - but if they fix these things, they will retain a LOT of people I think.

again, i know that, and thats just fucking stupid, only with americans in mind, while WoW does the maintenance AT NIGHT for each region.

ok, guess thats the point where i stop arguing about this. its just retarded and unfair.
    I've never seen someone get so angry at an MMO having maintenance before. Other than the time you launched into a rant about diversity and whatnot over it, of course.

Just go do something else, maybe even play another game, ffs. Literal non-issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
    No my child
    Thanks, I'm super convinced now. You've opened my eyes to the fact that people can't just enjoy things. Bless you, my child.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Thanks, I'm super convinced now. You've opened my eyes to the fact that people can't just enjoy things. Bless you, my child.
    I have been given a mandate to make sure people don't enjoy things that don't deserve their enjoyment.
    I tell you what to enjoy.

Aaand the Twitch viewer count plummeted, as any mmo that isn’t WoW or ffxiv is popular only during launch until the honeymoon phase is over.

Maintentance extended

Again

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Aaand the Twitch viewer count plummeted, as any mmo that isn’t WoW or ffxiv is popular only during launch until the honeymoon phase is over.
    Are twitch views really important?
    Because in that case, New World is currently offline and it still has more viewers than wow, ffxiv and eso

Hell, "just chatting" is way more popular than several games I see
    Last edited by Maljinwo; 2021-10-13 at 03:16 PM.
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Yeah.. just like any other game. Not sure what this has to do with mmos. Before asmon started streaming FF14 - it was constant at around 3k viewers. Once shroud comes online viewer numbers double again. It's really not a good measurement.

Aaand the Twitch viewer count plummeted
    Twitch viewer numbers are irrelevant to anything, tbf.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
    I have been given a mandate to make sure people don't enjoy things that don't deserve their enjoyment.
    I tell you what to enjoy.
    I have seen the light! Hallelujah!

Yeah... err... New Game so baaaaad. I'll be right back with bad things to say about a product I'm now unable to move on from, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Maintentance extended

Again

Are twitch views really important?
    Because in that case, New World is currently offline and it still has more viewers than wow, ffxiv and eso

Hell, "just chatting" is way more popular than several games I see
    They are a good measurement when you notice a game going from 300k to 30k viewers. But the game is offline atm apparently, so that might be why. I’m dumb.

They are a good measurement
    Nope. They're not a good measurement for much of anything remotely meaningful.