15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoewy View Post
    You can be as condescending as you want in your reply, you still said they "have like 5 models". This was wrong, what you just said is completely different and have nothing to do with your initial statement.
    To be fair they were off by 3. 8 different models for a type game-wide isn't a great deal better then 5. Those 8 corrupted you listed are the same 8 corrupted you see the rest of the game. Ebonscale offers a variety simply because they use the Chinese inspired armor. They also have peacocks. Which is amusing because Turkeys have more variety then any other animal in the game since they have 3 different models (Turkey, Peacock, and the reekwater ones since I forget their name).
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark View Post
    I hear this kind of reply all the time to general criticism of any game. Your trying to defend your decision to play and enjoy this game. Fine. I get it. But after 21 years playing MMO's I'm no expert either but feel like little things like the whole water / swimming and underwater fighting mechanics or lack thereof in New World are bad design.
    GW2 I think does it best to be honest. Their underwater areas are amazing. You legit feel like your diving and swimming. You get different abilities also which makes sense since your switching your fighting style. You also need underwater weapons like Harpoons and Spear guns, which the game gives you a few basic versions of naturally by just leveling up. You even wear a rebreather helmet to explain why and how your able to stay under so long.
    This is one of THE best systems in an MMO or any game I've played, ever. Even WoW while you easily transition from land to sea by just jumping in the water, the rest of it is just very basic and doesn't change anything other than moving more slowly.
    This is Amazon guys, not some little fly by night company. RnD could have figured out long ago their system was lacking by comparison to some other MMo's but they didn't feel this was a priority to spend any more time on.

Matter of fact with all the other issues in the game I can kind of see how they did all they could to just cobble this thing together to be somewhat workable for a release this year. They wanted to strike while they could before bigger more established games come out with either new content or expansion. In which case the release of New World would get lost in the sauce.
    I don't play new world. Nor would I care if this game was shut down today.

bad design would be an invisible barrier you can't cross for no reason. Good design has a reason you can't cross said barrier even if you disagree with said reason.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account

Having client-side authority without validation on server side in any MMO is insane.
    Last edited by Torched; 2021-10-27 at 08:57 PM.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Seems rather arbitrary, I don't think "There's a reason!" is the line between bad and good design.
    So how is "i don't like it so it's bad design" better?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post

Having client-side authority without validation on server side in any MMO is insane.
    Those glitches are not totally true or always reliable. His information is a little behind in the video. Some of those people trying to move the game window around since the last fix, still die. His point in the video is about client-side validation and while that is an issue- the nature and degree of this exploit are not as easy/common as suggested. He didn't even explain the map icon bug himself; just repeated almost word for word what one of the Reddit commentators speculated.

It's more common to have your stuff disappear in the trade window or when AH muling.

The game is buggy as hell. But these glitches are not that reliable and you still get creamed most of the time. There is another exploit I won't reveal that is more reliable but it's not related to the invincible thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Didn't say it was. Really, the only objective test for something being designed poorly is that it just doesn't work.

Although I suppose if you found something that literally almost everyone hated and it drove your playerbase away, people might also be forgiven for calling that "badly designed" as well.
    Does not being able to swim stop them from crossing a border that Amazon didn't want them to cross?

Seems to me we are in agreement that this specific thing isn't bad design.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    To be fair they were off by 3. 8 different models for a type game-wide isn't a great deal better then 5. Those 8 corrupted you listed are the same 8 corrupted you see the rest of the game. Ebonscale offers a variety simply because they use the Chinese inspired armor. They also have peacocks. Which is amusing because Turkeys have more variety then any other animal in the game since they have 3 different models (Turkey, Peacock, and the reekwater ones since I forget their name).
    5 enemies models imply 5 totals. There are corrupted, ancient, lost, angry earth and beast. Each of them have a numbers of models, which make it way more than "they have like 5 models", and so way more than "off by 3". Also, I named 8, but there are corrupted wolf/bear, which models are different than the normal one, and tentacles, making it now 11 for the corrupted, and there might be more that I just forget / the list might not be complete.

The point remain, it was wrong. No one will deny saying the diversity is limited, but "They got like only 5 enemy models" was wrong, period.
    Last edited by Aoewy; 2021-10-27 at 10:34 PM.

And so, I have begun my 600 GS journey. Here we go!

Sorta ran into a problem. Got around level 25 and I completely ran out of quests to do. If I go to a new town, the quests there are to low leveled, and if I go into the new 25+ zone its more geared towards level 30 players. So I've been spamming those tasks on the mission board for the past few levels, great profession experience but really slow level exp rates. Honestly just getting bored of it now and don't feel like playing anymore.

Also did my first dungeon was a complete trainwreck of a zerg mess. Group just wanted speedrun through it and I couldn't really take anything in. Have fun trying to manage your inventory weight while all that's happening with all the crap that's dropped. And the requirement for melee combat to always be near and pointed exactly at the enemy to him them doesn't work so well when the game is this choppy. It really just reminds me of the soulless dungeon design from Final Fantasy and ESO. WoW still holds the title for being able to actually make them, is it that hard to copy them?

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Sorta ran into a problem. Got around level 25 and I completely ran out of quests to do. If I go to a new town, the quests there are to low leveled, and if I go into the new 25+ zone its more geared towards level 30 players. So I've been spamming those tasks on the mission board for the past few levels, great profession experience but really slow level exp rates. Honestly just getting bored of it now and don't feel like playing anymore.

Also did my first dungeon was a complete trainwreck of a zerg mess. Group just wanted speedrun through it and I couldn't really take anything in. Have fun trying to manage your inventory weight while all that's happening with all the crap that's dropped. And the requirement for melee combat to always be near and pointed exactly at the enemy to him them doesn't work so well when the game is this choppy. It really just reminds me of the soulless dungeon design from Final Fantasy and ESO. WoW still holds the title for being able to actually make them, is it that hard to copy them?
    level 25... go to brightwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Stockers View Post
    level 25... go to brightwood.
    Already mentioned in my post

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    If you leveled linearly through the quests, you sort of made a mistake.

If you want to persist with that strategy try going to the other starter zones- there are many NPCs out in the world with side story quests that are around the 25-30 level range.

You should have an excess of bankable quests by the time you are 60 from all zones. If you ran out it is usually because you played straight, so to speak.

I was level 40 something before I even picked up quests in a 35+ zone and still have the map full of quests I can tap at any point for extra azoth, money, etc. There are various leveling guides with a focus on different things such as speed, watermarking, concurrent crafting, or banking quests if you want to look for different approaches to 60.

There are designed gaps in the main story quest between levels. This is because you're supposed to have filled this time with faction missions, town boards, elites, named mobs, crafting, and portals. You really have to, and should, only do the main quest to cap azoth before a big run at to get your epic weapon and neck at the end before item drop hunting and elite runs. It's a wasted resource otherwise.

You should not be in Brightwood by 25.

Also did my first dungeon was a complete trainwreck of a zerg mess. Group just wanted speedrun through it and I couldn't really take anything in.
    Play with friends. I mean you can't expect others you don't know to play at your pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad design.
    Nah, this is why this game is bad design:

This MMO is client-authoritative...

Patch Notes 1.0.4

https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/...d-update-1-0-4

New World Update 1.0.4 will release for the Central Europe, US East, South America, and AP Southeast regions at 10PM PT (5AM UTC) on October 27. US West will begin downtime at 11PM PT (6AM UTC) on October 27.

Greetings, Adventurers!

Update 1.0.4 is primarily focused on fixing the top issues our players have been hitting in recent weeks, especially those impacting wars. Notable fixes include resolving the AoE magic effect War exploit, the issue preventing players from being able to appropriately increase their Faction token cap, and beginning work on addressing issues causing invulnerability. We’d like to thank you for your patience as our team continues to work on resolving the issues, and for your reports on our official forums. You can find a full list of changes and fixes below, but first, we’d like to share our plan for rolling out Outpost Rush and server transfers in a safe method.

OUTPOST RUSH AND SERVER TRANSFERS ROLLOUT PLAN
    After the downtime required to deploy the 1.0.4 update, we will re-enable Outpost Rush and server transfers at the times listed below.

SERVER TRANSFERS
    US West will be enabled at 2AM PT (9AM UTC) when downtime from 1.0.4 is complete. After we monitor Server Transfers in US West to ensure no new issues are encountered, we will re-enable it for the remaining regions at 2PM PT (9PM UTC). No server restarts are required.

OUTPOST RUSH
    South America: 2AM PT (9AM UTC) when downtime from 1.0.4 is complete.

After we monitor Outpost Rush in South America to ensure no new issues are encountered, we will enable it for the following regions at the times below.

US West: 10AM PT (5PM UTC)

US East: 12PM PT (7PM UTC)

AP Southeast: 2PM PT (9PM UTC)

Central Europe: 7PM PT (2AM UTC, 10/29)

Our goal is to adhere to the schedule above, but may need to adjust the timing depending on any issues (or lack thereof). We’ll keep you updated on our forums and through in-game messaging for any incoming downtime. Thank you to our players in US West and South America for helping us ensure these features are ready for the worldwide rollout, and thank you to everyone for your understanding and patience.

GENERAL CHANGES
    Removed the Everfall starting beach to funnel new players through the other 3 locations to increase the probability of new players and friends being able to start together.
    The first house discount reduces the purchase price, but does not reduce taxes. However, the UI indicated to players that their taxes would be reduced, and it was only after purchasing the house and needing to pay taxes that they discovered they had to pay full price. We will compensate any player who purchased a house before the UI fix went out with 2,000 coins.
    Slightly improved performance within Wars.
    Slightly improved the performance of the Life Staff with changes to the passive abilities Mending Touch and Blissful Touch.
    In update 1.0.3 we corrected a bug causing companies to lose income from owning multiple territories or from failed War declarations. With this update we are reimbursing lost coin revenue.
    The Company treasury will be reimbursed for all lost coin revenue resulting from the issue.
    The revenue returned will not exceed the treasury cap.
    If a Company has been completely abandoned, they will not recover lost coin.
    We increased the Faction token cap by 50% for each Faction tier. We made this change so that players can earn extra tokens even if they've hit the reputation cap and want to save up while working to advance to the next Faction rank. Here are the new values:
    Tier 1: 5,000 tokens, increased to 7,500
    Tier 2: 10,000 tokens, increased to 15,000
    Tier 3: 15,000 tokens, increased to 22,500
    Tier 4: 25,000 tokens, increased to 37,500
    Tier 5: 50,000 tokens, increased to 75,000
    GENERAL BUG FIXES
    Fixed an issue where the Faction token caps were not increasing after players had completed the rank-up quests for their faction.
    Fixed a rare issue causing world time to skip ahead or behind, which would subsequently cause a variety of issues across the world.
    Fixed an issue causing players to lose houses they owned in Cutlass Keys.
    Fixed several rare server crash issues.
    Fixed an issue with the suspension/ban notification showing incorrect times.
    Fixed an issue where players could use their world transfer token while they still had active trading post contracts, causing additional issues when the transfer resolved.
    Fixed an issue causing some AI to not spawn in the world as intended.
    Fixed an issue where Mrykgard Corrupted portals in Shattered Mountain were distributing higher tier gear than intended, and respawning faster than intended.
    Fixed an issue where enemies in Myrkgard Corrupted portal events were dropping loot.
    Fixed an issue causing an unintended animation when interacting with the bubbling cauldron housing item, and an issue causing the ladle object to not appear in the player’s hand while interacting.
    Fixed an issue with Starmetal and Orichalcum ore veins where large ore veins were rewarding small amounts of ore and small ore veins were rewarding larger amounts of ore.
    Fixed an issue where the War lottery timer would not pause correctly during the War lockout period.
    Fixed the render distance of the Jack-o-Lantern Pumpkin lights.
    Fixed an issue causing the GM chat tag to show on non-GM players.
    Fixed an issue causing armor textures to flicker.
    Fixed an issue in the Starstone Barrows Expedition where the arcane protection was not protecting players from certain lasers.
    Fixed an issue where certain enemies in the Amrine Excavation were invulnerable.
    Fixed an issue where the Ice Pylon could stay on an infinite cooldown.
    Fixed an issue where players could obtain rings that had two perks sharing an exclusive perk label, and shouldn't exist on the same ring.
    Fixed an issue causing the projectile visual to be absent from Ice Gauntlet and Ice Pylon attacks.
    Fixed an issue where players would be unable to complete a variety of game actions after fast traveling.
    SPECULATIVE FIXES
    The fixes listed below are tentative fixes and mitigations. Our goal is to get these changes out and see if issues persist, so we can continue to work on them and address in a future update if necessary.

Fixed a War exploit where players could use area of effect (AoE) magic effects to capture rally points without taking damage. This should be improved by the War performance and Life Staff performance updates, but we will continue to monitor to see if issues persist.
    We have fixed several known causes of players being invulnerable. This issue is a top priority for our team, and we are continuing to track down fixes for additional causes of this issue.
    We have speculatively fixed the issue where players could get stuck after leaving Outpost Rush. This was a rare issue and our team was not able to reproduce it. We will continue to monitor during the rollout.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Nah, this is why this game is bad design:

This MMO is client-authoritative...
    Lets think about your reply for just 1 second.

We are talking about not being able to swim.

And you reply with a video about a invulnerability bug as proof that not being able to swim is bad design......

OK you win......

10+ Year Old Account

So if you do the window bug while rolling you take no damage. You can also see at 7:10 that the bleed debuff is removed with no damage applied as well.
    Last edited by Torched; 2021-10-28 at 02:41 AM.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

None of it matters right now anyway - login servers are dead in the water and thats a few hours before a 4+ hour maint to release a hotfix. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Lets think about your reply for just 1 second.

We are talking about not being able to swim.

And you reply with a video about a invulnerability bug as proof that not being able to swim is bad design......

OK you win......
    It's not "proof" of swim anything, it's proof that the game is of bad design. Fundamentally. Swim animations are the least of its problems...

15+ Year Old Account
    bad design would be an invisible barrier you can't cross for no reason. Good design has a reason you can't cross said barrier even if you disagree with said reason.
    But it is designed poorly. NPC's don't follow the same rules and can do everything in the water. It is an unnecessary addition just to annoy players. It even stops you from opening the inventory. That aspect alone makes it poorly designed. It is just like cooking having one "herb" node for the entire game but you randomly get other herbs from that node in rare quanities despite being needed in large amounts for cooking. That is a poor design.

The "Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad" is just a silly dismissal used to gate keep discussion.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

It is an unnecessary addition just to annoy players.
    I can confidently say that there has never been a design meeting where the agenda was, "How can we annoy our players."

It's an environmental hazard/soft barrier, treat it as such. That's what it's designed to be, that's what it functions as.

Man, I don't think anyone could have foreseen water/swimming being one of the most contentious issues for New World.