1. #3461
    All awards are marketing events. Either they serve to promote the product or the selection body. Such as the Grammy Awards or NY Film Critics Circle, respectively.

  2. #3462
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    B'ham, AL
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    As pointed out elsewhere: The Game Awards are not a remotely serious event. It's a marketing event, little more, and the nominees/winners are chosen more based on how big budget/well known they are than anything else.

    But there is no "Best MMO" category. There's "Best Ongoing Game" which features MMO's and other live-service games, which New World isn't even nominated for, and "Best Multiplayer Game" alongside games like It Takes Two or Back 4 Blood that will eat its lunch.

    "Serious" game awards are at places like GDC and DICE. Game Awards is legit just a marketing event to reveal new games/trailers, have a bunch of celebrities, and used to be a whole televised thing before Spike TV went under and it moved online.
    I'm not even sure it was/is The Game Awards. Unless that's the only one with any notices up right now - cuz I don't follow the game shows. I just see a couple of ads here and there (not for NWO but for whatever awards list is advertising/asking for players to vote, etc.). If "New World" wasn't on the MMO/Online game (whatever list) then guess what - that wasn't the awards show I saw the 'call out' for! =D

    And agree about awards and marketing events, I get it. They're all that way - I know.

    Still doesn't mean I won't be shocked or roll my eyes when I see something so blatently /bad/ in their lineup of 'nominations.' Unless its all nominated by players (only) doesn't mean it won't reflect badly on whatever marketing you're trying to do - to 'sell' pieces of crap. (Or that you won't get backlash for picking /wrong/ in your categories - as we've seen more of in the last few years.)


    If an awards show is going to shoot itself in the foot by not even nominating something 'subjectively' bad, but something completely broken - that's on them and they deserved to be called out for it in every format possible, as many times as necessary, until either they lose ssponsorship because no one is watching or change their standards. They can grow a brainstem and raise that bar a little - or continue to be a joke. And commented on by randoms like us on the interwebs .


    (sorry for the typos the keyboard or the forum box is doing something wierd and I can't seem to fix them all - sorry!)
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

  3. #3463
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    for comparison, i asked for a refund for cyberpunk 2077 within like first 5 days of playing it. then it took GOG/CDPR/whatever like two, three more weeks to actually refund the game, so i was forcing myself to play it for 30h+
    You felt forced into playing a game you disliked for 30h+ because the refund took a while?

  4. #3464
    Herald of the Titans Proskill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    2,916
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    You felt forced into playing a game you disliked for 30h+ because the refund took a while?
    yeah, and i didnt have the certainty if i still qualify for the refund if it takes them so long.
    and more importantly it was CP77. the hype was through the roof. some ppl hated it, some ppl loved it. i wanted to give it a chance, i really did.
    Last edited by Proskill; 2021-12-10 at 11:29 AM.
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

  5. #3465
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    As pointed out elsewhere: The Game Awards are not a remotely serious event. It's a marketing event, little more, and the nominees/winners are chosen more based on how big budget/well known they are than anything else.

    But there is no "Best MMO" category. There's "Best Ongoing Game" which features MMO's and other live-service games, which New World isn't even nominated for, and "Best Multiplayer Game" alongside games like It Takes Two or Back 4 Blood that will eat its lunch.

    "Serious" game awards are at places like GDC and DICE. Game Awards is legit just a marketing event to reveal new games/trailers, have a bunch of celebrities, and used to be a whole televised thing before Spike TV went under and it moved online.
    Fair enough, but come on. NW is a utter mess and a disgrace of a MMORPG. Theres no reason it should even be mentioned at all, unless amazon spilled out the cash and made them do it. Could be it.

  6. #3466
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Fair enough, but come on. NW is a utter mess and a disgrace of a MMORPG. Theres no reason it should even be mentioned at all, unless amazon spilled out the cash and made them do it. Could be it.
    Or it is just a major game with a name and brand. I suppose one could nominate Anime Princess Grind Online but that doesn't bring a lot of market value to the table vis-a-vis a majorly released Western game by the gigantic entity, Amazon.


    Even if New World was utterly terrible, which you might think is the case, it would still be nominated because of the major profile it represents.

  7. #3467
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Anime Princess Grind Online
    I'd play this based off the title alone.

  8. #3468
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'd play this based off the title alone.
    I know the audience of this message board.

  9. #3469
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Or it is just a major game with a name and brand. I suppose one could nominate Anime Princess Grind Online but that doesn't bring a lot of market value to the table vis-a-vis a majorly released Western game by the gigantic entity, Amazon.


    Even if New World was utterly terrible, which you might think is the case, it would still be nominated because of the major profile it represents.
    Well that just says it all doesnt it? Its just about branding, nothing about quality.

    This is not about what I think of the game. If you havent noticed, theres quite a few issues with NW. So many its difficult to know where to begin, many of them downright gamebreaking. Still happening to. Theres servers with 5(!) -FIVE- players online. FIVE.

    Not to mention it mediocre at best when it comes to literally everything except two things:
    1. It looks amazing.
    2. Proffession system is decent, atleast in the beginning(Theres so many issues with that too though).

  10. #3470
    Well that just says it all doesnt it? Its just about branding, nothing about quality.
    Yup. That's life, brother.

  11. #3471
    Quote Originally Posted by MrYesbody View Post
    But the fact that New World was completely trashed down in these awards makes it funnier.
    What does this mean? I have never heard a piece of media or performer described this way and using this bizarre language before regarding award nominations.

    How does media get "trashed down" in the context of award nominations?

    Where is this term or phrasing commonly used?

    This does not sound like the kind of language a professional would ever use, formally or informally.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-12-12 at 04:59 PM.

  12. #3472
    Quote Originally Posted by MrYesbody View Post
    Funny how they got completely wrecked there still. Wierd though, right?

    Wanna hear something funny beside that? 7 Years ago I still was a developer, Indy and not something big. Still there was the time of the year you could buy yourself into these awards.
    Awards mean absolutely nothing. If they are community decided the games win that are a) hyped on twitch or b) have a loud vocal mass. Like Forza Hirzon 5 won the award for Soundtrack etc.

    But the fact that New World was completely trashed down in these awards makes it funnier.

    At least it stabilizied with a small steady decrease at 100k players at peak while the played time overall still goes down fast, extremely fast.
    The game is a failure for everyone who bought it beside a small minority.
    Just a small loss of 90% of the players and 95% less time played
    WoW has lost over 90% of its playerbase compared to how many have bought and tried it, a game doesnt need millions of players to be successful and players can come back to New World whenever they want as the game evolves, regardless of its issues its still a good MMO that actually wants you to team up and do stuff, most other MMOs are mostly single player with optional multiplayer.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  13. #3473
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    WoW has lost over 90% of its playerbase compared to how many have bought and tried it, a game doesnt need millions of players to be successful and players can come back to New World whenever they want as the game evolves, regardless of its issues its still a good MMO that actually wants you to team up and do stuff, most other MMOs are mostly single player with optional multiplayer.
    What do I need to group for in NW to obtain stuff that I cant do alone? Dungeons? Like every other MMORPG. BGs? Like every other MMORPG. Quests? Sure, like every other MMORPG. I reached almost lvl 40 before I quit and the only time I was in a grp was for dungeons and those mindless zergfiestas to clear out corruption. Beyond that, it was a solo game. Something I have no problem with personally, but lets just be honest here: This is not a game that forces or incentivies you to group up and do stuff a whole lot, atleast not more than any other MMORPG.

    Most of the time you run around alone doing whatever. No idea where and when grouping is important except from the usual MMORPG stuff.


    I'll give you one thing though - since its a one time purchase players can always return at a MUCH later stage IF they game has become better. Also as you said, it doesnt need millions of players either. What it do need right now is to combine servers.

  14. #3474
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    What do I need to group for in NW to obtain stuff that I cant do alone? Dungeons? Like every other MMORPG. BGs? Like every other MMORPG. Quests? Sure, like every other MMORPG. I reached almost lvl 40 before I quit and the only time I was in a grp was for dungeons and those mindless zergfiestas to clear out corruption. Beyond that, it was a solo game. Something I have no problem with personally, but lets just be honest here: This is not a game that forces or incentivies you to group up and do stuff a whole lot, atleast not more than any other MMORPG.

    Most of the time you run around alone doing whatever. No idea where and when grouping is important except from the usual MMORPG stuff.


    I'll give you one thing though - since its a one time purchase players can always return at a MUCH later stage IF they game has become better. Also as you said, it doesnt need millions of players either. What it do need right now is to combine servers.
    You are required to group up at max level for the max level elite areas so you get more chances at loot, you can tag along with other groups solo but all you do is open chests, the game even wants you to group up throughout leveling since its so much easier playing with others,

    NW has incentives to group up and do content with others, PvP flagged gives players higher chances of better loot so you want to group up for open world content, and the main content in the game is to group up and take towns and do wars.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  15. #3475
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    You are required to group up at max level for the max level elite areas so you get more chances at loot, you can tag along with other groups solo but all you do is open chests, the game even wants you to group up throughout leveling since its so much easier playing with others,

    NW has incentives to group up and do content with others, PvP flagged gives players higher chances of better loot so you want to group up for open world content, and the main content in the game is to group up and take towns and do wars.
    Yes, just like in any other MMORPG. You group up to overcome difficult challenges and get rewarded with good loot.

  16. #3476
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Yes, just like in any other MMORPG. You group up to overcome difficult challenges and get rewarded with good loot.
    NW is mostly designed around pushing players to group together, most MMOs are not designed that way and are mostly played like a single player with optional grouping if desired, i wouldnt call the automatic group finder tools real multiplayer even if you are playing with other ppl the content is usually trivial in difficulty.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  17. #3477
    I knew it was mediocre, at best, the moment I tried it out during the Beta. Glad more people are opening their eyes.

  18. #3478
    Quote Originally Posted by MrYesbody View Post
    Yeh, but not within 2 months without a subscription model.
    If you enjoy New World, cool. I still think (and the masses now do) that New World is just a big failure and I will never buy another Amazon Game again. They tried a lot of stuff, even opened this "new" studio for the game and they can't get shit done.
    New World isnt a game for everyone, its main focus currently is still wars so if you dont like that content its not a game for a casual player, also it requires a ton of time just to get to max level, some gamers just cant put in enough effort to even get to max level in NW so they give up, WoW has taken years to polish out and it still screws things up all the time, it can hardly be called a big failure.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  19. #3479
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    New World isnt a game for everyone, its main focus currently is still wars so if you dont like that content its not a game for a casual player, also it requires a ton of time just to get to max level, some gamers just cant put in enough effort to even get to max level in NW so they give up, WoW has taken years to polish out and it still screws things up all the time, it can hardly be called a big failure.
    See that's just the problem, Amazon had 12 years of WoW, plus FF XIV, ESO, Guild Wars 2, etc to reference when they started developing New World. They really don't have an excuse for screwing up things to the degree that they have, they should've researched and learned from the competition's failures and missteps. But then again we have to take into consideration that New World was 1 of 3 games Amazon Game Studios announced back in 2016, and the other 2 never saw the light of day.

  20. #3480
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei View Post
    See that's just the problem, Amazon had 12 years of WoW, plus FF XIV, ESO, Guild Wars 2, etc to reference when they started developing New World. They really don't have an excuse for screwing up things to the degree that they have, they should've researched and learned from the competition's failures and missteps. But then again we have to take into consideration that New World was 1 of 3 games Amazon Game Studios announced back in 2016, and the other 2 never saw the light of day.
    Players dont even have the slightest idea on what they want in a game, so how can a developer know everything that will work. We need developers to try different things not copy just what works, thats how games evolve and get better, i want developers to take risks with new games and try things, but the current generation of gamers just complains constantly and has way too high expectations, the main problem is you just cant please the current gen of gamers no matter what, that means we dont get many companies trying to break the mould.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •