Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    Source for most popular one ?
    How about reality? The mmo so successful they had to stop selling it.

Let's stop pretending it isn't, It's daft at this juncture.

Quote Originally Posted by MrYesbody View Post
    Weebs tend to be loud in the internet (because they probably can't people to real people in the real world) and therefore they are screaming on top of their lungs that their terrible MMORPG designed for terrible players is the most popular.
    Maybe it is the most popular simply because they want it to be popular even thouhg it's a big terrible. STill better than New World ended though.
    Its a mix of both.

Never played it, never will cause i dislike the renders but i also have the brain and eyes to see that it provides what a very large of amount of low skilled "I want single player in a MMO" players are hungry for, without having the gaming knowledge to understand there are other games that provide this that are at least in my opinion, better than JRPGs.

Its not weird that its popular at the moment, the WoW haters are being loud and made it popular, the FFXIV "weebs" were given a chance to be vocal and make their game more popular, etc.

I can tell this as someone in the general IT/PC business, when i am being asked by completely irrelevant with the whole gaming world people "If i have heard of FFXIV", i know its the same thing as it happened with League of Legends 10 years ago, and the same thing with WoW 16 years ago, cause it happened with those games too, its publicity that spreads everywhere because its non-stop, as FFXIV has been for 6 months now, doesnt matter if its a good game, it got popular, thats all a game in 2020+ needs.

New World is the opposite, its a game heavy on the PC so not everyone can play it, combined with mostly known by people already in the MMO scene that tried it out, i havent had third parties mentioning it yet, compared to FFXIV the last 6 months.
    Last edited by potis; 2021-12-20 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    Source for most popular one ?
    Don't hold your breath for any valid source. But they'll surely attempt to push you into believing it.

(edit. Oh, nevermind, "reality" seems to be such source. You have been answered!)

Quote Originally Posted by Aoewy View Post
    And it has a PTR now so whats even the point of talking about that? Because it wasnt up week 1? Which mmos had a ptr/pts up and running right out of the gate the same week it launched? ESO took 2 months, swtor if my memory serve me well didnt have one right at the launch. I dont recall WoW tbh its been too long. Guild wars 2 and FF14 dont have one, BDO either to my knowledge.
    GW2 has one up for expansion stuff right now afaik.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Don't hold your breath for any valid source. But they'll surely attempt to push you into believing it.

(edit. Oh, nevermind, "reality" seems to be such source. You have been answered!)
    Please, lets see a source of where it says another one is.

There are plenty saying FF is. Google trends, mmo pop, plethora of publicans as linked here, awards won, sales, how they closed down sales cause of congestion, queues in the thousands, etc.

The thing is, the "source" you want is not revealed to the public, so you want to hide behind that as close your eyes and years to what everyone can see. Anyone can be stubborn, doesn't mean they are right.
    Look at flat earthers, You can show them a picture of the earth and they just dismiss it as CGI. They want a piece of evidence that fits them, not the truth. I am afraid the case here is not very different.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-12-20 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Please, lets see a source of where it says another one is.
    Why would i need a source if i'm not the one making such claims? *sigh*

That's not how arguments go. Why bother. Just keep preaching whatever you see fit. Have at it.

Why would i need a source if i'm not the one making such claims? *sigh*

That's not how arguments go. Why bother. Just keep preaching whatever you see fit. Have at it.
    Because the poster linked sources in the previous page, so if you're going to suggest that this is a false narrative, surely you have your own sources to prove it and discredit said poster claims?

Because the poster linked sources in the previous page, so if you're going to suggest that this is a false narrative, surely you have your own sources to prove it and discredit said poster claims?
    No, the poster i was arguing about linked no such thing (another one had meanwhile, but i hadn't been keeping up with the thread), also, those news links posted are not facts, and the articles themselves say the data is 'suspect' (if anyone bothered reading, instead of copy pasteing links), considering how they obtain it via a site using not completely accurate APIs, data source which they all use from the same site (Wowpopulation or whatever).

But sure. If those are the reliable sources, feel free to keep claiming it, it's fine.

I've seen all sorts of metrics being used to gauge popularity, from realm population count from api\addons, amount of viewers on twitch, support on fansites\message boards... hell, even strawpolls at this point. Was actually looking for legit sources, but i guess those don't come by anymore in the industry (regardless of game).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavin View Post
    People will find shit to complain about though.
    Most of us really like New World, and still after several hundreds of hours played I havent ran into an issue or bugs so far. Except server wide which effected the auction house etc.
    I'm sure there are some bugs in this game, but it's damn hard to find unless you go out of your way to do so
    this is both a factually incorrect statement, as well as just straight up apathetic:

to start with, you have been affected by 'bugs' and the like since the game released, if you ever used the 'light armour' weight classification on your character, it didn't provide the stated damage buff %, it was significantly less due to the developers fucking up the mathematics behind it meaning that it was providing less than half the buff it should have been (this problem also affected weapon skill buffs).

until a very recent patch it was (outside of a very specific set of values) impossible to find fae iron/petrified wood due to yet another mathematics fuck up by the developers.

there have been a myriad of weapon bugs since release affecting almost every weapon type in the game, unless you have only used weapons that were unaffected (which is unlikely due to the nature of the weapon system in the game), you will have been affected by some of these issues passively.

there's a whole list of other things that have affected people 'behind the scenes' that are just now starting to get fixed, try and at least pretend that you have some knowledge of the problems before making such a stupid comment in future.

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    this is both a factually incorrect statement, as well as just straight up apathetic:

to start with, you have been affected by 'bugs' and the like since the game released, if you ever used the 'light armour' weight classification on your character, it didn't provide the stated damage buff %, it was significantly less due to the developers fucking up the mathematics behind it meaning that it was providing less than half the buff it should have been (this problem also affected weapon skill buffs).

until a very recent patch it was (outside of a very specific set of values) impossible to find fae iron/petrified wood due to yet another mathematics fuck up by the developers.

there have been a myriad of weapon bugs since release affecting almost every weapon type in the game, unless you have only used weapons that were unaffected (which is unlikely due to the nature of the weapon system in the game), you will have been affected by some of these issues passively.

there's a whole list of other things that have affected people 'behind the scenes' that are just now starting to get fixed, try and at least pretend that you have some knowledge of the problems before making such a stupid comment in future.
    Not to mention the auction house and outpost rush (THE endgame activity) literally being taken offline due to bugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, the poster i was arguing about linked no such thing (another one had meanwhile, but i hadn't been keeping up with the thread), also, those news links posted are not facts, and the articles themselves say the data is 'suspect' (if anyone bothered reading, instead of copy pasteing links), considering how they obtain it via a site using not completely accurate APIs, data source which they all use from the same site (Wowpopulation or whatever).

But sure. If those are the reliable sources, feel free to keep claiming it, it's fine.

I've seen all sorts of metrics being used to gauge popularity, from realm population count from api\addons, amount of viewers on twitch, support on fansites\message boards... hell, even strawpolls at this point. Was actually looking for legit sources, but i guess those don't come by anymore in the industry (regardless of game).
    in the latest developer communication they (FF14) have stopped ALL new purchases of the game in any capacity (physical media and digital download), they have pulled any AND ALL marketing outside of those they are contractually bound to display, they have a player population beyond their servers total capacity available and thanks to the global silicone shortage, as well as covid compounding the problem they are unable to expand on physical server hardware and that's what's led them to make these changes, this is what the poster meant when they said 'look at the reality of it' people are sat in hours long queues on EVERY REALM to log in to play, on a daily basis, while the developers haven't released the EXACT player count, it doesn't take a mathematics genius to work out that it's the most popular and therefore most played MMO on the market right now, or are you just being obtuse and obnoxious because 'insert your favourite MMO here' isn't on top?

in the latest developer communication they (FF14) have stopped ALL new purchases of the game in any capacity (physical media and digital download), they have pulled any AND ALL marketing outside of those they are contractually bound to display, they have a player population beyond their servers total capacity available and thanks to the global silicone shortage, as well as covid compounding the problem they are unable to expand on physical server hardware and that's what's led them to make these changes, this is what the poster meant when they said 'look at the reality of it' people are sat in hours long queues on EVERY REALM to log in to play, on a daily basis, while the developers haven't released the EXACT player count, it doesn't take a mathematics genius to work out that it's the most popular and therefore most played MMO on the market right now, or are you just being obtuse and obnoxious because 'insert your favourite MMO here' isn't on top?
    Alrighty then. Inability to deal with excess players and consequential long queues are now "the metric" to use. Good to know.

I don't know how many play FFXIV outside of steam, but they DOUBLED their concurrent steam players with endwalker (to a value around half those of new world, which i guess is more popular? good as metric as any shown here - https://steamcharts.com/top )

Detours happen, but we're getting very off-topic for the New World thread. Please keep discussion about the game folks, if you want to discuss FFXIV there's a whole forum for that. Thanks y'all.

15+ Year Old Account
    So apparently reporting bugs can get you strikes on your youtube channel from AGS now.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

10+ Year Old Account
    Alrighty then. Inability to deal with excess players and consequential long queues are now "the metric" to use. Good to know.

I don't know how many play FFXIV outside of steam, but they DOUBLED their concurrent steam players with endwalker (to a value around half those of new world, which i guess is more popular? good as metric as any shown here - https://steamcharts.com/top )
    i'll give you a hint: THE VAST MAJORITY OF THEIR PLAYERBASE

this is the last i'll spell this out, new world has had a cataclysmically steep fall off of player numbers, to the point where they can't even maintain full realms on the most popular realms anymore, conversely, the most popular, most hyped, and most played MMO on the market has seen their playerbase skyrocket to the point they are denying sales because they quite literally cannot deal with the sheer influx of players, even now weeks after their expansion launched they are seeing not only a steady player count, but it's increasing as more people had upgraded their free trials, or bought digital codes etc, the difference between the 2 games is night and day, i genuinely don't understand why you are so obtuse on the topic but if it's your coping mechanism then ok i guess.

- - - Updated - - -

And it has a PTR now so whats even the point of talking about that? Because it wasnt up week 1? Which mmos had a ptr/pts up and running right out of the gate the same week it launched? ESO took 2 months, swtor if my memory serve me well didnt have one right at the launch. I dont recall WoW tbh its been too long. Guild wars 2 and FF14 dont have one, BDO either to my knowledge.
    no, the game has its old preview/beta servers as some kind of 'early access' playground for those that care, they (AGS) have shown on multiple occasions they have no fucking idea how to use a PTR, they likely didn't even know it was operational until someone pointed it out on a youtube video, why do i say this you ask?, because they have pushed 'fixes' directly to the live game, bypassing the so called 'PTR' they have, not only fucking over the live client, but causing yet more distrust in the already decimated playerbase, the development team are grossly out of their league when it comes to game development, and nothing they have said or done has improved that sentiment.

no, the game has its old preview/beta servers as some kind of 'early access' playground for those that care, they (AGS) have shown on multiple occasions they have no fucking idea how to use a PTR, they likely didn't even know it was operational until someone pointed it out on a youtube video, why do i say this you ask?, because they have pushed 'fixes' directly to the live game, bypassing the so called 'PTR' they have, not only fucking over the live client, but causing yet more distrust in the already decimated playerbase, the development team are grossly out of their league when it comes to game development, and nothing they have said or done has improved that sentiment.
    I've never claimed they didn't take bad decision like pushing changes on the live server without passing by the test realm first. But they do have a ptr, it doesnt matter if its the same infrastructure they used for their beta/preview, as long as the build pushed on this server is the same or ahead of the current one and they use it as a staging where they can push content to be tested, its a PTR, which is what I said.

You can calculate what the minimum is at least. Take the maximum population a realm can hold, multiply that by number of realms and that would give you a MINIMUM concurrent playerbase not even counting the thousands and thousands sitting in queue.

New world right now has servers with 8 players on them.

It surpasses 24 million player? you know thats account made? Which wow had 100 million already durring mop. Do you even read your sources?

´´With around 40,000 concurrent players at the end of June, Final Fantasy 14 has effectively doubled its playerbase over the last six months.´´

Woooow. So 0.001666666% of Player are online at the same time ? Iam not sure if the maths gonna work out at all.

´´Final Fantasy 14 Is Apparently the World’s Most Played MMORPG´´ APPARENTLY, and the article even says the sources are wonky.

Holy dam do I even wanted to continue reading the links you posted, since you didnt even read them yourself?

- - - Updated - - -

The links they posted are literally filled with believing and theorys. Amazing sources

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Detours happen, but we're getting very off-topic for the New World thread. Please keep discussion about the game folks, if you want to discuss FFXIV there's a whole forum for that. Thanks y'all.
    You mods usually ban me without warning when i start discussing and they just get a warning? Pff

OT: Game really fading away towards the background though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?