Page 44 of 63 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    That's cool but all you said was agreeing with me. Crafting is not compelling tho simply because there is not deep meaning behind it. I never said it was bad. Its just that even tho you progress your crafting most of it is garbage. Maybe furniture is exception. When I think about compelling crafting I think about Satisfactory, Factorio, maybe even Terraria, Minecraft, Subnautica.
    Oh I didnt want to disagree with you, just add my two cents. New World is a very unfinished, unpolished and shallow game as of now.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

So after playing ALOT of New World I think I can say it is nice but it isn't fantasy enough or me and the world just isn't as immersive as I would have hoped. Its completely a taste thing with me, New World is very historical fantasy, and I like elves and Dwarfs and things.

I am looking for an experience I will probably never have in an MMO again that only WoW has made me feel once back in 2005. And I am not sure any MMO has that pull for me. Sadly so, glad to see lots of people enjoying ti though, so you lot have fun
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-07-28 at 12:14 PM.
    Proof is boring. Proof is tiresome. Proof is irrelevance. People would rather be handed an easy lie than search for a difficult truth, especially when it suits their own purpose.
    - Glokta
    The Last Argument of Kings, The First Law Trilogy.

I don't understand people saying the combat is clunky/bland in this game. It's the first MMO I have played in a long time where the combat grabs me and immerses me. Yes, you can only choose up to six abilities total, but think about WoW. You may have 30+ abilities (especially in older versions of the game), but realistically you may use 3-6 in any given situation. The complexity of WoW's combat (from a PvP standpoint) comes from using macros to enhance your gameplay and your reaction times. A game does not need 30+ abilities to have complex combat.

After many duels with friends in New World I can guarantee you that the combat is not bland once you get into it. There is a lot of emphasis on timing your abilities, watching your enemy's attack animations and learning their attack/combo patterns. For example, some attacks render them immune to particular cc's, so you need to know not to waste your cc ability at that particular moment. Dodging adds a skill element to the game, i.e. not being too predictable with your dodge timing/direction otherwise you'll get axe-gripped and watch him eat away at your health bar during a knockdown.

For me, the world is thriving with life and I love that. It could be bigger, but that will come in time. The zones are beautiful. The feeling of community in the game is something WoW has been missing for a long time.

Probably the only concern I have is content becoming stale if they don't add to it. Ranked small-scale arena combat could work quite well in this game, 2v2, 3v3, maybe 5v5. The game could easily fit in 10-man raids if it wanted to.

Crafting is great. Something you need to make sure you do is not diversify too much. It gives you the option to become a master crafted at basically anything, but you can easily become burnt out on crafting if you focus on too much at once.

Loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    1440p tanks my fps by 50% compared to 1080p. The resolution matters a lot.
    Eh, I tried 1080, but it looks super blurry on my 1440 monitor so ill take the fps hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Eh, I tried 1080, but it looks super blurry on my 1440 monitor so ill take the fps hit.
    Yes, you can't use 1080 on a 1440 monitor.

Which is exactly the issue I'm having! For now, I'll settle for the lower fps, too.

Tried playing on my secondary 1080p monitor, but it's so much smaller and has worse colours etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Got to level 35. Can't tell the difference between the quests are lvl 1 and the quests at 35, hell even the environment. Only different is a different tint of lighting (Brightwood's lightning is cool though). The way spawns work in the game are very annoying. Quests need to scale (or if they do they need to be rebalanced) or the game needs a better way of telling you that you're doing quests way below your level since just about every modern MMO has scaling quests rewards.

A lot of servers are now dominated by one faction now, theres nothing that promotes being the underdog or a means for a underdog faction to catch up. Being that being in the wrong faction locks out of of crafting and a lot of the economy (you become a slave to taxes and the trading post), people are going to pile onto the dominate faction if they want to progress their character. Theres 1 million incentives to join the biggest faction and 0 besides RP to join one without territories.

Animation locking is going to kill PVP are a month, if people last that long. If you have a heavy weapon, Ill just wait until you get stuck in an animation, dodge, and kill you. Simple as that. With a lack of interupts and CC thats likely to land, PVP is either long rangle Musket/Ice Gauntlet wars are exploiting the clunky animation locks.

This game isn't 'bad', it lacks polish and systems to promote longevity.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    A lot of servers are now dominated by one faction now, theres nothing that promotes being the underdog or a means for a underdog faction to catch up. Being that being in the wrong faction locks out of of crafting and a lot of the economy (you become a slave to taxes and the trading post), people are going to pile onto the dominate faction if they want to progress their character. Theres 1 million incentives to join the biggest faction and 0 besides RP to join one without territories.
    Definitely a Bezos game.

Got to level 35. Can't tell the difference between the quests are lvl 1 and the quests at 35, hell even the environment. Only different is a different tint of lighting (Brightwood's lightning is cool though). The way spawns work in the game are very annoying. Quests need to scale (or if they do they need to be rebalanced) or the game needs a better way of telling you that you're doing quests way below your level since just about every modern MMO has scaling quests rewards.

Animation locking is going to kill PVP are a month, if people last that long. If you have a heavy weapon, Ill just wait until you get stuck in an animation, dodge, and kill you. Simple as that. With a lack of interupts and CC thats likely to land, PVP is either long rangle Musket/Ice Gauntlet wars are exploiting the clunky animation locks.

You would think that after decades of these games developers would learn that faction divides will naturally gravitate towards one faction ruling everything.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

It sounds like Archeage.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

This game is a total fail of inconsistency.

My favorite part is how it's meant to put crafting and gathering at the forefront with combat. Yet there is almost nothing valuable to make, everyone can gather easily, faction gear and drops are plentiful/better and there is no item recycling (aka no supply and demand system). This is gonna be the perfect storm of undercutting, price floors and irrelevant profit ratios like every other static MMO's economy and crafting professions.

Crafters can be 3rd class citizens once again!
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.
    Classic+ Retune/New Boss Abilities >>> #nochanges crowd

Crafting in MMOs is almost inherently flawed.

If crafting is exclusive and requires inordinate amounts of investment, then an elite of people forms who supply the market - dictating prices and becoming obscenely wealthy, neither of which the population at large responds well to.

If crafting is ubiquitous and requires very little investment, then everybody can supply their own - leading to prices plummeting into a bottomless abyss, and crafting as a whole becoming either irrelevant or just another chore.

If crafting is personal, then it's just drops with extra steps - the non-tradable materials involved mean that you do activities you'd do for other gear, except instead of getting the gear right away you have extra hoops to jump through.

It's almost impossible to find a satisfying middle ground there, especially as there seems to be a correlation between a game's popularity and people min/maxing its systems. One possible route is making the crafting itself into a separate minigame attractive not just because of its rewards but because of the enjoyment involved in the process itself; this, however, seems to rarely work, as people (rightfully) see crafting as just a tiny sliver of the actual game and don't want it to overshadow other activities.

I’m pleasantly surprised with new world tbh. It is gorgeous, and shockingly buttery smooth. It’s combat and how responsive it is has console blockbuster AAA game feel, not mmorpg in beta feel

We’ve all played enough mmorpgs to know the combat isn’t always the strongest suit and it’s stuck 20 years in the past often, but this felt different. And we’ve all played enough mmorpg betas to know they are usually laggy, buggy messes but this isn’t. At least not my experience with it.

If they can keep the cash shop from ruining the game, the sky is the limit and it couldn’t have picked a better release date with all the outside the game news about WoW decimating it’s remaining population.

Animation cancelling is not a good to have in a game, its what actually makes combat clunky and not fun, combat is about making a decisions and using skill to get a better outcome, it makes no sense whatsoever to be able to cancel an attack since most attacks in NW are instant or very fast to activate as it is.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Animation cancelling is not a good to have in a game, its what actually makes combat clunky and not fun, combat is about making a decisions and using skill to get a better outcome, it makes no sense whatsoever to be able to cancel an attack since most attacks in NW are instant or very fast to activate as it is.
    This is patently false. Animation canceling usually turns clunky games into not-as-clunky games. In real life, you aren't bound to just follow through on an idea to execute an attack. You can usually abandon that idea at any point until just about the last 3rd of it. Fakes are a HUGE part of high end fighting, especially in sword fights.

Clunky is being forced to watch your character do something dumb for 3 seconds despite you having obviously realized there is a big threat and now you're getting punished despite having the ability to recognize you should change your action.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    This is patently false. Animation canceling usually turns clunky games into not-as-clunky games. In real life, you aren't bound to just follow through on an idea to execute an attack. You can usually abandon that idea at any point until just about the last 3rd of it. Fakes are a HUGE part of high end fighting, especially in sword fights.

Clunky is being forced to watch your character do something dumb for 3 seconds despite you having obviously realized there is a big threat and now you're getting punished despite having the ability to recognize you should change your action.
    In real life if you start an action you have to follow through with it, swinging a large hammer for example there is no way to cancel that, animation canceling is the worst and clunkiest type of combat and games are not actually designed on the premise of constantly cancelling attacks. If you fake an attack you still have to complete it you cant just cancel any motion in real life.

In combat you make a decision and should have to deal with any consequences if you made the wrong one, most if not all abilities in NW are instantly activated so once you use it there is no going back, if you miss the target then you deserve to take some extra dmg.

The combat in NW is not clunky at all currently, it works pretty well.

In real life if you start an action you have to follow through with it, swinging a large hammer for example there is no way to cancel that,
    Spoken like someone who has never actually fought with large weapons. You can just... stop swinging. Period. No melee weapon alive that is actually effective "locks" you into your decision IRL, again, until about the last third when it's way out in front of you about to hit your target. In addition, you can just move your body even IF something were to happen to have that much fucking momentum.

If you fake an attack you still have to complete it you cant just cancel any motion in real life.
    Again, showing your ignorance. Just stop. Source: I'm a tournament winning champion in numerous sword/stick hitting sports. You know nothing about actual fighting.

In combat you make a decision and should have to deal with any consequences if you made the wrong one
    Reactionary combat > predictive combat. basically always. Predictions are only good for coming up with an initial plan. Once you actually start executing, reactionary is what takes over.

if you miss the target then you deserve to take some extra dmg.
    So... counterstriking deserves to be superior, then. Got it. Sounds boring AF. Just is around and wait for someone to throw the first attack and then deck them.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2021-07-29 at 03:53 PM.

Spoken like someone who has never actually fought with large weapons. You can just... stop swinging. Period. No melee weapon alive that is actually effective "locks" you into your decision IRL, again, until about the last third when it's way out in front of you about to hit your target. In addition, you can just move your body even IF something were to happen to have that much fucking momentum.

Again, showing your ignorance. Just stop. Source: I'm a tournament winning champion in numerous sword/stick hitting sports. You know nothing about actual fighting.

Reactionary combat > predictive combat. basically always. Predictions are only good for coming up with an initial plan. Once you actually start executing, reactionary is what takes over.

So... counterstriking deserves to be superior, then. Got it. Sounds boring AF. Just is around and wait for someone to throw the first attack and then deck them.
    Stop talking BS, you swing a heavy weapon like a 2h axe or hammer you are not able to cancel that motion without a great deal of strength as best you could do is change the direction slightly, cant just simply ignore basic physics, even light weapons when you apply force you cant cancel the motion completely so animation cancelling is a terrible and stupid concept. Combat in a game is never going to be perfect but it works in NW and is not clunky at all.

In New World you will learn the how enemies fight and if you can get away with a few attacks or if you should block/dodge, most mobs you wont really care about taking a few hits,

Stop talking BS, you swing a heavy weapon like a 2h axe or hammer you are not able to cancel that motion without a great deal of strength as best you could do is change the direction slightly, cant just simply ignore basic physics
    You seem to constantly be missing my entire "until the last third" part, but please. Continue being ignorant. Also, IRL attacks don't take like 3 seconds to "charge up" or whatever, so you're already off-base by comparing to this game. They're intentionally slowing it down to give bad players (especially ones with slow reaction times) opportunities for counter play. Git gud. Speed up animations, and make players have to learn to react.

Animation canceling usually turns clunky games into not-as-clunky games.
    Unless the developers don't want to design combat around animation canceling (which can lower the skill floor/raise the skill ceiling in ways they may not want), not really. There are plenty of solid action combat games that don't require players to abuse animation canceling.

That's literally the point of animation locks in an action combat game, everything has an opportunity cost. Do you use your big, long animation attack that hits hard? Or do you use a weaker one that moves you to the other side of the monster because you're anticipating a big frontal swing? It's all about opportunity costs, and being able to freely/easily/casually cancel those animations (even triggering a cooldown as a result) can dilute that and make trying to balance the risk/reward of combat challenging.

Practically, no way to get out of committed action is down to models being locked into animation without any break points built in. Practically lazy shit out of a trillion dollar company.

I find it funny how the guy here talks about realism in a game where Great Axe and Hammer are 3 times the humanly possible size hit opponents for no actual physical effect and people in full heavy armor run as fast as people in light garb.

Realism excuse would fly if it was actually a consistent thing across the board, but when the whole game is hilariously arcade left click spam with often anime sized weapons suddenly invoking realism in that one thing is kind of funny.
    All my ignores are permanently filtered out and invisible to me. Responding to my posts with nonsense or insults is pointless, you're likely already invisible and if not - 3 clicks away. One ignore is much better than 3 pages of trolling.