Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I fucking wish it was For Honor MMO. That game is essentially a fighting game, the combat in New World isn't even to Oblivion or Valheim standards.
    Well, its the most recent game of "similar" combat, so kinda works to describe it to someone :P

And yes, everything in the game is bland if you are slightly more experienced and "skillful" as a gamer.

Again, the MMO world is starved for games, so its gonna be popular for a month, until people realize there isnt anything special about it, like with every MMO out there that came out the last 10 years, and its gonna be another candidate to game hop if Amazon doesnt abandon it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did not like it the very very little I played it.

I do think that if they pull faction, company and large scale PvP balance and performance right, it can gain a decent niche like Eve has.

I don't see it as anything more than that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Again, the MMO world is starved for games, so its gonna be popular for a month, until people realize there isnt anything special about it, like with every MMO out there that came out the last 10 years, and its gonna be another candidate to game hop if Amazon doesnt abandon it.
    This is what i'm afraid of. At least it's a small investment (39.99) to see if it turns out any good in its live form.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyvax View Post
    This is what i'm afraid of. At least it's a small investment (39.99) to see if it turns out any good in its live form.
    I payed the $40 to get access to the Beta. It was worth the price of entry and I'm looking forward to the launch, it's definitively good enough to keep me occupied for a while. It's never going to replace my other MMO's but it doesn't have to. If it keeps me occupied and entertained for a few weeks after launch, and sporadically after that, it's worth the money.

It's nothing super ground breaking, but what it DOES to is pretty fun and entertaining (at least in PvE), for me. I'm not a PvP'er, so won't comment on that aside from there apparently being several pain points (animation delays and weapon balancing mainly).

I wouldn't be opposed to them delaying 6 months and getting some devs who have experience with this style combat and systems into the team and adjust a lot of it.
    Delaying won't make bland game into interesting one. Content can.

The thing is. I really don't know why people keep preaching about it.

What I would do in Amazon shoes:

1. Fix all the bugs they can.
    2. Start working on new content patches asap and ideally release it in 3-6 months after release (the sooner the better)
    3. Fix less relevant bugs as time goes.

Content is king. People would forgive bugged games as long as they are fun (and as long as they are not terribly broken -> see witcher 3).

And while I don't personally like combat, I think (from recent beta) that it's in acceptable state for more casual people
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Delaying won't make bland game into interesting one. Content can.

The thing is. I really don't know why people keep preaching about it.

What I would do in Amazon shoes:

1. Fix all the bugs they can.
    2. Start working on new content patches asap and ideally release it in 3-6 months after release (the sooner the better)
    3. Fix less relevant bugs as time goes.

Content is king. People would forgive bugged games as long as they are fun (and as long as they are not terribly broken -> see witcher 3).

And while I don't personally like combat, I think (from recent beta) that it's in acceptable state for more casual people
    I disagree, I think the main way you interact with the game is most important. If the game is fun to play and engaging people will invent their own content or just keep playing what’s available. Kind of like a Destiny1/2 effect. That game has next to zero content, but the gameplay is solid and killing things is fun, so people do the same shit over and over again.

I think people will chop trees for 100s of hours, just as long as when an enemy walks up to them it isn’t the exact same scripted fight where they are pressing the same 2 buttons at the same time.

That’s going to be pretty brutal to deal with. I think a slightly easier fix is after level 20 most weapon drops have modifiers that change one of their main skill. This makes loot way more interesting and will give later game a nice kick in the variables

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ailer-released

Eyyyy, open beta Sept 9-12.

Glad they're doing that, been wanting to give it a spin and wasn't able to snag a beta key previously.

I disagree, I think the main way you interact with the game is most important. If the game is fun to play and engaging people will invent their own content or just keep playing what’s available. Kind of like a Destiny1/2 effect. That game has next to zero content, but the gameplay is solid and killing things is fun, so people do the same shit over and over again.

I think people will chop trees for 100s of hours, just as long as when an enemy walks up to them it isn’t the exact same scripted fight where they are pressing the same 2 buttons at the same time.

That’s going to be pretty brutal to deal with. I think a slightly easier fix is after level 20 most weapon drops have modifiers that change one of their main skill. This makes loot way more interesting and will give later game a nice kick in the variables
    This has never worked in the past. First of all delaying is setting yourself up for 2 failures: 1. people forgetting about it, 2. never reaching the golden point.

You are also probably overestimating Destiny. Interaction with game is only important if you have a goal. The moment you lose it its over.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

10+ Year Old Account

Runescape says Hi!

And in all honesty it takes a lot of the skill up appeal from Runescape what will get people hooked.

As for the game i think the most correct criticism i have seen is that it lacks enough challenging content right now in addition to moving from one point to another can be a rather long and boring time sink, which is something i see them being their monetization around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ailer-released

Eyyyy, open beta Sept 9-12.

Glad they're doing that, been wanting to give it a spin and wasn't able to snag a beta key previously.
    Wonder how well the servers hold up this time around especially with an open test.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    This has never worked in the past. First of all delaying is setting yourself up for 2 failures: 1. people forgetting about it, 2. never reaching the golden point.

You are also probably overestimating Destiny. Interaction with game is only important if you have a goal. The moment you lose it its over.
    You are right, delaying rarely works out. That's usually because the dev is so far down one path changing directions is basically impossible. I think New World is slightly different because combat is so barebones that they wouldn't really be changing direction but actually just having some kind of direction.

I think Destiny is pretty apt, as it goes for end game, there isn't much of one other than just doing the same old shit over and over. But the FPS side of the house is pretty solid, better than most FPS out, so the game saw pretty continual population just for the pure interaction of it. Doesn't hurt there is decent gear drop system which further alters combat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Runescape says Hi!

And in all honesty it takes a lot of the skill up appeal from Runescape what will get people hooked.

As for the game i think the most correct criticism i have seen is that it lacks enough challenging content right now in addition to moving from one point to another can be a rather long and boring time sink, which is something i see them being their monetization around.

Ohh it will definitely bring the crackhead out of people. I think making a runescape comparison might be a little dangerous as it's a F2P game and can get away with being simple. It's also a bit of a gacci game in that respect, New World is a whole other beast.

PS: I don't want to seem like I'm down on the game, I'm actually pretty excited for it as a lot of what I saw is kind of up my alley. I just think the combat is super barebones, when simpler games like Valheim can essentially nail combat but this giant game is struggling with it... It makes me feel they actually don't care about that aspect of the game. But class/combat is the reason I stop playing most MMOs and the reason I stopped playing WoW, simple combat with no nuance and stripped out classes just won't hold people's attention. This is a different type of game, but there are multiple examples of combat done well in this niche and this game simply isn't ticking any of the right boxes on that front.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2021-08-26 at 02:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Ohh it will definitely bring the crackhead out of people. I think making a runescape comparison might be a little dangerous as it's a F2P game and can get away with being simple. It's also a bit of a gacci game in that respect, New World is a whole other beast.

PS: I don't want to seem like I'm down on the game, I'm actually pretty excited for it as a lot of what I saw is kind of up my alley. I just think the combat is super barebones, when simpler games like Valheim can essentially nail combat but this giant game is struggling with it... It makes me feel they actually don't care about that aspect of the game. But class/combat is the reason I stop playing most MMOs and the reason I stopped playing WoW, simple combat with no nuance and stripped out classes just won't hold people's attention. This is a different type of game, but there are multiple examples of combat done well in this niche and this game simply isn't ticking any of the right boxes on that front.
    Oh no i do not think you are negative on the game at all, will have to see how they build on it. I think it is an ambitious project and them changing their game direction around priorities have been put elsewhere going from sandbox PvP to a PvE game is no small switch, i do not think we can expect real diverse skill sets and utility setups here not that kind of game really, looks like aiming and movement are more of a focus for them.
    I only played it briefly and i found it fun however i cannot really say that if i played it for over 20 hours and ended up doing the same combo of skills i would not share your sentiment, perhaps mob attack patterns change enough to keep you engaged? Guess time will tell.

As for Runescape i think it is an overlooked MMO really however i have to agree that despite the addictive part of the skill levelling what i can testify to as when i quit over 16 years ago i had a skill level of 1900, i do not fully agree with the Gacha or Gacci? comparison but i can fully see it now with all the store items that were added over the years, i still plan to go back to quest in that game as a trip down memory lane.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

You are right, delaying rarely works out. That's usually because the dev is so far down one path changing directions is basically impossible. I think New World is slightly different because combat is so barebones that they wouldn't really be changing direction but actually just having some kind of direction.

I think Destiny is pretty apt, as it goes for end game, there isn't much of one other than just doing the same old shit over and over. But the FPS side of the house is pretty solid, better than most FPS out, so the game saw pretty continual population just for the pure interaction of it. Doesn't hurt there is decent gear drop system which further alters combat.

Not really because of that. People are simply impatient. Delaying after delaying means possible vaporware, hype dies down, initial sales goes down, less money for future development and whole momentum gets throttled.

What you are talking about are actually exceptions like duke nukem or star citizen.

Average user don't care about polish that much. They simply want fun stuff to do. That purely means content. And New world isn't in same genre as minecraft where mechanics are what makes the game - the game.

Good example of what I am talking about is PoE. This game started simple but evolved so much simply because of content pumping each 3 months. Bugs and issues present each league, some are even really nasty, still grows.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

The biggest problem with games now-a-days is trying to build the hype train way too early IMO. Teaser is fine. Betas are fine. Trying to keep consistent hype for your game from alpha phase to release across like 4-5 years is a fucking fool's errand. Yes, people will lose interest over that much time and you'll probably lose sales.

Lets say that, without any other involvement or motivation besides just seeing one advertisement, a person would get hyped and then lose interest in 6 months (how long it actually is doesn't matter). IMO, that just means you shouldn't start advertising your shit till you get 6 months from delivery.

Another downside to the digital era is that it used to be 6 months from release meant the game itself was actually done, they were just physically making the game boxes, CDs, whatever. With instant digital releases, developers essentially work up to the day of their release and have to scramble if/when shit goes poorly on launch day.

Does this game have only TWO dungeons? Or am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Does this game have only TWO dungeons? Or am I wrong?
    Wrong. There are like 6 or 7 iirc. And someone datamined another new Desert zone and with 3 more planned for after launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Wrong. There are like 6 or 7 iirc. And someone datamined another new Desert zone and with 3 more planned for after launch.
    That's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    A better question is: are they all 2-boss mini instances? Or is there anything a bit more epic? I am also assuming that no raids are included or planed for the near future, since I heard nothing about them.

From what I understand New World is a pvp mmo that last minute pivoted to include more PvE because someone in upper management finally got the message that launching a pure PvP MMO is a death sentence.

In a situation like that I would never recommend playing said MMO just for the PvE without letting other people experience how shallow it is and then making a decision.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Well, if compare New World with WoW, I think the combat styles between the games are very different. It’s hard to say, with absolution, which one is better or worse. It comes down to personal preference. If you are a player who prefers tab-targeting, then World of Warcraft is your game. If you don’t like tab-targeting, then choose New World.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2021-11-09 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    From what I understand New World is a pvp mmo that last minute pivoted to include more PvE because someone in upper management finally got the message that launching a pure PvP MMO is a death sentence.

In a situation like that I would never recommend playing said MMO just for the PvE without letting other people experience how shallow it is and then making a decision.
    I think a pure PvP mmo can work, but it needs a very clear gameplay structure, istanced pvp areas, ladders and a reward progression. It cannot simply be open world zerging and objectives like New World is, because see that's already happening - on specific servers people will flock to the most populous faction, gain control of the entire world and basically make so world pvp is basically a non issue anymore.

I really don't get why they went with this kind of idea since it's pretty clear it never really worked in the past and they didn't implement anything to make it work. I dig the weapon talent trees and classless design though.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.