1. #1201
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That is ignoring PVP. PVP is directly engaging in a battle with another player(s). It is not mandatory to do so.
    "I'm just getting shot at by this gunman, but I'm ignoring it! I'm obviously NOT in a gun fight! Especially if I'm just running away!"

  2. #1202
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Firstly, "being affected by PVP" is different than PVP being mandatory. Also, who is changing the way they play; how?

    What is forcing you to press the attack button?

    I don't even know what you mean by changing the way you play, frankly. That seems so broad as to apply to anything.
    That is pure nonsense. With that logic League of legends PvP is completely optional since you can just fight mobs and never fight back players.
    Actually ANY game ever released has optional PvP since you can just never shoot/fight back
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

    NextUI for XIV


  3. #1203
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    [SNIP]
    So to you, attacking someone is the only thing that makes it PvP?

    Agree to disagree I guess, but I honestly can't wrap my head around your viewpoint, it's bonkers to me.

    And as @kaminaris said, this would make literally any game with PvP as a major component mean that it's "optional" per your definition, because if you simply choose not to attack you're not participating, which is ludicrous.

  4. #1204
    Scarab Lord Maljinwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    4,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Thanks, I was worried that'd be the case. That's kinda frustrating, guess I'll just keep waiting on this one until it goes on sale or I can't wait any more. Kinda a bummer, but I think I get what they were going for with that design decision.
    I wouldn't mind it if Fast Travel was cheaper honestly
    Or if they give us mounts
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

  5. #1205
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    I wouldn't mind it if Fast Travel was cheaper honestly
    Or if they give us mounts
    Fast Travel is much cheaper if your faction controls that specific territory... looks like they really want to promote faction wars which is not a bad thing at all

    I also have no doubt they will introduce mounts at some point, after most of the people have explored all the territories.
    Initially I was a bit put off by the no-mounts but it does add to the immersion and also scales down rushing through content.

    A lot of people won't like it because the rush to max level is a thing but I personally can't wait for the launch! I can't remember the last time I was so excited about a game... at least 10 years have passed.
    “There is no right or wrong, only consequences.”
    -------------------------------------------------

  6. #1206
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    That is pure nonsense. With that logic League of legends PvP is completely optional since you can just fight mobs and never fight back players.
    Actually ANY game ever released has optional PvP since you can just never shoot/fight back
    That's largely correct.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    So to you, attacking someone is the only thing that makes it PvP?
    Engaging with other players is what is PVP is- Player vs. Player.
    "It's a big club. And you ain't in it. It is also the club they use to beat you with." - George Carlin

  7. #1207
    Scarab Lord Maljinwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    4,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
    Fast Travel is much cheaper if your faction controls that specific territory... looks like they really want to promote faction wars which is not a bad thing at all

    I also have no doubt they will introduce mounts at some point, after most of the people have explored all the territories.
    I hope the dominant faction doesn't steamroll everything.

    When I Played the beta I joined the Syndicate and they already had 3 territories. The other factions were nowhere to be seen
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

  8. #1208
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That's largely correct.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Engaging with other players is what is PVP is- Player vs. Player.
    After reading a couple of pages of this thread, I must ask: are you a troll? Or maybe you got some sort of cognitive issues?

    Which part of "X will randomly engage with me and if I don't like it I can just die" screams 'optional' content? It's like stretching the concept to the extreme boundary of what would be used by anyone sane and calling it a technical win.

    It has some parallels to saying that violence is optional in the real world while there are pacifists who never threw a punch getting killed. If there are big enough consequences for something regardless of your choices, it is not optional unless you stretch the meaning of 'optional' in such a way that everything in the universe is optional.
    Last edited by Dudenoso; 2021-09-24 at 06:31 PM.

  9. #1209
    seems they done goofed the release already =/

    as EU getting a morning launch and character names are global for some moronic reason.
    so while european players are in school/working americans and other regions are going to jump on EU servers to claim names. like i'd love to know the thought process behind this.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

  10. #1210
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    seems they done goofed the release already =/

    as EU getting a morning launch and character names are global for some moronic reason.
    so while european players are in school/working americans and other regions are going to jump on EU servers to claim names. like i'd love to know the thought process behind this.
    I was thinking the same thing about here in the states.
    Going to have to jump on as soon as I can to get a name during the day.
    I think it's like 11 am here? I'll have to look again.

  11. #1211
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    I was thinking the same thing about here in the states.
    Going to have to jump on as soon as I can to get a name during the day.
    I think it's like 11 am here? I'll have to look again.
    11 pm i think. we don't have that 12 hour format where i live so not entirely sure.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

  12. #1212
    Got this email:

    Good news!
    At 8:00 AM PDT Monday, September 27th, New World will be made available for download.
    Your credit card will be billed for your pre-order at that time, and a Steam key will be delivered to you via email.
    New World servers will open for play on Tuesday, September 28th.
    Thank you for your order, and we can't wait to see you in Aeternum.

    Plus found this:
    The New World release time for each region is as follows:
    8am PDT for US West / 8am EDT for US East / 8am CEST for EU / 8am BRT for South America / 9pm AEST for Australia.

  13. #1213
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudenoso View Post
    After reading a couple of pages of this thread, I must ask: are you a troll? Or maybe you got some sort of cognitive issues?

    Which part of "X will randomly engage with me and if I don't like it I can just die" screams 'optional' content? It's like stretching the concept to the extreme boundary of what would be used by anyone sane and calling it a technical win.

    It has some parallels to saying that violence is optional in the real world while there are pacifists who never threw a punch getting killed. If there are big enough consequences for something regardless of your choices, it is not optional unless you stretch the meaning of 'optional' in such a way that everything in the universe is optional.
    I am aware it is an unpopular position, but I am of the opinion game audiences, in general, are not sophisticated in their thinking about game mechanics.

    PVP existing; even being emphasized is not a mandatory game mechanism. It's very likely not the way most play the game, naturally and undoubtedly. Let's be realistic. That was not my position.

    If talking about game mechanisms; then those mechanisms can only operate in one way. Their operation is the only thing we are talking about. 'When I press this button, this happens', et cetera. It's an absolute. How we feel about pressing that button is a separate and entirely different matter.

    Every time games are not talked about in this manner is a mistake.
    "It's a big club. And you ain't in it. It is also the club they use to beat you with." - George Carlin

  14. #1214
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That's largely correct.
    That's ridiculous.

    Engaging with other players is what is PVP is- Player vs. Player.
    So someone engaging with you in PvP, but you not attacking them, and you just heal yourself or run away, or choosing to just die rather than fight back.....means you're not in PvP?

    You and I have VERY different definitions of what constitutes PvP.

  15. #1215
    I was trying to refrain but lol
    It's a weird claim.
    Also a bit insulting to say we aren't as sophisticated with mechanics as you so we don't get it.
    When everyone here and even the developers have stated otherwise.
    50v50 war battles also say hi.
    The game was clearly modeled around pvp interactions, whether you want to rewrite what that is or not.
    You can't just break it down to some philosophical expression about what button pressing means to you and why something isn't inherently pvp.

  16. #1216
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    That's ridiculous.
    It is true. I knew a guy who played League of Legends for years only with bots. He never played a PVP game of League. I showed him how to jungle with Udyr and he enjoyed creating games with bots farming the jungle and pushing towers. I supposed he played it akin to a strategy game.

    League of Legends is a game we can fairly say is heavily predicated on PVP. Yet he never engaged with any PVP. For years. He still hasn't.

    A game mechanism existing or even being strongly emphasized does not mean it is inherently mandatory. If you are not engaging other players in combat, how are you engaging in PVP?

    What is the effective difference in a bot, timberwolf NPC or player engaging you if you as the player have the same reaction or course? There is none.

    If that player had not jumped me in the woods as I was describing earlier but instead a PVE mob; I would have had the exact same response to the higher-level zombies in the area. There was no effective difference. I did not engage or was forced to battle another player.

    New World is (or was) a heavily PVP-centric game. I specifically said there was no way in the early alphas to toggle it off as was in the variant the public got to play. I was there for it all. But there was not a system in the game that was compulsory to PVP in till much later (when they added the forts and so on).

    It's bad thinking and discussing of video game design to attribute gameplay wrongly. I think this is a wrong conception of game design being used here by saying PVP was (is) mandatory.

    So someone engaging with you in PvP, but you not attacking them, and you just heal yourself or run away, or choosing to just die rather than fight back.....means you're not in PvP?

    You and I have VERY different definitions of what constitutes PvP.
    Correct, and it seems so.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-09-25 at 01:20 AM.
    "It's a big club. And you ain't in it. It is also the club they use to beat you with." - George Carlin

  17. #1217
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It is true. I knew a guy who played League of Legends for years only with bots. He never played a PVP game of League. I showed him how to jungle with Udyr and he enjoyed creating games with bots farming the jungle and pushing towers. I supposed he played it akin to a strategy game.
    No that is not what you meant. You meant that LoL with full blown PvP matches while completely ignoring human opponents is according to you "optional" pvp.

    Unfortunately that is not opinion, its called simply: being wrong.

    Its on the level of mental gymnastics of:
    breathing is optional.
    eating is optional
    drinking is optional

    Yes, but you will die. So it's not sane constraints.

    Poisonous mushrooms are edible - yes but only once.

    So in terms of normal constraints New worlds was MANDATORY pvp mmo. Whatever you like it or not.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

    NextUI for XIV


  18. #1218
    Folks, we're getting off topic here. Let's keep discussion productive and on-topic please.

  19. #1219
    I purposely haven't played much as I want to keep the experience fresh for launch, but having all the crafting skills available really messes with me. Do people focus on their chosen crafts or do you level them all?

    So much choice. I am overwhelmed.

  20. #1220
    Herald of the Titans Proskill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    2,639
    Why syndicate???? Heard its got 'the best gear', whatever that means, but the looks of it suck as theres no transmog in this game. Marauders really look like the only one appealing to me, like a conquistador instead of some fucking van hellsing witch hunter or plague doctor

    Sell me on syndicate or change my mind with the marauders, cuz i know choosing THE RIGHT faction in this game will be CRUCIAL
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •