I gave up on Valhalla.
    Found one without a q and all is well.

Have fun ladies.
    Or don't.
    I'm not your mom.

Played 16 hours on the first day without any hickups or disconnects.

Couple of friends had queue problems, that was indeed an issue. But nothing new in terms of MMO launches.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

If this was some small company I could easily forgive launch problems and wait 2-3 days for them to get servers settled.

But this is Amazon... I mean, come on.

Anyways, I did get through, killed a few undead pirates, skinned a boar, and chopped down a tree.
    Last edited by pahbi; 2021-09-28 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    If this was some small company I could easily forgive launch problems and wait 2-3 days for them to get servers settled.
    This literally happens with every major MMO at launch, and usually far worse with actual server instability and authentication/login server issues etc.

The only way to avoid queues is to either not limit server capacities which...would just crash servers, or throw hundreds and hundreds of servers out at launch to handle the initial rush and the spin down 80% a few weeks later when folks have quit or aren't trying to log in at the same time so populations are more spread out. Which is stupidly expensive and annoys folks who quickly lose their servers.

Because just opening tons of servers is what SWTOR did to handle their launch rush, spinning up damn near 100 new servers within a week or two of launch...only to fairly quickly spin the majority of them back down and have multiple rounds of expensive and annoying server mergers in the subsequent weeks/months.

Haven't gone this hard in a mmo in a long time. I just threw down some serious playtime in NW. It's been ages since I did something like that but I knew where everything was basically. The gang and I steamrolled through the place.

- - - Updated - - -

But this is Amazon... I mean, come on.
    This is stupid. Amazon isn't immune to the launch day rush anymore than other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Haven't gone this hard in a mmo in a long time. I just threw down some serious playtime in NW. It's been ages since I did something like that but I knew where everything was basically. The gang and I steamrolled through the place.

- - - Updated - - -

This is stupid. Amazon isn't immune to the launch day rush anymore than other games.
    Pffft they have more money than god to throw at a problem...

I only played for about an hour, I'll definitely put some time in tomorrow. There's no doubt in 2-3 days this will be just another rough launch story...

But why WOULD they?

People don't understand, these are not problems that don't have solutions - they're problems where the solutions scale up in cost, so you have to decide how much you want to spend on it vs. how much you think you'll lose if you don't. That's why Blizzard had so many fraught launches - they were banking on their name and reputation to the point where they thought people would forgive a bad launch, and whatever money they lose would still be less than they'd have to spend to make it a smoother launch. With Amazon, of course that equation is different; but even there, despite the deep pockets, it's not a simple case of "let's just spend any amount it takes". That's just bad business practice.

I been catching people say it will not last long, but for me I guess it really depends on how fun the PVP is. I know GW2 kept me enthralled for quite a bit of time just due to PVP. WvW to be specific. This shouldn't be a surprise to most people because your thrown into different situations every single time and that can make for a lot of fun. I haven't tested this game out yet tho, so I don't know if the PVP is any good.

They don't. And no one else would throw money at it either.

All transitory issues are ignorable.

This game is crack... even with the combat, I just want to farm and craft... Got home from the gym at 2p, it's now 9p... been playing the whole time. I don't think I've done that in years. I just forced myself to get off.

I don't think it's going to be everyone's cup of tea, but for the people like me that are looking for that immersive world to get lost in, yeah I think Amazon has a winner on their hands here.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    This game is crack... even with the combat, I just want to farm and craft... Got home from the gym at 2p, it's now 9p... been playing the whole time. I don't think I've done that in years. I just forced myself to get off.
    Yea, there is something about the game that is very compelling despite the rather average.. well, everything except setting. It is satisfying as hell though.

We started playing a little after dinner and 4 hours flew by.

Yea, there is something about the game that is very compelling despite the rather average.. well, everything except setting. It is satisfying as hell though.

We started playing a little after dinner and 4 hours flew by.
    Also think it should be said, but this is by far the best game launch and easily the best mmo launch I've seen ever.

Sure there are wait times, but I didn't see any server instability or lag at all in the 7 hours I was on.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Also think it should be said, but this is by far the best game launch and easily the best mmo launch I've seen ever.

Sure there are wait times, but I didn't see any server instability or lag at all in the 7 hours I was on.
    Yea, same. The game was smooth the whole time. Only thing was the queue window/line was displaying nonsense if you swapped from US West to US East and back. But nothing in the game was off.

Can't get in again.
    Said 49th in q earlier.
    Waited like 2 hours for that to sit at 1st forever until it finally dc'd me.
    Waiting again at 38th.
    Left Valhalla and found new server this morning to no avail.
    At this rate, maybe in 2 hours again I'll get in.
    The message telling me they opened 28 new worlds for US East doesn't help.
    Going to make cupcakes and watch Antman!
    Get out of my q before I get back plz thnx.

They don't. And no one else would throw money at it either.

All transitory issues are ignorable.
    Isn't it amusing, people who have no idea how the world works, thinking things like this? ~$100 billion company can throw money around like nothing.

I cringe to know what these people's financial situations look like with this logic.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Isn't it amusing, people who have no idea how the world works, thinking things like this? ~$100 billion company can throw money around like nothing.

I cringe to know what these people's financial situations look like with this logic.
    It’s kind of amusing you belittle other people while saying Amazon is worth 100 billion.

Try 1.7 trillion.

You were close though?

People have a difficult time mentally envisioning how much a trillion really is.

Here let me help.

1 million seconds = 11.5 days

1 billion seconds = 32 YEARS

1 trillion seconds = 32 THOUSAND YEARS

Quote Originally Posted by Gurkan View Post
    You'd think that Amazon of all companies would have higher server-capacity for their MMO.
    Also apparently they're missing SEA and Australian servers?
    i'm guessing you don't keep up with current affairs, but there's a CATESTROPHIC GLOBAL SILICON SHORTAGE right now that's only getting worse as chip manufacturers are working at capacity and cannot produce any more chips than they already are, not to mention the sheer amount of shut downs and outages due to power issues in china and other issues affecting TSMC, literally nobody can get server hardware right now, doesn't matter if amazon put up a blank cheque they ain't getting shit, really wish people would stop bitching about server capacity issues in light of current world events and be thankful they have any kind of server capacity to host the game to begin with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post

as stated above your 'estimate' on the companies value is comically off, and they could quite literally say to any chip manufacturer 'here's $50 billion make me some hardware' and they wouldn't get it because all chip makers are working at capacity and will continue to be stuck that way for months potentially years to come until the new fabs being built are up and running somewhere between 3-5 years from now, so to your point, while it's not a sound business decision, amazon if they felt like it could quite literally buy out any and all competition with the resources at their disposal and not need to worry about the balance sheet too much.

retired march 2013 RIP - returned january 2016, purely because paladins finally get Ashbringer!

The queue times are completely atrocious (and honestly, in the age of preorders kind of inexcusable) but the game is super, super fun. I unfortunately got fucked by a power outage but we all transferred to a lower pop server and are having a blast

Finally got in after like a 3 hour queue...I think some kinda streamer joined my server or something, because chat was instantly cancer in a way it sure wasn't earlier today.

Lame, was hoping to avoid that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokrath View Post
    I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an MMO launched by one of the biggest corporations in the world to mostly work from day one.
    This isn't 2004 WoW where we had no idea how big a launch was going to be. They have data, preorders, etc... to predict this shit.
    A mega-corp founded by a now trillionaire should be held to a higher standard than something that released 17 years ago.
    WoW still has issues every single expansion launch so what the hell are you talking about holding NW to a higher standard, no matter how a company prepares a large launch never goes completely smoothly, the only real issue is just needing more servers since the game plays good and only lag issues when something is actually wrong with the server.

New Worlds launch is still much smoother than any WoW expansion.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-09-29 at 04:29 AM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen