Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    WoW classic had servers with queues of upwards of 3 hours at launch, this isn't really that uncommon.

They are adding more servers, just not mountains of them. It just means that folks will need to reroll there (since transferring characters with stuff from existing servers would give them an unfair edge).

Why is it bad?

1. It costs money and time to spin them up.
    2. Many will be ghost towns in a matter of months, which can and will cause more people to quit before they're merged.
    3. Server merges will be VERY chaotic with how central the player driven economy is, and nobody is gonna be happy when that's thrown into chaos with a merger. Also tilts the balance of factions and territory control, which ideally should stay fairly stable within a server (not as in never changing, but that it will change naturally without outside influence).
    4. Server merges take time and money as well.

There are more, but as I keep repeating we've seen devs panick and do this before, and I'll once again point to SWTOR as an example of why it's a bad idea to a very temporary problem. Opened hundreds of servers, most ended up ghost towns fairly quickly, had multiple huge rounds of server merges which pissed everyone off because they lost names (thankfully not an issue for New World) and communities were broken up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopsnacker View Post
    Don't even try to tell them this. We had the same shit with WoW Classic and massive dead server pretty fast then. New World will have the same problems.
    They simply don't get it.
    Yes merging servers aint perfect like you said, but since they have already set everything up for merging servers they are obviously prepared for it and it will happen anyway. As it is now there have been so many people who haven't even been able to play for a whole day because they get disconnected in the queues and have to start over.

I'm not saying that you can just throw more servers and everything will be perfect, but i think you guys are really downplaying what a big issue this is atm. Also there should have been progress made server wise (especially from a company like Amazon) and not be the same issues like it was 15 years ago.

Just sitting back and accepting things for what they are is just as bad. I prefer for them to get critisism for people not being able to play and maybe there will be some progress made on technical side on servers so things will get better over time if nothing else.

Except, again as repeatedly pointed out, with the player-driven economy being fairly central, that's not exactly a great solution due to the chaos it will throw the economy and territory control into.

You're thinking 5 minutes into the future. Amazon can't only think 5 minutes into the future, they have to be thinking weeks/months/years into the future. As I stated, Amazon is looking to the horizon while folks right now complaining about queues and demanding they open hundreds of new servers are looking at their feet.
    There is no economy on dead servers. The 5 people who are affected will welcome the change.

Except, again as repeatedly pointed out, with the player-driven economy being fairly central, that's not exactly a great solution due to the chaos it will throw the economy and territory control into.

You're thinking 5 minutes into the future. Amazon can't only think 5 minutes into the future, they have to be thinking weeks/months/years into the future. As I stated, Amazon is looking to the horizon while folks right now complaining about queues and demanding they open hundreds of new servers are looking at their feet.
    I'm also pretty sure a lot of people disagree with you which one of those are the bigegst problem. A lot of people who can't even get online also affects the economy. What's to say this is the right way to do things? Atleast more people would get to play with more servers for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Cren View Post
    Yes merging servers aint perfect like you said, but since they have already set everything up for merging servers they are obviously prepared for it and it will happen anyway.
    Yeah, it's a practical reality of MMO launches. But that doesn't mean they should throw caution to the wind, either. The goal is to limit the need for server merges as much as possible, since those take time and are massive headaches for all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Cren View Post
    I'm not saying that you can just throw more servers and everything will be perfect, but i think you guys are really downplaying what a big issue this is atm. Also there should have been progress made server wise (especially from a company like Amazon) and not be the same issues like it was 15 years ago.
    Are there different setups that could accommodate more players? Sure, WoW uses a lot of that tech and it works damned well. But it would conflict with almost all the core design of the game, with server-based factional territory battles and server-based economies. WoW doesn't have those kind of server-oriented designs so functionally putting bunches of servers together doesn't compromise anything for them.

Just because the tech exists doesn't mean it makes sense to use all the time. So we're left with the simple practical realities of online games/services being HAMMERED at launch and having issues (queues, crashes, lag etc.) which is still fairly common since like, there are simply limitations on a lot of hardware/software and you can't bypass them.

Honestly, I'm downplaying it because I think it's largely a tempest in a teacup, as it's been for every other MMO at launch.

Wow's launch in 2004 isn't a good comparison. That was over 16 years ago and a lot of changed since. Also, this is Amazon. They have resources plus if they are spinning up new servers that fast, they thought ahead. Now, I'm not saying they should lose money for the initial rush but let's be honest and admit that they can and cheaply.

In reality, this is one of the best large MMO launches in a long while.

Being salty because there are wait times in the first days is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post

20,000 queues for a 2000 server? Bruh.

Quote Originally Posted by meckeard View Post
    Wow's launch in 2004 isn't a good comparison.
    Nobody is comparing it to that, we're comparing it to the more recent WoW classic launch.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post

less than half of the players can actually play. this launch is by far the worst ive ever seen from wow and ffxiv, including all expacs, even rift launched better.

Nobody is comparing it to that, we're comparing it to the more recent WoW classic launch.
    There are references to wow's launch, hence my comment. That aside, I still don't worry much about any comparison as these companies are not the same. The games are not the same. Tech is not the same.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not taking either side here as I have not played the game but do think the queue times are too high and should be addressed. Thankfully I'm not the one dealing with that.

I see pages upon pages of talks on the servers/queue topic; how's the gameplay, lag, dungeons, crafting, bugs, pvp, trading, etc?
    The few that played, are you happy with the investment (price -value)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    So far, yes. It's very pretty, runs well, and slowly walking through the forest cutting down trees, mining ore, and picking flowers is fun. Combat's not bad either, and I still dig the setting. Shooting things in the face with a musket is kinda cool.

The general consensus among my group is that it needed more time in the oven. The combat is serviceable but not really a highlight. The servers seem stable once you can get in. A lot of pretty standard MMO systems are in place but I don't feel like there is going to be much to do after the first few weeks/first month. I think it's going to have a successful honeymoon phase, riding on the streamer hype, but then slowly start to fade away unless they introduce or at least announce a huge content patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
    In this case, exploration is a big part of content. You gather resources and advance your crafts so you can actually craft very good armours, weapons, jewellery, consumables etc, so you don't have to run dungeons or group content if you don't want to; not to mention that you get XP out of gathering and crafting. By doing this, you can be self-sufficient (because you are not limited to how many crafts you can have), make potentially loads of money at the trading post, buy yourself a nice house, furnish it... etc, if that's what you're into. It's supposed to be a player driven economy but we'll have to wait and see how that turns out.

Also housing is done a bit different than in FF for example. Here you don't have to wait for a house to become available, you only need to have the money to buy it. The player housing is instanced but the nicest house in that particular town will be the one being displayed and everyone can see it.

"The only thing in NW that actually has some value is furniture." - this is your point of view, ofc course.

FFXIV does many things right, I don't think anyone can argue against that but you can't really compare it with NW, they are very different games.

From my POV, if you replace all the characters in FFXIV with western-type ones, rename everything in game to something non-ridiculous like most of it is, it's an amazing game!
    I grew up with a different mentality, in a society where catgirls, bunny-boys and lallafel were/are a definite no-no. But again, that's just me and I'm sure millions of other people, especially the younger generation don't feel the same way... and that's completely fine.
    Except its really not. Vast majority of that is just running straight. The "exploration" in NW is simply super boring.

I also grew in similar environment but other people tastes and opinions have zero influence over me.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

oh and since i'm bored.. why is the loading screen making my pc work harder than the actual game?
    if it's because it has my dumbass character standing there looking like a goofball with some animated background? then fucking remove that shit i do not need it. no one does.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Theangryone View Post
    Fuck my life, leveled to 15 last night only to find out Asmondgold is on my server
    well he made that obscure Boba something server famous now )

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    i enjoyed what i've played but if the plan is to just have players give up before they got a chance to even try it(after having paid for it).. then they're entering scam territory.
    sure the servers run smooth. they only allow 2k people(while an inifinite amount can sign up to join them). and they don't even have enough servers available to house half of their paying customers.
    If the game is only designed for 2K on a map at a time then it is a another case that they should have allowed people/communities to host/rent their own server's.

A bunch of communities would be all over having to option to run 3 - 4 week long 'matches' in this game.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    I see pages upon pages of talks on the servers/queue topic; how's the gameplay, lag, dungeons, crafting, bugs, pvp, trading, etc?
    Oyus.
    Well worth the 40$.
    People spend that all the time on worse games with less longevity.
    Do it.
    Go have fun like the rest of us not interested in bitching on a forum about something we don't like.
    There is no sub too.
    Never listen to critics or me for that matter.
    Take GoT.
    It's absolute garbage.
    GARBAGE.
    That's my take but apparently no one else's.
    Rando people on the web can't tell you what you'll like.
    Try as they might to convince others!

You heard me.
    GoT blows!
    Life is a gamble.
    /roll for fun

my LMB with melee weapons (spear, rapier) stopped working. can block with RMB just fine, can even use LMB with my musket, and use all the skills of the melee weapons. wat do???
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    my LMB with melee weapons (spear, rapier) stopped working. can block with RMB just fine, can even use LMB with my musket, and use all the skills of the melee weapons. wat do???
    Go into your Key Bindings. Melee and Range Combat bindings are separate. Make sure that LMB is still bound for Basic Attacks under Melee Combat and didn't somehow get unbound.