1. #1761
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Meanwhile, I've been watching Sacriel gather 5/6 mobs then AOE'ing them down today lol
    Yes, Sacriel is uing lifestaff combo, which allow you to do that more easily. I run lifestaff/2h mace, I gather 5-6 mobs, beacon them and orb of protection myself, switch to hammer, stun, aoe, dodge. But other playstyle its not as easy. Also, once you get in the lvl 30+, it gets harder, and the endgame zone even more. Thats the point, not saying its the hardest thing ever, but its not also typical mmos where you pull all you can around and aoe them down.

    And as mentionned, elite zones are elite. You need a group, its open world dungeon kind of content, which is amazing.

  2. #1762
    Show me a video of someone gathering 5-6 mobs and AOE them down easily. I want to see where and how they are doing this.

  3. #1763
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    23,735
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    The lvl 1-25 zones most mobs are fairly standard and dont really have attacks that hit hard bar the skeletons, next zone steps up a fair amount more and you will need potions and healing food unless you are really quick at killing or dodging.

    If you want weapon mastery levels get a group together and farm a suitable level elite area like deadmans cove, its great for some decent gear if you are lucky but the main thing is weapon mastery levels, getting more weapon levels helps a ton.
    25+ is also when I started to hate the game. Couldn't do it anymore at 32.It's when combat opens up a bit more with blue equipment and weapons filled out but absence of better travel options and lack of diversity in the quests became too much for my personal tastes.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Show me a video of someone gathering 5-6 mobs and AOE them down easily. I want to see where and how they are doing this.
    I did it in both open and closed beta. Closed beta with the axe (it was OP then). Closed with hammer and ice guard (weird combo but yeah). I've done it solo and in the first dungeon.

    I've done it that north most area (right before the endgame zone) that's all dark. I've done it to the swampy area east of the previous zone, and with mid-level beach/mangrove area on the west side of the map.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  4. #1764
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I did it in both open and closed beta. Closed beta with the axe (it was OP then). Closed with hammer and ice guard (weird combo but yeah). I've done it solo and in the first dungeon.

    I've done it that north most area (right before the endgame zone) that's all dark. I've done it to the swampy area east of the previous zone, and with mid-level beach/mangrove area on the west side of the map.
    I wanna see a video of it in the current game though.

  5. #1765
    This game is the #1 most viewed thing on Twitch right now.

    Fuck, why is an Amazon product doing well, we're supposed to take down The Man!

  6. #1766
    Fluffy Kitten Nerph-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    7,467
    So my friends convinced me to get the game eventually, I barely played in any of the betas because I didn't want to spoil much if I did decide to play, and fuck me I'm actually really enjoying it, and the thing I'm enjoying the most is not knowing what the fuck I'm doing half the time ;D I'm back where I was in 2005 with WoW, being a complete noob and it feels great.
    I believe you have my stapler...

  7. #1767
    Well Edge, was bound to happen after you posted it.
    Saw my first Geoff Besoz.
    Yes he was bald.

    Also, nice Nerph!
    And Trikslyr was rounding them up and killing them too on stream.
    I've done 3 at least as well and I'm 10 levels under him.

  8. #1768
    Oh, yikes, a 2.5/10 user score on Metacritic. Wonder if the critics agree...

  9. #1769
    Scarab Lord Skizzit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ~De Geso!
    Posts
    4,631
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Oh, yikes, a 2.5/10 user score on Metacritic. Wonder if the critics agree...
    Probably cause people got really mad about server queues.

    Edit: just looked it up and that is just user reviews. They obviously got review bombed by people throwing an tantrum over t he queue times. Zero reflection on the actual game. The two critic reviews so far are both 80.
    Last edited by Skizzit; 2021-10-02 at 05:31 AM.

  10. #1770
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    23,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Probably cause people got really mad about server queues.

    Edit: just looked it up and that is just user reviews. They obviously got review bombed by people throwing an tantrum over t he queue times. Zero reflection on the actual game. The two critic reviews so far are both 80.
    Review bombing over the queues is stupid. The internet needs to chill. I can only think of a handful of big MMOs didn't have queues at launch and thats because they used layering/shards/overflows, whatever the devs call it to allivate the problem.

    Amazon isn't inncoent though. Launch was their stress test. Going off their own statements, they really didn't know how many people they could let in at once so they went with a very conservative estimate. They also aren't 100% on how many people their servers can sustain, both resource wise and to promote good gameplay. They said transfers will be free but didn't way for people to transfer their current character. You might have been able to play on Tuesday, leveled up quite a bit but been stuck in a queue since. You're willing to play on a lower pop server but don't want to reroll, thats the choice some people are facing.

    And if you've ever played an MMO that offered a free transfer period after laucnh, you know people will dogpile servers again in two weeks. Amazon will have to come up with a way to maintain some balance across servers.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  11. #1771
    I've only played maybe 2 hours of this. Early impressions are that combat is very different from WoW and D2 or D3 or Torchlight which are recent games I've played. I'm not sure if I like it or not. Second impression is I think I need to read the new world subreddit and copy the build orders there or I'm probably wasting my time. I work a lot so I don't know when I'll have time to do that tho.

  12. #1772
    Scarab Lord Skizzit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ~De Geso!
    Posts
    4,631
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Review bombing over the queues is stupid. The internet needs to chill. I can only think of a handful of big MMOs didn't have queues at launch and thats because they used layering/shards/overflows, whatever the devs call it to allivate the problem.

    Amazon isn't inncoent though. Launch was their stress test. Going off their own statements, they really didn't know how many people they could let in at once so they went with a very conservative estimate. They also aren't 100% on how many people their servers can sustain, both resource wise and to promote good gameplay. They said transfers will be free but didn't way for people to transfer their current character. You might have been able to play on Tuesday, leveled up quite a bit but been stuck in a queue since. You're willing to play on a lower pop server but don't want to reroll, thats the choice some people are facing.

    And if you've ever played an MMO that offered a free transfer period after laucnh, you know people will dogpile servers again in two weeks. Amazon will have to come up with a way to maintain some balance across servers.
    I think Amazon did the right thing by limiting the number of people on each server. Without that you would not only have a much higher risk of the servers just crashing but you would also end up with the starting zones just flooded with people. For me, sitting in a queue for a bit is a small price to pay if it means once I do get into the game I can actually play it. And you just know people would have flipped their lids had Amazon gone the opposite route. Granted, I also waited until quite late at night before even starting my first character as to avoid that initial rush. As a result, I only once ran into a queue that was more than 5ish people and it was only around 200 or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I've only played maybe 2 hours of this. Early impressions are that combat is very different from WoW and D2 or D3 or Torchlight which are recent games I've played. I'm not sure if I like it or not. Second impression is I think I need to read the new world subreddit and copy the build orders there or I'm probably wasting my time. I work a lot so I don't know when I'll have time to do that tho.
    You can respec as much as you want for free up until level 20 and then after that I believe it only costs some gold. It also looks like you can level up every weapon on a single character (as well as every trade/gathering skill) so I say just try out a bunch of different things and find the set-up that feels right for you. From the little I have read it seems like any weapon set up can function fine. Sure, if you want to min/max like crazy I am sure there are optimal builds, but for just exploring and leveling anything goes.

    For me, I am enjoying the hatchet as my main largely due to the Berserk skill that not only gives you a damage buff, but also can be specced to add a heal over time. Since I mostly play solo, survivability is key. For the secondary weapon I mostly had been using the life staff for more self healing but have also been trying the fire staff and musket for more dps and even swapping the hatchet for the great axe. The only weapons I didn't really like were the bow (felt kinda like a worse version of the musket) and the rapier and the later was more due to the skill trees being pretty uninteresting. Like the so called blood tree only has a single skill that causes bleeding and the grace tree just being kinda boring. But you may be totally different. So just try stuff out and see what you like. There is really no wrong answer and no choice is permanent.

  13. #1773
    Scarab Lord SinR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    My Own Personal Hell
    Posts
    4,166
    i might check it out after a month, after the initial "ERMERGERD NEW GAME" rush is over
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

    Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

  14. #1774
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    i might check it out after a month, after the initial "ERMERGERD NEW GAME" rush is over
    Yeah, that's the best way to approach a new MMO.
    Maybe even 2-3 months, so they had time to patch whatever crapton of bugs were in the game at launch.

    Honestly I don't really even see myself investing time in a MMO at all again.
    WoW has shown me one thing - or rather, quitting WoW has,. There are so many other games out there in the world, it's really a shame to focus on just one.

  15. #1775
    It’s cool so far, but man it feels like every quest is the exact same thing, with the exact same drowned mobs, the exact same chests, at a slightly different location.

    I just don’t get it. It feels like such a blatantly obvious issue for a game dev to fix like months and months ago.

    So many weird decisions like that in the game so far…

    I actually wonder if Amazon was super tight with money on this game because all their previous games lost them so much and they wanted to mitigate their loses if this failed too.

    My best guess, because it feels so blatantly obvious of an issue that I can’t believe there wasn’t a good reason it wasn’t fixed.

  16. #1776
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    It’s cool so far, but man it feels like every quest is the exact same thing, with the exact same drowned mobs, the exact same chests, at a slightly different location.

    I just don’t get it. It feels like such a blatantly obvious issue for a game dev to fix like months and months ago.

    So many weird decisions like that in the game so far…

    I actually wonder if Amazon was super tight with money on this game because all their previous games lost them so much and they wanted to mitigate their loses if this failed too.

    My best guess, because it feels so blatantly obvious of an issue that I can’t believe there wasn’t a good reason it wasn’t fixed.
    This was supposed to be a 100% pvp game, then they shifted and made it pvp & pve. They did what they could to please the pve folks, but not enough as we can see. ALot of the pve stuff is the same things. Same everything really.

    But - now the game is out and yes its not perfect, but its not bad either. I quite like it. From now on Amazon gotta deliver on the upcoming patches!

  17. #1777
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    18,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Show me a video of someone gathering 5-6 mobs and AOE them down easily. I want to see where and how they are doing this.
    Easily i doubt that, 3 to 4 is possible but it is still not comparable to other mmo's.

    Also will be easier to do this as you gain more points in focus and passives with MP returns. But i assume you are speaking of levelling here not max level grinding.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    So my friends convinced me to get the game eventually, I barely played in any of the betas because I didn't want to spoil much if I did decide to play, and fuck me I'm actually really enjoying it, and the thing I'm enjoying the most is not knowing what the fuck I'm doing half the time ;D I'm back where I was in 2005 with WoW, being a complete noob and it feels great.
    Yes it is great fun figuring things out in this game and it is setup to allow you to do so on multiple layers even.
    First off, combat wise there are a lot of builds you can try out as the skill tree looks bland at first but it opens up quite a bit of possibilities, i also like that i have to learn how to play with these weapons rather than learning a set rotation and simply an order of buttons to press in, abilities further build on timings.

    The zones are fun to explore and once you learn to read the map travelling becomes better, fast travel is accessible enough but not too accessible that you basically hop everywhere, i suppose for moving resources around it can be a pain if you simply dumb everything everywhere but i kind of like that some settlements have better craft stations upgrades for certain skills it forces people to be spread out and not clump up in one town, also ties in nicely with town ownership.

    Crafting is fun again, been a while since i liked crafting in a game this feature is also multi layered you can use multiple resources for crafting something, multiple tiers, there are mods and so on. Open to max out everything but you can also craft the max in a specific skill as you need house etc modifiers.

    Honestly the more i learn about this game the more i discover that the systems are actually well thought out and they work together, have not discovered parasitic designs yet.

    Also as an audiophile, the sound engineering and design in this game is superb it really sets the atmosphere and i particularly like the use of bass when crafting your first azoth staff in the temple.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2021-10-02 at 09:22 AM.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

  18. #1778
    Scarab Lord Motorman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Any posh place
    Posts
    4,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Open world PVP is not mandatory PVP.
    It becomes mandatory the moment you get jumped and have to defend yourself.
    "So yes, I'm fine with killing murloc babies" (Quote, MMOC 2021)

  19. #1779
    It's the 5th day and still 4-hour queues. I'll leave for now and come back whenever we get our free server transfer. I can't do this anymore.

  20. #1780
    Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    It's the 5th day and still 4-hour queues. I'll leave for now and come back whenever we get our free server transfer. I can't do this anymore.
    Its the first weekend since release... If there were not queues I would call "dAeD GaME"
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •