Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    He's right tho. Way too many people expect MMO's to fill their life. And that's sad.

Not defending anything about NW quality, game is bad and will be dead in a few months.
    Thats not what was said though. Theres a difference between expecting something to fill your life vs something filling your free time.

The post wqs criticizing someome who expecys the game ti be a good use of their free time. It then goes to say its fine to look to any othet game but this one for infinite content (which no one was arguing). Whicj leads me to believe problem was that people dared criticize the game, and not how thry choose to spend their time.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, if only we had a game that just let you jump into "battlegrounds" style matches at any time without grinding or leveling or anything.

Perhaps the matches could be...say...5v5 or something by default. You could even get gear and items and progress within each match! There might even be skins to acquire and player levels that you could progress with over time.

Not sure if such a thing would catch on.
    I think the point here is being larger than 5x5, which as you note has been done.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Sooner or later everyone sits down to a banquet of consequences." -- Robert Louis Stevenson
    Get your COVID booster. It works so much better than horse paste.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    New World

Auto attacks

https://youtu.be/IUHt0cnOnKY?t=115

Magic

Fire Ball: https://youtu.be/uvYKcuqtRkA?t=454

Do you see where the Fireball comes from? That entire staff and spell animation is just bad.

Fire Field: https://youtu.be/uvYKcuqtRkA?t=191

"Healing": https://youtu.be/iy9pwdsexQI?t=585

Look at those healing animations. They look worse than the ones in WoW. They look like Asian F2P grinder animations.

All weapon animations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKHB...nel=Liltenhead

You basically can just watch that entire video and see how bad the animations are in reality. But I guess they look fine for you?

PvP footage of combat: https://youtu.be/t9UPArR2j6c?t=49

Maybe some PvP for you? There you can experience in real time how bad the animations are and how bad the sound effects are on top of that.

And just for a comparison of an Alpha game vs. a game that will launch in two days:

Ashes of Creation

Auto attacks

https://youtu.be/U3WrvtnSMiM?t=1790

Magic

Fire Field: https://youtu.be/S_7Od_OdXnU?t=240

And you're telling me Ashes of Creation looks worse than New World? Ashes of Creation magic effects from pre-Alpha look better than the latest beta (aka release) footage of New World. Don't get me wrong, AoC still looks rough, but it's ALPHA. New World is going to launch in 2 days.

- - - Updated - - -

Black Desert is 100% player made end game because there are incentives to do that. Something New World is lacking. And that's my point.

Even if New World is a B2P game, it still competes with sub-model MMORPGs. If not, then just make it compete with ESO or GW2, in both cases it's losing in almost every aspect, just due to the amount of content both games have to offer in comparison.

As a B2P game you have to generate revenue one way or another - and New World doesn't have that model implemented yet, which I tried to explain. As a B2P game you need something to generate cash, e.g. your shop. Then you can decide between being P2W or not. ESO has a heavily monetized shop (which relies on lootboxes, but is not P2W), GW2 has a very fair cash shop overall - and both offer you stuff you want / think you need (mounts, good looking skins, houses etc.) - New World is lacking that. Mounts are not in game and skins are pointless because you look not good anyway. So, how are they going to support the game in the future? Good question.
    Because New World is literally just a test for Amazon. They want to test the engine and how they can scale up servers. They don't care if the game is successful. They got their development cost back on the first day. The real goal is just the experience for developing future games.

This game is also basically an advertisement for other developers to buy the right to use their Lumberyard engine or partner with Amazon. "Hey look everyone! We have a new engine and we are also in the market of making games!"
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2021-10-05 at 02:28 AM.

wow this was fairly disappointing so far. all the settlements looking the same, zones dont really differ much at all. lots of visual fatigue on day one.

i dont get it. is this not supposed to be an adventure mmo? questing or adventuring doesnt feel fun at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Because New World is literally just a test for Amazon. They want to test the engine and how they can scale up servers. They don't care if the game is successful. They got their development cost back on the first day. The real goal is just the experience for developing future games.

This game is also basically an advertisement for other developers to buy the right to use their Lumberyard engine or partner with Amazon. "Hey look everyone! We have a new engine and we are also in the market of making games!"
    Honestly? That engine doesn't do a single thing better that UE or Unity. Why would someone buy rights to use that? Unless its like 10x cheaper.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

I still think Star Wars Galaxies was one of the best MMOs for its time. it wasn't without its flaws, but the customization was incredible.

Its unfortunate they butchered it with CU/NGE. I'd still love to see a decent MMO based around their system.

That said, NW is starting to look more and more like a pass for me.
    Last edited by SinR; 2021-10-05 at 05:00 AM.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Literally nothing you've written here is accurate. They absolutely do care about the success of New World, as Amazon Games is a strongly funded developer that had a canceled game and a game that went so poorly they unreleased it and then canned it to its name. They absolutely want to start releasing games that establish themselves as a serious play, in addition to having deep pockets, and there's a reason Bezos is out on Twitter bragging about the gaming teams finally finding a success.

The thing is, they were already using Lumberyard with the unreleased game and Crucible, so this is nonsense. They need good games that are both successful and technically competent if they're looking to start licensing their engine out more.

Though again, assuming they'll just write off a huge investment, especially if we're going to start counting losses from other projects like Crucible, the second it breaks even. They stand to make huge profits off the game is they keep folks around and can folks spending in the cash shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    New World

Auto attacks

https://youtu.be/IUHt0cnOnKY?t=115

Magic

Fire Ball: https://youtu.be/uvYKcuqtRkA?t=454

Do you see where the Fireball comes from? That entire staff and spell animation is just bad.

Fire Field: https://youtu.be/uvYKcuqtRkA?t=191

"Healing": https://youtu.be/iy9pwdsexQI?t=585

Look at those healing animations. They look worse than the ones in WoW. They look like Asian F2P grinder animations.

All weapon animations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKHB...nel=Liltenhead

You basically can just watch that entire video and see how bad the animations are in reality. But I guess they look fine for you?

PvP footage of combat: https://youtu.be/t9UPArR2j6c?t=49

Maybe some PvP for you? There you can experience in real time how bad the animations are and how bad the sound effects are on top of that.

And just for a comparison of an Alpha game vs. a game that will launch in two days:

Ashes of Creation

Auto attacks

https://youtu.be/U3WrvtnSMiM?t=1790

Magic

Fire Field: https://youtu.be/S_7Od_OdXnU?t=240

And you're telling me Ashes of Creation looks worse than New World? Ashes of Creation magic effects from pre-Alpha look better than the latest beta (aka release) footage of New World. Don't get me wrong, AoC still looks rough, but it's ALPHA. New World is going to launch in 2 days.
    I guess everyone has their own take on things.

Personally I prefer fewer spell effects and less clutter on a screen.

From what I am understanding New World sounds like a 3d graphical upgrade to Farmville. Which isn't a bad thing as Farmville is quite popular. But the game loop seems very limited at the moment.

Explore, gather items, craft, sell, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    I guess everyone has their own take on things.

Personally I prefer fewer spell effects and less clutter on a screen.
    Fewer doesn't result in particle effects from the last century. Which is basically the thing in New World. Fewer spell effects is fine, but their quality in New World is still abysmal - that's what I did show with my examples.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope not, the enging is trash. The world itself looks beautiful and stunning, it really does. But the character models, the animations, the spell effects and especially enemy AI and player collision are bottom tier of AAA MMORPGs. It's a shame, really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    wow this was fairly disappointing so far. all the settlements looking the same, zones dont really differ much at all. lots of visual fatigue on day one.

i dont get it. is this not supposed to be an adventure mmo? questing or adventuring doesnt feel fun at all.
    New World is a copy and paste fiesta from start to finish. What you see with level 5 is the same you see with level 60. They had one layout for everything and just copy pasted it in 14 zones. This is a fact. They did this with towns, caves, quarries, farms, they did this with quests, mobs (there are like 10 types of mobs in the entire game), dungeon bosses (bigger standard mobs) and they did this with the character creation - I mean men and women share the exact same options. Copy & paste party all the way from 1 - 60.

______

The only redeeming factor for the incredibly bland and stale PvE aspect of the game is crafting / gathering. Wow wow wow, they did a great job with this. I wish they would have put the same effort into every other aspect of the game, but then it wouldn't have been released until late 2022.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

So I m gonna diverge from the game vs game penis size fighting here and ask a legitimate question. Where the fuck are all the stags??? I ve been trying to do this quest that asks you to kill 6 pumas and get antlers from 2 stags and holy fuck at best I can maybe find does running around but the stags are nowhere the be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    So I m gonna diverge from the game vs game penis size fighting here and ask a legitimate question. Where the fuck are all the stags??? I ve been trying to do this quest that asks you to kill 6 pumas and get antlers from 2 stags and holy fuck at best I can maybe find does running around but the stags are nowhere the be found.
    If this is the quest I think, the stags are a little off, down by the river.

This map should help. https://www.newworld-map.com/#/

Lol I remember that quest. It probably took me an hour because there were 6 people roaming around that small area snagging the 1-2 spawns immediately as they spawned.

That quest is a nightmare. The mere memory of it from the beta makes me not wanna play the game because I will have to do it again.
    All right, gentlemen, let's review. The year is 2021 - that's two-zero-two-one, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of masked sissies.

Lol I remember that quest. It probably took me an hour because there were 6 people roaming around that small area snagging the 1-2 spawns immediately as they spawned.
    Yeah, it's the same with a lot of other quests. The infamous sheeps, for example.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    Works with WoW and m+
    Does it really, though?

And are we really going to be comparing open world grind with difficulty-scaling dungeons?

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    is it even necessary to do the main quest? im lvl 25 and its just that ONE MAIN quest
    It’s definitely not necessary to do it, but I wanted to clear out my quest log and kept going back for more

- - - Updated - - -

This is a response to the guy who asked about the lore.

There is a Fallout vibe to the lore. We show up on Aeternum relatively soon after a major incident basically wiped out most of the non-settlement population centers—so there are zombies and corrupted everywhere, and only the settlements are safe. The story (like fallout) is told in snippets of found texts.

I have no idea how these people eat, since farms are overrun, but since there is an actual in-game explanation for why things respawn eternally, it’s actually not immersion breaking.

The ancients have some awesome monolithic architecture. It’s mysterious in the sense that Stonehenge is mysterious.

Outside of that, lore isn’t in your face too much.

Brewmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Does it really, though?

And are we really going to be comparing open world grind with difficulty-scaling dungeons?
    Yep, same grind. One is for gear, one for score. They are both as boring as each other. Once I started doing +25’s, I noticed that it’s the exact same thing and I have stopped now. At least open world grinding rewards stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I think I've got like 3-4K gold right now. I haven't even checked AH prices, but I probably should since I've been spending a fair amount of time harvesting and have some somewhat rare low/mid-level crafting materials. I usually just tunnel vision the solo game and don't bother with AH's and whatnot until endgame, but might be worth seeing if I can pad out my gold a bit since I imagine we'll need quite a lot of that over time.
    Pretty sure i'm over 2k atm, bought a small starter house which broke me temporarily, the extra instant fast travel helps, comes with a free ride home on a 4 hour cooler above your one hour recall but you can spend some Azoth and use home recall anytime, all the time, as long as you have the Azoth ofc.

I went in to Amrine last night and this Game is so not wow, i'm loving it, gawd i can't remember the last time i had so much fun running a dungeon. Anyone reading, make sure you have your inventory cleared before entering, guildie recommended that and yeah omg thanks for the heads up, i went in with nothing and by the end no room to spare.

I went in looking like a rag and came out looking so bad ass, gear score jumped a minimum 50 if had to guess about 70ish, so now i'm (totally guessing here) like 340ish ilvl? Where i know i went in ballpark 270ish. Similar to you it's all kinda "whatever atm" until i get closer to endgame, then will really start paying much more attention to stats ect.

Atm i'm on the journey, taking my time, and loving every second of it.

Main combo for solo is Great Axe(10) + Life Staff(9), for (pvp and dungeons) Great Axe + Hatchet(9) /tip you can lock inv items, i swap between H and LS, and lock them so i don't mistakenly salvage them.

I kinda kept gimping myself early on by continually trying new weps, example i'm 15, i get 15-17 quests, but go in guns a blazing with a brand new level 1 whatever wep lol.

The way i'm taking in the game has completely changed from when i first started too. One example, I used to stick to the roads for safety heading to quest obj, where now i take a direct straight line through to whatever so i can mine, harvest, skin, chop, kill to level weps along the way. The life staff is perfect for range, rabbit "pop", deer "pop,pop,pop" dead/skin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    Yep, same grind. One is for gear, one for score. They are both as boring as each other. Once I started doing +25’s, I noticed that it’s the exact same thing and I have stopped now. At least open world grinding rewards stuff.
    Someone on discord last night, voice, from the guild said they got a purple form skinning a wolf, i asked "a wolf?", she said yep. So does this game have a chance to just drop high-end items on a rare chance from anything? No-one on chat knew, so we guess so? If it does, gawd i love when an mmorpg has that, it's that little hope at all times, you never know, and people will stop killing and not skinning.
    Last edited by xpsync; 2021-10-05 at 02:39 PM.
    looking out of my lonely room day after day

Quote Originally Posted by xpsync View Post
    Someone on discord last night, voice, from the guild said they got a purple form skinning a wolf, i asked "a wolf?", she said yep. So does this game have a chance to just drop high-end items on a rare chance from anything? No-one on chat knew, so we guess so? If it does, gawd i love when an mmorpg has that, it's that little hope at all times, you never know, and people will stop killing and not skinning.
    Was it a purple piece of gear or a purple level crafting item? If the latter, then yeah. I have also gotten that. It seems every type of gather has multiple levels of items you can receive. I don't know what the higher rarity items are used to make though.