Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    New MMOs should stop aiming at WoW and it's 5~ million subscribers and start looking at games like Minecraft with it's 100~ million active players?
    Most very much have. Though chasing Minecraft is similarly a fools errand.

15+ Year Old Account
    New MMOs should stop aiming at WoW and it's 5~ million subscribers and start looking at games like Minecraft with it's 100~ million active players?

Not saying one is clearly more superior, but why keep aiming for World of Warcraft when their formula for addictive gameplay has been dethroned tenfold?

Not nearly the same games, though both would classify as an MMORPG.
    Because the crowd playing WoW and Minecraft are entirely different demographic. Hence X people play WoW and Y play Minecraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Hopefully they add more to the combat later in the game. When alpha was around, you'd get up in levels and realize you will never learn anymore combat moves. It put a damper on character progression.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I wonder if this game can be played primary PvE with little to no PvP.
    Yes, all PvP is voluntary.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Hopefully they add more to the combat later in the game. When alpha was around, you'd get up in levels and realize you will never learn anymore combat moves. It put a damper on character progression.
    This is one reason why this game isn't necessarily geared towards taking any from WoW. People who don't mind a limited skill set already play different games.

I don't know about PVE, meta builds will always be a thing, but there's tons of room in PVP for multiple builds with the same weapons. I have a farming skill set for axe, a small scale pvp, and one large.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Well it's immediately not a WoW competitor because it lacks certain features that attract people loyal to WoW. It's been proven and shown time and time again that WoW players want GCD based tab targeting, holy trinity, DnD derived fantasy settings, gear grinds with an emphasis on dungeons and raids. Basically they want WoW but with a different art style.

Youre DoA if you goal is to 'kill WoW'.It heavily restricts the kind game you can make. New World is competing with ESO, survival MMOs (Ark, Atlas, Age of Conan), and GW2.
    It's really quite a simplistic approach.

It's not like so-called "WoW players" play only WoW. Need I remind you WoW had 100m+ accounts created over its existence? That's A LOT of WoW players not playing WoW anymore and they did not all exclusively go to GCD tab targeting holy trinity fantasy games.

Will it or not, New World is a MMORPG. And as a MMORPG it is WoW competitor and it will be judged accordingly. And one of the things it will be judged on is how smooth and responsive combat is. It does not matter much that the combat system is not the same, game responsiveness will be a thing to compare to WoW, which is a golden standard of MMOs there.

Same goes for content, which is even more directly competing with WoW and other MMOs out there. If its content is basic and higher end content is non-existent, it will be in trouble.

Tab targeting and such other nonsense is so unimportant - the game won't live or die because it has no tab targeting. But if its mechanics are shit and content is not up to snuff to what people expect in 2021 it will decline fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    If you want to take someone away from WoW or FF14 today, your game needs to be better then them. Today.
    At the very least, the actual gameplay needs to be better. The systems, refinement, optimization, combat, etc. You cannot release an unpolished game with half-assed ideas in this market, despite the entire REST of the industry seemingly being fine with vaporware and endless early access/perpetual beta titles.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    You get access to 3 weapons so thats 9 abilities and the standard light and heavy attack from each weapon, so thats more than enough, more abilities does not mean more interesting combat, having a limited choice means you build your char for the situation and that has more meaning for character progression.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Well it's immediately not a WoW competitor because it lacks certain features that attract people loyal to WoW. It's been proven and shown time and time again that WoW players want GCD based tab targeting, holy trinity, DnD derived fantasy settings, gear grinds with an emphasis on dungeons and raids. Basically they want WoW but with a different art style.

Youre DoA if you goal is to 'kill WoW'.It heavily restricts the kind game you can make. New World is competing with ESO, survival MMOs (Ark, Atlas, Age of Conan), and GW2.
    WoW players actually want something completely different to WoW, the tab targetting is not a good combat system, the problem is most games are too similar, so WoW players go back because they have already invested years into the game so whats the point in playing another, its not because WoW is actually the best game, because WoW is not really that good, it does decent raids and the group content is half decent but everything else is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    At the very least, the actual gameplay needs to be better. The systems, refinement, optimization, combat, etc. You cannot release an unpolished game with half-assed ideas in this market, despite the entire REST of the industry seemingly being fine with vaporware and endless early access/perpetual beta titles.
    The gameplay is pretty good as it currently stands so what are you talking about, no game is released perfect as it took WoW and other games years of further development and they are still going so changing things, an MMO is always a work in progress.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-07-24 at 01:54 AM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    The gameplay is pretty good as it currently stands so what are you talking about, no game is released perfect as it took WoW and other games years of further development and they are still going so changing things, an MMO is always a work in progress.
    I have no idea how New World fares on that front as I've never played it. My statements were generalized. No one expects a new MMO to have the same amount of content, but they do expect it to be just as fun without any glaring issues and with at least SOMETHING meaningful to do at max level besides mindlessly grind shit (looking at you, Outriders and whatever the fuck that huge blunder failure from Bioware was in the not-so-distant past).

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    I have no idea how New World fares on that front as I've never played it. My statements were generalized. No one expects a new MMO to have the same amount of content, but they do expect it to be just as fun without any glaring issues and with at least SOMETHING meaningful to do at max level besides mindlessly grind shit (looking at you, Outriders and whatever the fuck that huge blunder failure from Bioware was in the not-so-distant past).
    I expect New World to evolve over time and get better and better, it should be able to retain a reasonable playerbase, there is still a ton of potential for it as its only just starting out.

30 hours in, this is so so good. Cant wait for the release.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Idk, pressing buttons in wow in 2004 feel as good as pressing buttons in wow now, it hasn't really changed much at it's fundamental core. I haven't played new world myself but i saw some review that was very negative about the combat locking you in place and swinging at the air way to much, which doesn't sound great.

Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    Idk, pressing buttons in wow in 2004 feel as good as pressing buttons in wow now, it hasn't really changed much at it's fundamental core. I haven't played new world myself but i saw some review that was very negative about the combat locking you in place and swinging at the air way to much, which doesn't sound great.
    Haven't looked at any footage yet, but combat locking you into animations isn't neccesarily a bad thing. Like Monster Hunter also forces you to commit to your moves, so you don't just swing your big hits with a massive weapon and just stop midway to dodge or when you miss some moves with your hammer, you gotta wait a second or two until you can roll out of it.
    Can give combat more depths and makes you think more about which moves you use instead of spamming everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since the closed Beta is open to talk about (no NDA): I've been testing it out for over a year now and enjoying what it is now.

Open world MMORPG is a nice niche for people. There's no pressure to level to "end-game". PvP is elective (and more constructive there's objectives to do) and people wanting to be just casual players on the weekend, can choose their play mode.

Personally, I wished they had more time to add more content and flesh out the world. But it's time for it to be released. We long needed a Western themed MMORPG, and an open world type.

There's something in it for everyone. It's not WoW it doesn't pretend to be. It's its own MMO. I like the blend of EQ + WoW + Survival play involved. It's a blend and the devs went through 3 make-overs to get to what they have now, showing they do respond to player feedback from every play style, too.

Veterans will see various game modes they're familiar with, but with a touch of newness, too.

Crafters, THAT'S a crafting MMO that isn't too deep but NOTHING like crafting in WoW now! Love the crafting stations and how the mat collecting is done, that reminds me of EQII. The color scheme will remind people of WoW. Survivalists will see a newer approach to "living" in the wilderness (I can't get enough of that ... I gravitated to survival games over the years and loving how 11bit Studios have done it with Frostpunk, especially).

Something for everyone is in New World.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    the combat is more skill based in New World so you can miss your attacks, if you commit to an attack then its pretty obvious you shouldnt be able to cancel the animation, in new world there is no real casting as such, you choose to use an ability and hit or miss you complete that action.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    I've ended up bouncing off New World and getting a refund, not necessarily because the game was bad but more so because apparently, my GPU (GTX 1060) can't fully handle the game even on low settings. I was just consistently getting video lag every now and then, to the point that it became too annoying to deal with.

That said, the game itself is enjoyable enough. Nothing earth-shaking or really innovative, but it does its job well. The crafting system, in particular, seemed very interesting. Combat was a tad on the boring side, but not awful. Like I said, it's all "good enough".
    Really sounds like an issue with your computer, a 1060 should be able to run medium with really high FPS as long as the rest of your computer isn't 8 years old.

Edit: With a Ryzen 5 3000 series and a 970 you can even play very high with 40-50 FPS..

10+ Year Old Account
    After skimming through New World forums and thinking about the current situation with stability, queues and so on - I think I'll give this game a good 3-4 months out before I go for it.

IMO, it's the best way. There are good things in New World and there are some things that make me raise eyebrow like having only whole 2 dungeons total and seemingly questing and story being meh. I want to see it release, stabilize and see what's in pipeline for content, as it sounds whole lot barebones at the moment from what I read.

After it's out for several months, I'll know if it's actually worth my time or is another dud.

Not saying one is clearly more superior, but why keep aiming for World of Warcraft when their formula for addictive gameplay has been dethroned tenfold?

Not nearly the same games, though both would classify as an MMORPG.
    Not saying you are wrong but wow has around 13mil subs atm if not more

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Really sounds like an issue with your computer, a 1060 should be able to run medium with really high FPS as long as the rest of your computer isn't 8 years old.

Edit: With a Ryzen 5 3000 series and a 970 you can even play very high with 40-50 FPS..
    People with higher end systems than the person you replied to are seeing lag and fps issues. Even on the starting screen. It is the game. It needs work.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post

- - - Updated - - -

People with higher end systems than the person you replied to are seeing lag and fps issues. Even on the starting screen. It is the game. It needs work.
    Yeah sorry, looked into it a lot more and it seems like there's a huge imbalance between performances. And the 3090 failures are quite sad to see (even if that's Nvidias fault really).
    Might be best to chill and see how it turns out a while after release.

And the other guys comment, you seriously think WoW has 13 million subs? That's not even close to true . Check this Google trend out: https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...=%2Fm%2F021dvx

During 2009~ WoW peaked in WLK with like 13 million subs. And according to Mr. Google, WoW isn't even close to as popular to talk about online. You can see the little Blip 2019 when Classic was released and it avg. a bit more.

But the avg. now is around 10-12 "trend points"or whatever its called. During the time Blizzard actually had 13+ million subs for WoW it had 85-95 points. Not sure exactly how Googles trend system works but.. Compare the trend with Blizzards sub graph and you'll see it matches quite perfectly.
    Last edited by Askyl; 2021-07-24 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post

- - - Updated - - -

No it doesn't.