Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I think a pure PvP mmo can work, but it needs a very clear gameplay structure, istanced pvp areas, ladders and a reward progression. It cannot simply be open world zerging and objectives like New World is, because see that's already happening - on specific servers people will flock to the most populous faction, gain control of the entire world and basically make so world pvp is basically a non issue anymore.

I really don't get why they went with this kind of idea since it's pretty clear it never really worked in the past and they didn't implement anything to make it work. I dig the weapon talent trees and classless design though.
    I mean it works for Black Desert. There is PvE, but everything is really centered around the PvP aspect. And Black Desert is a massive game in the West and the East. The thing is, Black Desert has a completely different combat system that requires skill and is polished to the extreme. New World's combat simply doesn't work for PvP as it's incredibly slow, clunky and just very shallow and boring.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    I mean it works for Black Desert. There is PvE, but everything is really centered around the PvP aspect. And Black Desert is a massive game in the West and the East. The thing is, Black Desert has a completely different combat system that requires skill and is polished to the extreme. New World's combat simply doesn't work for PvP as it's incredibly slow, clunky and just very shallow and boring.
    But it also doesn't have the whole "control the zone" thing. BDO is completely setup as a PvP mmo, with some side activities. New World seems like they were actually undecided what route to take and then they ended going nowhere really.

(EDIT: thinking that Lost Ark has been delayed very likely because of New World makes me seethe).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

But it also doesn't have the whole "control the zone" thing. BDO is completely setup as a PvP mmo, with some side activities. New World seems like they were actually undecided what route to take and then they ended going nowhere really.

(EDIT: thinking that Lost Ark has been delayed very likely because of New World makes me seethe).
    Wasn't Lost Ark's original release Dec '21, if anything thats the perfect time frame for people to play New World and decide it's not for them and get ravenous over finding a new game to play. Lost Ark's delay is probably for some legit reason.

Oh that’s absolutely true, the devs have no vision for New World. It wants to be everything and ends up being nothing.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    A better question is: are they all 2-boss mini instances? Or is there anything a bit more epic? I am also assuming that no raids are included or planed for the near future, since I heard nothing about them.
    No raids that I know of. I doubt the gameplay would support that concept in a traditional sense. But you never know.

There are only like two dungeons, or expeditions, that have one or two bosses. One is like an arena boss and is very hard. For the most part, the expeditions are kinda like the dungeons in Guild Wars 2. They are just standard action-MMO dungeons.

Epic is a subjective value up to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    when is the open beta starting, how long will it last and where can i download it?
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

You do control territories in New World. My guild was in control of the Everfall territory and then the Syndicate bros and another company sweep the map overnight.

There was a big throwdown north of Wundsward and Marauders lost big time and the other two factions split the map with almost every town swapping guild control by the end of the week.

Taxes were sky high and I had to move to First Light and Monarchs Bluffs before going way north to escape the tyranny of taxation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    when is the open beta starting, how long will it last and where can i download it?
    Open Beta will begin on September 9 at 7:00AM PT (2:00PM UTC) and continue until September 12 at 11:59PM PT (6:59AM UTC).

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Wasn't Lost Ark's original release Dec '21, if anything thats the perfect time frame for people to play New World and decide it's not for them and get ravenous over finding a new game to play. Lost Ark's delay is probably for some legit reason.
    Date was a placeholder, was last quarter of 2021 and theybsaid beginning of november, it got pushed to 1Q 2022. The point is that LA is a fully fledged game - its 3 years old at this point, had a rough start in KR but since then the whole thing has been basically good all the time. They have literally nothing to do other than english translation and the business model/cash shop. Instead they sent a message about all the bugs to squish and things to do which is just PR talk for "we had to delay new world and we cannot let another game compete with our one".

However is just guessing. We will never know the true reasons.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Might throw this on the table, wow has hard af content and is 100% why i play it, but as far as an mmorpg, meh leaves much to be desired, more of an esport and where are they going with the game? plus all the drama surrounding it.

atm almost Keystone Hero two left @ 19, 5/10 mythic, and the game doesn't have anything else to offer beyond that and even if it did all that sucks up my gaming time.

ffxiv i was there before it even launched in early access and i loved the game so much for a long time, but now? I'm not sure what the problem is. I have so many jobs a couple maxed out, and i just can't get the game to work for me any more and find it rather boring af? Who knows?

So yeah New World on radar at the min. I just need some world to be, which is SWG:L as wow is fucked for that it's just a raid, M+ game which isn't enough for a mmorpg player, and yeah SWG:L been there for 4 to 5 years now, and was there at the og too. Something fresh and new is sounding pretty damn good atm.
    looking out of my lonely room day after day

10+ Year Old Account
    is open beta available for download on steam or somewhere else?

are these necromancers, vampires, dragon knights or angels as playable classes? anything like it?

is open beta available for download on steam or somewhere else?

are these necromancers, vampires, dragon knights or angels as playable classes? anything like it?
    I've got good news if you want to play a Conquistador.

Lol what? Do you know anything at all about the game? XD

10+ Year Old Account
    im asking if theres anything that interests me atm. i mean, its a fucking fantasy game, is it not?

im asking if theres anything that interests me atm. i mean, its a fucking fantasy game, is it not?
    not every fantasy is the same lol

10+ Year Old Account
    still, i dont get the astonishment. as if i asked this question about some sci-fi game
    its a fucking forum, and were in this game dedicated thread, so im asking questions about it. whats so surprising?

i know theres guns, melee weapons and staffs that heal or throw fireballs. is there anything else to it or is it all that boring???

Yes absolutely.
    Except angels but they hinted that they might add something similar later.

Quote Originally Posted by SimithDAEN View Post
    Well, if compare New World with WoW, I think the combat styles between the games are very different. It’s hard to say, with absolution, which one is better or worse. It comes down to personal preference. If you are a player who prefers tab-targeting, then World of Warcraft is your game. If you don’t like tab-targeting, then choose New World.
    new world combat is nothing like wows. not even close to even compare them. new world combat is like the single player elder scrolls game. hack repetedly, mixed in with some extremely dumbed down version of dark souls combat and you have new world. if combat in new world was fixed to be on par with any MMO ever made it would be a lot better.

- - - Updated - - -

still, i dont get the astonishment. as if i asked this question about some sci-fi game
    its a fucking forum, and were in this game dedicated thread, so im asking questions about it. whats so surprising?

i know theres guns, melee weapons and staffs that heal or throw fireballs. is there anything else to it or is it all that boring???
    it is that boring of combat. elder scrolls 4 and 5 have better melee combat than new world.

Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    new world combat is nothing like wows. not even close to even compare them. new world combat is like the single player elder scrolls game. hack repetedly, mixed in with some extremely dumbed down version of dark souls combat and you have new world. if combat in new world was fixed to be on par with any MMO ever made it would be a lot better.

- - - Updated - - -

it is that boring of combat. elder scrolls 4 and 5 have better melee combat than new world.
    The combat is still more interesting than repeated button tapping that WoW, WoW has the most basic boring combat system compared to most other games.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

"Fantasy' is a broad term and can mean anything from Star Wars to Conan the Barbarian.

This being a New World thread doesn't mean it is necessarily serving to educate you on everything. So the outlandishness of asking if there is "Angel" or "Dragon Knight" "classes" is absurd in the extreme on several fronts. The least of which actually have anything to do with New World- that's how ridiculous the question is to even have typed.

There is very much such a thing as a "stupid question". Such as asking if the Mexican Taqueria serves tacos (this happened IRL to me) or New World has "Angel" as a playable class.

It's ignorant of the setting, the theme, and even the conception of game mechanics presented in the game. That is not an insult to you personally, it is just grossly misguided.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    The combat is still more interesting than repeated button tapping that WoW, WoW has the most basic boring combat system compared to most other games.
    Lolno. Having to keep track of rotations, procs, etc, all while maximizing your uptime and coordinating mechanics with your raid team is vastly more complex than whatever the fuck is going on in new world. Having to be aware of timing, animation lock, etc, isn't nearly as engaging as you think it is when it's slow as fuck like NW's version.

There are 3 versions of Dark Souls combat (read: hack/slash with skills and dodging) that I like from best to worst:

Kingdoms of Amalur - fastest pace and if your reaction timing is good, you won't ever take damage, even when using a greatsword
    Dark Souls - Ye Olde Standard
    Monster Hunter - Slower pace, worse animation locks, but a shit ton of fun boss fights and some really good environmental stuff to compensate

New World looks like a snooze-fest that falls below monster hunter.

Conversely, even wow's retarded reduced APM (which they introduced in... BFA I think?) Still puts it at a much higher APM than this game. Yeah, you don't have to worry about your own attacks landing, but positioning is still hugely important and you absolutely have to perfect your use of skills in appropriate orders at appropriate times for high-end content. The difference between a skilled player and a pleb, all else equal, is an order of magnitude. New world doesn't look like it has the flexibility to ensure elite players get to shine properly.

I like my games with high skill ceilings and large skill gaps.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2021-09-08 at 03:04 PM.