https://www.reddit.com/r/newworldgam...rs_waiting_in/

After playing the betas/alphas I expected this to happen, but they still deserve the shit they get from the community for it. With better planning, they could have avoided this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post

After playing the betas/alphas I expected this to happen, but they still deserve the shit they get from the community for it. With better planning, they could have avoided this.
    How many times do you have to be told that throwing massive resources at temporary problem, especially when the "solution" of throwing more servers at launch (which they're doing) causes more problems later, is a terrible solution for literally everyone except players in the very short term?

It's like the first time people have played a MMO at launch for petes sake. Ain't nobody got patience and shit no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    and then face complaints about too many players in one area and quests being undoable and mobs being camped 24/7
    Had one friend who made it in yesterday and later that night when i was about to log out we hooked up on discord for few, talk about the game, and at this time i'm 10 he was already level 15/16, i'm a slow and absorb, smell the roses, no rush type player, he has one speed GO!!! lol

Anyway he was going on about how he wasn't getting kill credit for a quest, he figured cause he needed last hit on the mob, and there is a steady stream of people camping it all times, "group up folks", once he did that he was done, got kill credit. But yeah too many people causes a whole other set of problems/complaints.

Personally this game, like Valheim, they ain't going anywhere and i'm in no hurry to burn out any game i love atm, especially a brand New MMORPG, and even wow, although i think 5/10 mythic is it, we lost 7, well 7 players didn't show last night who were supposed to be there and i think i know why, thing is i was the only one who had already booked the raid night off, like two weeks ago. So i dunno, it stays afloat I'm in and give my 200% as usual, it starts to fall apart, i'm not rebuilding once again and frankly these games are better to me, atm anyway.
    looking out of my lonely room day after day

10+ Year Old Account

Jesus..... No matter how you look at it, that's just bad. More people in the queue then actually playing it is just strange.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    How many times do you have to be told that throwing massive resources at temporary problem, especially when the "solution" of throwing more servers at launch (which they're doing) causes more problems later, is a terrible solution for literally everyone except players in the very short term?

It's like the first time people have played a MMO at launch for petes sake. Ain't nobody got patience and shit no more.
    There is a middle ground as well. Don't think i've ever seen queues like this at a major games release before. People sitting for several hours in queues and more people in the queues then actually playing is just bad. Why is it so bad to add more servers since they will just end up merging them later? Sure there are negatives with it, but right now more people can't play their game then can actually play and that's just bad and will be bad in the long term as well.

It's a massive problem and they had to find a solution for this. You can't expect paying customers to be happy after you told them just be patient after they bought your product. What is this nonsense. These queues are a massive problem and such a massive problem deservers resources to get fixed. That simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
    I see a lot of people being against the game and I don't understand why... what's the point?! You don't like it, no problem, don't play it; but don't go around talking garbage about it and especially when you haven't played it yourself.
    It's almost like some are taking pleasure in making/seeing someone else unhappy... which surely is unheard of... /s
    Because if you don't balance the weirdly invested hype posts with some negatives many easily influenced people will buy it without actually looking into whether they'll like it or not. There are a lot of Anthem and Fallout 76 preorders who wish they'd paid a bit more attention to the "haters". Not saying this is an abortion like those games, but it's valuable to have some balance to perspective.
    On a side note why should someone else's negative opinion about the game bother you? If you like it why do you need a forum where that opinion is constantly validated?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cren View Post
    There is a middle ground as well. Don't think i've ever seen queues like this at a major games release before. People sitting for several hours in queues and more people in the queues then actually playing is just bad. Why is it so bad to add more servers since they will just end up merging them later? Sure there are negatives with it, but right now more people can't play their game then can actually play and that's just bad and will be bad in the long term as well.
    WoW classic had servers with queues of upwards of 3 hours at launch, this isn't really that uncommon.

They are adding more servers, just not mountains of them. It just means that folks will need to reroll there (since transferring characters with stuff from existing servers would give them an unfair edge).

Why is it bad?

1. It costs money and time to spin them up.
    2. Many will be ghost towns in a matter of months, which can and will cause more people to quit before they're merged.
    3. Server merges will be VERY chaotic with how central the player driven economy is, and nobody is gonna be happy when that's thrown into chaos with a merger. Also tilts the balance of factions and territory control, which ideally should stay fairly stable within a server (not as in never changing, but that it will change naturally without outside influence).
    4. Server merges take time and money as well.

There are more, but as I keep repeating we've seen devs panick and do this before, and I'll once again point to SWTOR as an example of why it's a bad idea to a very temporary problem. Opened hundreds of servers, most ended up ghost towns fairly quickly, had multiple huge rounds of server merges which pissed everyone off because they lost names (thankfully not an issue for New World) and communities were broken up.

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    I just wonder when will people finally accept that MMO launch days are always like this. I ve played nearly every MMO released since 2006 most of which I played on release day and launch days have always been a mess.
    Some of them had unstable servers (for me that is personally the worst)
    Some had long queues
    Some had massive lag
    Some had too many people funneled in spors making the game unplayable
    And the list goes on and on and on...
    So these days honestly I ll take a smooth server with queues any day of the week. You cannot avoid it so might as well make it a smooth experience once you re able to get in.
    For sure, everyone just enjoy the crazy, it's not going to be launching forever, and when was the last big mmorpg launch? ? right! When is the next big mmorpg launch? ? Right again. Enjoy it while it lasts, might never be another.
    looking out of my lonely room day after day

Quote Originally Posted by Poopsnacker View Post
    Don't even try to tell them this. We had the same shit with WoW Classic and massive dead server pretty fast then. New World will have the same problems.
    They simply don't get it.
    New World has global names.. they can just merge Servers with the snip of their fingers. No one on dead servers gets hurt.

It's a massive problem and they had to find a solution for this.
    They have: Incrementally open new servers. The solution doesn't necessarily have to make everyone happy to be a good solution.

You can't expect paying customers to be happy after you told them just be patient after they bought your product. What is this nonsense.
    I'd argue it's far sillier for MMO gamers who have been dealing with launch instability for decades to still act like it's new and outrageous that there are launch stability issues for MMO's, or in the case of New World literally just queue times. Yeah, they suck, and if you don't have the patience to wait in them, roll on a new server without heavy queues, or simply wait until the launch rush dies down then refund the game.

These queues are a massive problem and such a massive problem deservers resources to get fixed. That simple.
    For like, maybe a week or two. Oh the horror.

So far I am level 19.

Don't get to play much due to the extreme queues and tonight I even got disconnected while in spot 1xx, then back to 3200... Not very fun.

The Bow weapon seems just a huge disadvantage to "main". Having to manually aim it, I wonder how they will balance this in PvP. Either you have to aim perfectly to be "balanced" or the e-sports gamers will all go aim weapons as they hit more than what the balance intended.

Kind of disapointed there is no way to use lightning damage currently. It's my favorite type.

So far I enjoy the Rapier weapon the most.

New World has global names.. they can just merge Servers with the snip of their fingers. No one on dead servers gets hurt.
    Except, again as repeatedly pointed out, with the player-driven economy being fairly central, that's not exactly a great solution due to the chaos it will throw the economy and territory control into.

You're thinking 5 minutes into the future. Amazon can't only think 5 minutes into the future, they have to be thinking weeks/months/years into the future. As I stated, Amazon is looking to the horizon while folks right now complaining about queues and demanding they open hundreds of new servers are looking at their feet.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW classic had servers with queues of upwards of 3 hours at launch, this isn't really that uncommon.

They are adding more servers, just not mountains of them. It just means that folks will need to reroll there (since transferring characters with stuff from existing servers would give them an unfair edge).

Why is it bad?

1. It costs money and time to spin them up.
    2. Many will be ghost towns in a matter of months, which can and will cause more people to quit before they're merged.
    3. Server merges will be VERY chaotic with how central the player driven economy is, and nobody is gonna be happy when that's thrown into chaos with a merger. Also tilts the balance of factions and territory control, which ideally should stay fairly stable within a server (not as in never changing, but that it will change naturally without outside influence).
    4. Server merges take time and money as well.

There are more, but as I keep repeating we've seen devs panick and do this before, and I'll once again point to SWTOR as an example of why it's a bad idea to a very temporary problem. Opened hundreds of servers, most ended up ghost towns fairly quickly, had multiple huge rounds of server merges which pissed everyone off because they lost names (thankfully not an issue for New World) and communities were broken up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopsnacker View Post
    Don't even try to tell them this. We had the same shit with WoW Classic and massive dead server pretty fast then. New World will have the same problems.
    They simply don't get it.
    Yes merging servers aint perfect like you said, but since they have already set everything up for merging servers they are obviously prepared for it and it will happen anyway. As it is now there have been so many people who haven't even been able to play for a whole day because they get disconnected in the queues and have to start over.

I'm not saying that you can just throw more servers and everything will be perfect, but i think you guys are really downplaying what a big issue this is atm. Also there should have been progress made server wise (especially from a company like Amazon) and not be the same issues like it was 15 years ago.

Just sitting back and accepting things for what they are is just as bad. I prefer for them to get critisism for people not being able to play and maybe there will be some progress made on technical side on servers so things will get better over time if nothing else.

Except, again as repeatedly pointed out, with the player-driven economy being fairly central, that's not exactly a great solution due to the chaos it will throw the economy and territory control into.

You're thinking 5 minutes into the future. Amazon can't only think 5 minutes into the future, they have to be thinking weeks/months/years into the future. As I stated, Amazon is looking to the horizon while folks right now complaining about queues and demanding they open hundreds of new servers are looking at their feet.
    There is no economy on dead servers. The 5 people who are affected will welcome the change.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm also pretty sure a lot of people disagree with you which one of those are the bigegst problem. A lot of people who can't even get online also affects the economy. What's to say this is the right way to do things? Atleast more people would get to play with more servers for example.

Yes merging servers aint perfect like you said, but since they have already set everything up for merging servers they are obviously prepared for it and it will happen anyway.
    Yeah, it's a practical reality of MMO launches. But that doesn't mean they should throw caution to the wind, either. The goal is to limit the need for server merges as much as possible, since those take time and are massive headaches for all involved.

I'm not saying that you can just throw more servers and everything will be perfect, but i think you guys are really downplaying what a big issue this is atm. Also there should have been progress made server wise (especially from a company like Amazon) and not be the same issues like it was 15 years ago.
    Are there different setups that could accommodate more players? Sure, WoW uses a lot of that tech and it works damned well. But it would conflict with almost all the core design of the game, with server-based factional territory battles and server-based economies. WoW doesn't have those kind of server-oriented designs so functionally putting bunches of servers together doesn't compromise anything for them.

Just because the tech exists doesn't mean it makes sense to use all the time. So we're left with the simple practical realities of online games/services being HAMMERED at launch and having issues (queues, crashes, lag etc.) which is still fairly common since like, there are simply limitations on a lot of hardware/software and you can't bypass them.

Honestly, I'm downplaying it because I think it's largely a tempest in a teacup, as it's been for every other MMO at launch.

Wow's launch in 2004 isn't a good comparison. That was over 16 years ago and a lot of changed since. Also, this is Amazon. They have resources plus if they are spinning up new servers that fast, they thought ahead. Now, I'm not saying they should lose money for the initial rush but let's be honest and admit that they can and cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    In reality, this is one of the best large MMO launches in a long while.

Being salty because there are wait times in the first days is silly.
    20,000 queues for a 2000 server? Bruh.

Quote Originally Posted by meckeard View Post
    Wow's launch in 2004 isn't a good comparison.
    Nobody is comparing it to that, we're comparing it to the more recent WoW classic launch.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    In reality, this is one of the best large MMO launches in a long while.

Being salty because there are wait times in the first days is silly.
    less than half of the players can actually play. this launch is by far the worst ive ever seen from wow and ffxiv, including all expacs, even rift launched better.