10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Sure, and FF14 is the perfect example of a game that fails to excel in any area, getting along on mediocrity to slightly above mediocrity in all aspects and enjoying a re-invigoration of late entirely off the back of WoW failing to engage its own core audience. FF14 is an extremely niche game - you need to enjoy the anime aesthetic (right the way down to sexualized catgirls and children) before you can even engage with the content, and then you have to be content with 2004-esque run here, talk to this person, run to the other side of the world, talk to another person questlines before you can engage with the story. It's potentially a "better" game for today's anti-social players with short attention spans in that you can get your instant gratification a la soloing old raids by collecting glamour items and making your home look pretty, but I think designing for those sorts of people is a detriment to gaming as a whole.

I'll be upfront right now, you won't change my mind on this. I appreciate that you will probably disagree with my take but we can probably save each other a page or so by not arguing about it.
    Ok you might not like FF14, thats besides the point. The game was doing fine before 2021 and will continue to do so after without emulating WoW's formula that raids are endgame.

"Hardcore endgame raiding" is about the only point of an MMO style game in the current marke
    The statement might be you're opinion of an MMO but the success of other MMOs prove otherwise. SWTOR is 10, about to drop a new expansion. GW2, 9, new expansion in Feb. FF14, 8, new expansion in a few weeks. ESO, 7, it always has some sort of DLC/expansion coming out. The devs of not one of those games care to turn their endgame in the raid focused style of WoW nor need to so to keep making money and satififying their customers.

So New World doesn't need to either. I'm making that point for NW and I don't even like the game.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    "Hardcore endgame raiding" is about the only point of an MMO style game in the current market. Competitive PvP has been done to death in myriad free-to-play games, power-fantasy solo PvE is done infinitely better in games like PoE, crafting (which is somehow "gameplay" I guess) is better, I hear, in games like Valheim or whatever. Storyline is and always has been better in single-player RPGs, although the vast vast majority of all video game storytelling is rubbish and you would be better off spending your time watching the infinite number of TV shows and movies available to you on streaming services.

So, again, we get to the core reason why WoW still exists all these years later, and the core content that will bring people swarming back to the game if Blizzard were to remove the arbitrary barriers to entry (renown, AP, shards, whatever) - difficult group PvE content.

A game like New World is never going to grab and hold the attention of a 20man WoW raid guild. Maybe it'll drag away some people whose extent of engagement with WoW is soloing old raids and queuing for LFR because those people are entirely missing the point of WoW in 2021, but there is currently just no replacement on the market for logging in two or three nights a week to kill bosses with your friends. Wildstar, at a time where WoW's PvE content is mired in busywork that no one asked for, would absolutely have a better time now that it did the first go around, in my opinion. So long as they ditched the Ratchet and Clank aesthetic.
    I don't think its 'difficult' content that kept WoW where it is, but simply well executed PvE content.

If NW's PvE content was fun and engaging the game would probably have a good future. But their choice for weapon/skill system, which to me feels very much like a PvP centric choice system, is going to make that very difficult to accomplish.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I don't think its 'difficult' content that kept WoW where it is, but simply well executed PvE content.

If NW's PvE content was fun and engaging the game would probably have a good future. But their choice for weapon/skill system, which to me feels very much like a PvP centric choice system, is going to make that very difficult to accomplish.
    Have you done dungeons in NW? I have and its not a plesant or enjoyable experience. Feels more like a big clusterfuck with everyone just crashing into eachother while attacking. Its a clunky experience at best, cant imagine it will be more fun with 10+ people for a raid.

Currently im lvl 28 and so far the game has been great, bar the dungeon experience. Luckily I dont need to do it alot, just finish up quests.

Tbh its worth the money. Crafting/gathering, random pvp fights around the world is cool. So far it feels enough abilities for pvp.

Its a nice game to relax with after a busy day.
    Last edited by crusadernero; 2021-10-06 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    You won't. There are maybe 10 models for enemies. It doesn't change from 1-60 at all.

You've got:

- Wildlife
    - Zombies
    - Ancients
    - Ghosts

That's it. The same copy & paste stuff like everything else in this game.

One thing that bothers me more right now is the abysmal server performance. It's gotten so much worse in the last days.
    First of all, there's 4 "factions" in the game, excepts Beasts:

1. Ancient
    2. Corrupted
    3. Angry Earth
    4. The Lost

Each of them have different types/models of mobs; each of them are susceptible to different types of damage and you're not going to find 20 different types of mobs in one or 2 low level zones, if anyone expected that.

You saying there's 10 models of enemies in the entire game is blatantly wrong, aside from being extremely ignorant and dismissive.
    Ironically you are the one accusing other people of lying... gets your facts right before you do that.

And it's ONE island! What do you except to find on it?! In one zone elfs in the woods, in one dwarfs in snowy mountains, other with lalafels on sandy beaches...? It's one place with roughly the same climate, not the twilight zone.

I'm not going to go into great lengths to explain how wrong you are because it's quite obvious, for whoever played the game with more than 2 neurons... I just hope nobody listens to you in this thread.

Re server performance: a lot of people moaned about the server capacity and requested an increase; they've done that, there you go.
    Do you think the devs didn't know what is the maximum capacity for optimum gameplay? The performance was absolutely fine with 2000 people, now there's more so ofc it's going to affect gameplay.
    “There is no right or wrong, only consequences.”
    -------------------------------------------------

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Have you done dungeons in NW? I have and its not a plesant or enjoyable experience. Feels more like a big clusterfuck with everyone just crashing into eachother while attacking. Its a clunky experience at best, cant imagine it will be more fun with 10+ people for a raid.

Currently im lvl 28 and so far the game has been great, bar the dungeon experience. Luckily I dont need to do it alot, just finish up quests.

Tbh its worth the money. Crafting/gathering, random pvp fights around the world is cool. So far it feels enough abilities for pvp.

Its a nice game to relax with after a busy day.
    You learn to deal with collusion detection, other games have had it.

However a large selling point is as you say the trading, gathering and crafting this game is fun to play as a group or guild despite it being limited to only 100 slots per guild.

Tip for levelling do townboards and do the crafting ones the higher your crafting is the more experience they give, some hand in gives 3K experience and more plus you can collect a bunch of them finish then up in your main hub and hand them in, often beats waiting for long spawn timers or hunting for something silly like deer anuses.

Not sure why people are bothering that much with our local doomsayer nygel, just remember that a broken clock is right twice a day and even if the game does not succeed it will have nothing to do with his whining masqueraded as -insightfulness-
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    You learn to deal with collusion detection, other games have had it.

However a large selling point is as you say the trading, gathering and crafting this game is fun to play as a group or guild despite it being limited to only 100 slots per guild.

Tip for levelling do townboards and do the crafting ones the higher your crafting is the more experience they give, some hand in gives 3K experience and more plus you can collect a bunch of them finish then up in your main hub and hand them in, often beats waiting for long spawn timers or hunting for something silly like deer anuses.
    Yeah.. Im coming from 16 years with mostly wow, so the collision is so annoying to deal with lol.

Havent done much of townboards yet, maybe I should focus on that. At lvl 28 the game is starting to feel somewhat sluggish, but im in no hurry. The most annoying thing is the pve quests. Im only lvl 28 and they all feel more or less the same. Or the quests were you must go and check 3 towers, come back, go out check 3 towers, come back, go out and check 3 towers. Or the dude with the waterfalls.. go check 3 waterfalls, return q, go out check 3 new waterfalls, return q, go out and check these waterfalls..

I dont expect amazon to deliver new content in 2021, so its not really important for me to reach 60 quickly. Def worth the money though!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
    First of all, there's 4 "factions" in the game, excepts Beasts:

1. Ancient
    2. Corrupted
    3. Angry Earth
    4. The Lost

Each of them have different types/models of mobs; each of them are susceptible to different types of damage and you're not going to find 20 different types of mobs in one or 2 low level zones, if anyone expected that.

You saying there's 10 models of enemies in the entire game is blatantly wrong, aside from being extremely ignorant and dismissive.
    Ironically you are the one accusing other people of lying... gets your facts right before you do that.

And it's ONE island! What do you except to find on it?! In one zone elfs in the woods, in one dwarfs in snowy mountains, other with lalafels on sandy beaches...? It's one place with roughly the same climate, not the twilight zone.

I'm not going to go into great lengths to explain how wrong you are because it's quite obvious, for whoever played the game with more than 2 neurons... I just hope nobody listens to you in this thread.

Re server performance: a lot of people moaned about the server capacity and requested an increase; they've done that, there you go.
    Do you think the devs didn't know what is the maximum capacity for optimum gameplay? The performance was absolutely fine with 2000 people, now there's more so ofc it's going to affect gameplay.
    Each of them have different types / models, yes. But in every zone, in every dungeon, everywhere they're the exact same models. There is zero difference throughout the entire game. Your level 5 type of mob is your level 40 type of boss in a dungeon, just scaled 200% to be bigger. Even got the exact move sets (which is true for every kind of mob in the game). Wolves in the starter zone have the exact same moveset than wolves in the later zones.

You say people should not listen to me, maybe they should listen to the hundreds, thousands of other people who complained about the lack of diversity?

The lack of enemy variety: https://www.reddit.com/r/newworldgam...enemy_variety/

Are there more types of enemies later in the game: https://www.reddit.com/r/newworldgam...r_in_the_game/

Does this game has other enemies than undead/zombies? it gets really boring at this point fighting the same enemy types all over again: https://www.reddit.com/r/newworldgam..._enemies_than/

I could linke dozens of these Reddit posts, I can add some forum posts for additional flavor, if you'd like.

The endboss in the first dungeon is the same as five other mobs in the same dungeon, just twice as big. Has the exact same moveset as well. If you have seen one type of enemy A/B/C, you've seen them all because there is zero difference how they interact with you or how they behave. Level 5 ghost is the same as levle 60 ghost, from visuals to moveset.

Whoever played this game will agree on the sentiment that the enemy variety is massively lacking. If you played the game and are debating this fact that has been pointed out countless times since Alpha, then you're blatantly lying, yes.

Oh and this can be said about weapon and armor models as well. Mostly weapons though. Each weapon type has maybe five different models as of now - Vanilla WoW Anno 2004 offered a bigger variety of weapons in its first 20 levels than New World has in the entire game. If we add the raid weapons at launch, we might have 10 times more diverse and different weapon models - and that was 17 years ago.

Some people here really need to get off their copium about this game, it's getting silly.

New World has some great aspects, the PvE content definitely isn't one of them. 95% of the quest you do don't even come from NPCs, they're townboard quests (or faction quests which are basically townboard quests given you by the same reskinned NPC).
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-10-06 at 10:22 AM.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Havent done much of townboards yet, maybe I should focus on that. At lvl 28 the game is starting to feel somewhat sluggish, but im in no hurry. The most annoying thing is the pve quests. Im only lvl 28 and they all feel more or less the same. Or the quests were you must go and check 3 towers, come back, go out check 3 towers, come back, go out and check 3 towers. Or the dude with the waterfalls.. go check 3 waterfalls, return q, go out check 3 new waterfalls, return q, go out and check these waterfalls..

I dont expect amazon to deliver new content in 2021, so its not really important for me to reach 60 quickly. Def worth the money though!
    The PvE was added later on, so the quests are an afterthought and it shows. We have some 60s but honestly i am only 39 after playing quite a bit as we lost our settlement due to lower levels and login issues i am not in a real rush any more no point to burn yourself out.

Townboards are great experience same goes for faction quests the trick is to get a bunch of them near your other quests and just finish them all up in one go. You can cancel them and it takes 11 minutes to get new ones if you get odd ones, Townboards are also world wide so if you have kill wolfs or boars they can be completed in any region. I believe the world first 60 used townboards to level quicker, the crafting quests also give a bunch of profession experience through their special crafts although the cooking ones are hard to get materials for and not always worth the time. Plus you will want high standing everywhere for faster gathering speed and more storage.

Yes the waterfall quest or kill bear quests you will get soon are anything but fun. I believe there is content underway like an egyptian area of sorts so we will see they got enough bugs to fix for the first months.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

10+ Year Old Account
    holy shit, why would u make an update for the game at 10UTC (12am my time), and servers are still offline after 1.5h.

wow for over 15 years has been doing server restards, all kind of updates and shit like between 3-5 am or whatever, when most ppl sleep.
    and this game is the same, region based. with different servers on different continents, so the same update time should apply.
    the only exception would be EVE Online, where there is one global server, so it must be done some time eventually, also at the high noon for the EU unfortunately xddd
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    Don't be afraid to try out different weapon combos til you find one you like.
    So try and figure out a style you prefer.
    I love bow/rapier.
    Bow for opener then rapier as they come in.
    Lots of playstyles so go with what's fun for you.
    Also, use dodge and block.
    Proper use of this is kinda like the diff in wow's clickers/binders.
    And yes as mentioned, probs best to keep things leveled as you level, otherwise you come across stuff you can't pickup.
    It has different animations and stuff than wow so think more Assassins Creed style but once you get used to it and dodge etc can be fun.
    Oh and don't forget to make camps when out in the wild for respawns.
    Ah, thanks to the advise! Enjoying it so far in my Twitch Prime Pirate getup...

Playing the game on medium settings though... I REALLY need to get myself a new PC, current one being from late 2013 >_<;

Quick question -- the Zone (Monarch's Bluff I think it's called) upgrades, I've been putting points into the Storage upgrade... is the storage not shared in other territories? What happens to my upgraded space there? Mats take up a lot of inventory space, so was handy to throw them all into the storage that still counts towards crafting without having to directly have it on my character.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2021-10-06 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Ah, thanks to the advise! Enjoying it so far in my Twitch Prime Pirate getup...

Playing the game on medium settings though... I REALLY need to get myself a new PC, current one being from late 2013 >_<;

Quick question -- the Zone (Monarch's Bluff I think it's called) upgrades, I've been putting points into the Storage upgrade... is the storage not shared in other territories? What happens to my upgraded space there? Mats take up a lot of inventory space, so was handy to throw them all into the storage that still counts towards crafting without having to directly have it on my character.
    Storage is not shared between towns, if the towns are next to each other and owned by the same faction, people in that faction can transfer between the storage directly(IIRC), but otherwise no, you need to manually visit each town to get the stuff from storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    Storage is not shared between towns, if the towns are next to each other and owned by the same faction, people in that faction can transfer between the storage directly(IIRC), but otherwise no, you need to manually visit each town to get the stuff from storage.
    Bleh...

Thanks for responding quick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    holy shit, why would u make an update for the game at 10UTC (12am my time), and servers are still offline after 1.5h.

wow for over 15 years has been doing server restards, all kind of updates and shit like between 3-5 am or whatever, when most ppl sleep.
    and this game is the same, region based. with different servers on different continents, so the same update time should apply.
    the only exception would be EVE Online, where there is one global server, so it must be done some time eventually, also at the high noon for the EU unfortunately xddd
    2.5h in, and servers are still offline

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    2.5h in, and servers are still offline
    They took the servers down so they don't have to worry about them breaking while the developers are off playing the BF2042 beta that dropped a few hours ago
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

The guy who gifted me the game on steam is level 24 now while I've stayed 15. He's still convinced the game has a deep economy and gaining control of a city let's you fight big raids of players.

He's never played wow.

Meanwhile, the crappy auction house has every item from 1-15 less than 10 golds, every craftable item nets you the profit of going out and killing 5 mobs.

No variety so far, nothing like feeling compelled to play this MMO with the friends who bought it for me, to show the gratitude, has made me miss WoW so much. Nobody who approved this current iteration of the game has ever played an MMO.

I would rather be WORKING than playing this game. At least the time spent driving to work at 55mph is a bigger thrill than having to auto walk across zones that all look the same to reach my next objective of left clicking on a skeleton then running back.

This is a bad game with decent graphics thats going to be spending the money to receive good reviews.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2021-10-06 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    The guy who gifted me the game on steam is level 24 now while I've stayed 15. He's still convinced the game has a deep economy and gaining control of a city let's you fight big raids of players.

He's never played wow.

Meanwhile, the crappy auction house has every item from 1-15 less than 10 golds, every craftable item nets you the profit of going out and killing 5 mobs.

No variety so far, nothing like feeling compelled to play this MMO with the friends who bought it for me, to show the gratitude, has made me miss WoW so much. Nobody who approved this current iteration of the game has ever played an MMO.

I would rather be WORKING than playing this game.
    It has been known for a good while that this MMORPG is very niche and wouldn't appeal the same crowd as, say, Retail World of Warcraft, in general.

Too bad your friend forked over the money and you are not enjoying. I'd repay it back, at some point, on a game he wants and you are able to gift.

gaining control of a city let's you fight big raids of players.
    There's a LOT wrong with New World, but the faction wars are one of the actual good points. They're way more involved than just gaining control of a city, there's a whole process you need to go through, and you only get to pick the day of the war, whereas whoever you're challenging gets to pick the time of day, so they end up with the advantage of picking a time good for their faction/guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
    Slightly off topic, but just because it's one island doesn't mean it need to be one climate. Hawaii's big island famously has 8 of the 13 climate zones and seems a comparable size to Aeternum. So they definitely could have payed around a bit and kept it "realistic" (as realistic as it can be with zombies and magic etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    It has been known for a good while that this MMORPG is very niche and wouldn't appeal the same crowd as, say, Retail World of Warcraft, in general.

Too bad your friend forked over the money and you are not enjoying. I'd repay it back, at some point, on a game he wants and you are able to gift.
    I know, I honestly feel bad, as I was excited for this game and am used to enduring the pain of mmo ups and downs as a veteran of ICC and SoO content droughts.

This is just a baffling release for 2021. Without the top notch graphics this could have been a contender for early grind rpgs like EverQuest or Ultima. There has got to be some gated content bullshittery happening here, they must have half the game behind patch contents finished they are holding on to. There's no way this is a completed game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know, I honestly feel bad, as I was excited for this game and am used to enduring the pain of mmo ups and downs as a veteran of ICC and SoO content droughts.

This is just a baffling release for 2021. Without the top notch graphics this could have been a contender for early grind rpgs like EverQuest or Ultima. There has got to be some gated content bullshittery happening here, they must have half the game behind patch contents finished they are holding on to. There's no way this is a completed game.
    i heard what we have now is exactly 18% of content they have in store for us, whatever that means.
    just remember, NW doesnt require ur active subscribtion, which is great, so u can come back to it anytime