Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Games are more than their systems for people. NW isn't my cup of tea and I know it's chances of ever evolving into a raid sim are slim to none, but just because other games offer the same systems (but better versions) doesn't mean they offer the same mix or total experience.

At least NW seems unique in this regard.

Not familiar with any other swashbuckler era "fantasy" mmo with (slow ass, basic ass) action combat, the ability to (fucking mindlessly grind metric tons of mats so you can) craft the most powerful gear in the game, with a focus on (the dumbest possible type, aka zerg rushing) world pvp.
    You would be correct about people liking it even though it's trash (I also enjoy some shit games) if it weren't for the fact that there are people in this exact thread that have shit on wow for having to do 30 minutes of the maw every once and awhile but are swallowing Amazon's big fucking load.

Newworld is basically if wow had garbage combat, 3 buttons and ONLY korthia to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Trbn View Post
    but it's not unique
    it's just bad version of albion online
    Looks very pretty though and the ambient sound design is excellent. Unfortunately the combat sound, especially for magic, is awful.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Got my fire staff to level 11 before I got annoyed at how meh the spells felt and sounded - hatchet feels far more visceral at least
    Yeah, it's so funny how bad Fire and Life Staff skills sound, it's really a massive let down compared to the majestic woodcutting or mining sounds:

I mean that Meteor Shower sound (2:03) is laughably bad. Light and Heavy attacks sound incredibly silly as well. Someone said they sound like a Chihuahua barking and now I can't unhear it.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    why, oh why are they doing server maintenance in the middle of the fucking day. explain this to me.

another 12 am server shutdown. EU is so fucked because of this. i understand this is some UTC bullshit, but why not make it regional (as the game is) and do it at night for each respective region
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    why, oh why are they doing server maintenance in the middle of the fucking day. explain this to me.

another 12 am server shutdown. EU is so fucked because of this. i understand this is some UTC bullshit, but why not make it regional (as the game is) and do it at night for each respective region
    They probably only have server staff in one region, thus they're doing maintenance at a time when it's convenient for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

10+ Year Old Account
    and where the fuck is that team located? The start of downtime was 3am in California, where the development team is in orange county.

plus its the EU carrying this games popularity with highest number of players.

and again HOW does it take these devs 5 hours to do a minor patch? there's no halloween event either. is it just one guy working on the game now?

i swear to god...
    Last edited by Proskill; 2021-10-13 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    You would be correct about people liking it even though it's trash (I also enjoy some shit games) if it weren't for the fact that there are people in this exact thread that have shit on wow for having to do 30 minutes of the maw every once and awhile but are swallowing Amazon's big fucking load.

Newworld is basically if wow had garbage combat, 3 buttons and ONLY korthia to do.
    Hey - in essence, MMORPGs should play the same. We level up all sort of things, we press buttons to kill baddies, we group with others and so on.

You are right that alot of people here shit on wow while praising the same stuff in another game. I think a huge reason for that is pure fatigue of playing wow. I think a whole lot of people have played wow while they shouldnt have. Its like alot of people have been in a bad relationship with wow for years without breaking up and stop playing lol. MMORPGs are supposed to be played alot, but I think far to many think it should be played 24/7 all week, all year.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    MMORPGs are supposed to be played alot, but I think far to many think it should be played 24/7 all week, all year.
    They dont, its how they started playing though.

Its many different aspects but as two examples.

The not so skilled players take longer to do things therefor there is this delusion of content, when in reality it has been mostly the same since forever, this is a trend i noticed with the last 4 expansions, the complains start coming pretty much always around the 4th-5month of any expansion launch, cause the things they are supposed to farm the first month, takes the majority 4-5 months, and eventually you either raid, or quit the game, thats how the game is.

Then you have the new players combined with low skill, that start with the casual things, leveling, trying to understand what the hell are all these systems, transmog run, mounts, PvP, random quests, that were relevant 5 years ago, or are generally irrelevant to the game.

So they do play 24/7 365 days a year, because they dont know the actual game, and it has so many things to discover and learn and do, but eventually, even if it takes them 5 months, 1 year, 3 years, or whatever time to discover what they like doing, eventually it runs out, and they keep wanting that feeling back.

I have seen it multiple times cause of net cafe culture and a lot of different people of the younger generation starting WoW, spending up to a year of playing the game, and doing transmog runs and irrelevant running around before they realize there is more to it, some rise up to the game and start the progression game/getting better, and others simply keep going at it for a bit longer, trying to get those last mounts that havent dropped, and eventually fade out of the game for the next game of their generation thats famous at the time, or with their friends.

People dont seem to want to accept that you are literally supposed to

a)Level to max.

b)Gear Progress through dungeons.

c)Do the content that will provide you , your endgear (GEAR BEING THE IMPORTANT PART OF THE SENTENCE) game goal.

D)Quit or wait for the game to go back to C, aka patch.

E)Repeat D.

F)Go back to A cause expansion released.

And everything else is simply just irrelevant content to mix in some RPG aspect.

Its like PUBG as example, the goal is to survive and be the last when the circle closes, how you do it is your thing, but because you can drive the cars around, it doesnt make it a racing game because it has cars, the start and the end of the game is one and the same.

People dont seem to want to accept this for WoW, because they didnt start doing that when they started the game.
    Last edited by potis; 2021-10-13 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post

It's funny though cause this trash is more fun than WoW. WoW is decomposed trash.

and where the fuck is that team located? The start of downtime was 3am in California, where the development team is in orange county.

plus its the EU carrying this games popularity with highest number of players.

and again HOW does it take these devs 5 hours to do a minor patch? there's no halloween event either. is it just one guy working on the game now?

i swear to god...
    Because most people are working or in school at 12am and if they take 5 hours that means they finish at 17:00 when people get home from said work. So they can then play during actual prime time which is in the evening.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Because most people are working or in school at 12am and if they take 5 hours that means they finish at 17:00 when people get home from said work. So they can then play during actual prime time which is in the evening.
    thanks, captain obvious. my question why dont they do it at night still stands

They are doing it at night since its 3 am in the US when the servers went to maint, they do all server maint at the same time and 5 hours gives them time to do everything required.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    They are doing it at night since its 3 am in the US when the servers went to maint, they do all server maint at the same time and 5 hours gives them time to do everything required.
    Plus, it gives (some of) the EU players time to clean their room, do their laundry, run some errands... once a week.

Think positive!
    “There is no right or wrong, only consequences.”
    -------------------------------------------------

So I made it to 26 yesterday and did Amrine.

Overall pretty fun.

That said, I've pretty much had it with hoofing it everywhere. New World has great graphics, reasonable combat and interesting trade skills, but with no prospect of ever getting mounts or better travel abilities, that seals the deal for me.

I'm sure the walking simulator purists will pile on with their usual, "Oh you just want to teleport everywhere instantly" routine. But the bottom line is my time is limited and I just don't enjoy spending it running from place to place.

I'll give it another month or two because I want to see the rest of the zones, but after that, I'm gonna put it on the back burner and wait and see what happens.

The one saving grace is there is no subscription fee, so I can just pop in whenever I want. Maybe if enough people vote with their wallets, some improvements can be made to traveling.

How in the world a modern MMO, backed by the largest company in the world, put so little thought or effort into travel is beyond me.

Even just reducing the fast travel azoth costs and reducing the Inn Recall to 15 minutes would probably be enough for me.
    Last edited by pahbi; 2021-10-13 at 01:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    again, i know that, and thats just fucking stupid, only with americans in mind, while WoW does the maintenance AT NIGHT for each region.

ok, guess thats the point where i stop arguing about this. its just retarded and unfair.

Because post-prime time EU night is prime time US.
    This time is past US night prime time and before EU prime time.

Why don't they do the regions separately? how the fuck should I know.
    Why not 2 hours earlier? how the fuck should I know.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    So I made it to 26 yesterday and did Amrine.

Overall pretty fun.

That said, I've pretty much had it with hoofing it everywhere. New World has great graphics, reasonable combat and interesting trade skills, but with no prospect of ever getting mounts or better travel abilities, that seals the deal for me.

I'm sure the walking simulator purists will pile on with their usual, "Oh you just want to teleport everywhere instantly" routine. But the bottom line is my time is limited and I just don't enjoy spending it running from place to place.

I'll give it another month or two because I want to see the rest of the zones, but after that, I'm gonna put it on the back burner and wait and see what happens.

The one saving grace is there is no subscription fee, so I can just pop in whenever I want. Maybe if enough people vote with their wallets, some improvements can be made to traveling.

How in the world a modern MMO, backed by the largest company in the world, put so little thought or effort into travel is beyond me.

Even just reducing the fast travel azoth costs and reducing the Inn Recall to 15 minutes would probably be enough for me.
    Amrine is fun, but simple, the second dungeon you get to try Starstone is far more interesting.

As for the hoofing everywhere, I don't know what you refer to. For me by that time I was already porting all over the place, I'd have enough Azoth to spare, even wasting some with overcapping. I'd just run somewhere once, the teleport "portals" are clearly noticeable from afar, a slight detour there and done.

I might be more forgiving with the running through the woods since I like stumbling into resources instead of following a farm guide or searching for them outside the game and do a straight line to them.

...Maybe if enough people vote with their wallets, some improvements can be made to traveling.
    As in, people should not buy the game...? How would they know what's what then?
    If they know, it means they bought the game already, there's no subscription on it so you stop paying it until something you want gets implemented.

This is part of the system, it integrates into the mechanics of the game.

Every zone has at least 2 points where you can teleport. If your faction owns the zones, the teleport is cheap. If not, it's an incentive for players to do PvP and fight for control of those zones.
    The cost is also highly dependent of how many things you carry in your bags. If there would be no cost, the farming resources would become trivial as everyone could teleport everywhere and gather resources very fast, without the need to unload too often.
    Knowing you will be running out of Azoth also pushes you to go out there, do invasions and other activities which provide azoth. Also having items with % chance to give azoth helps a lot.
    You then have houses which you can buy and if you get them strategically in different cities, you have good teleport opportunities. Resetting the cooldown on these teleports doesn't cost much azoth if you don't do it very often.
    All this are in addition to your normal "hearthstone".

I believe mounts will come, once they introduce more zones into the game; it's only logical.

Undefended invasions onto a settlement downgrade you crafting stations, always. If people don't work together and repel these, it will take a long time for the settlement to advance.
    And is no one curious how will a settlement look when it's fully upgraded to a Citadel?! This will take a considerable amount of time to reach, involving a lot of money and group work.

Personally, I believe that there is more to the game than meets the eye. A lot of people are looking at it just from one perspective and often this is a very shallow one.
    This doesn't mean that the game is perfect by any means, still needs a lot of work but if if you connect all the dots together, things are not as simple as they seem at the first glance.

How nice would it be if the majority of players playing the game in the long run (after the initial few weeks/months of triage) are the mature, patient, common sense people that don't play 24/7...?! Would it perhaps make it the least toxic MMO out there?... one can only hope.
    “There is no right or wrong, only consequences.”
    -------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
    As in, people should not buy the game...? How would they know what's what then?
    If they know, it means they bought the game already, there's no subscription on it so you stop paying it until something you want gets implemented.
    Continued income relies on the in game store. No purchases == voting with your wallet.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've played about 5 hours so far, no queue, I just started this week. The graphics are beautiful, the combat feels snappy (for the most part), and professions are fun, if a bit grindy. The world is really captivating. Two things so far that I absolutely HATE - the encumbering system (you can't even hearth if you're encumbered, WTF?) - it feels like an unnecessary annoyance. Also, the fast travel system is too expensive at least at low levels, and turns a lot of the game into a walking simulator. I can't comment on the end game obviously - but if they fix these things, they will retain a LOT of people I think.