10+ Year Old Account

Build of the Month - October 2016: The Better Version

I've been contemplating this for a while, but after seeing AMD CPU/Mobo build recommendations in October 2016, it seemed like a good opportunity to present some alternative build ideas for similar prices, with better performance, and more upgrade potential. There are also variations to the higher end builds which funnel precious dollars to possible performance choke points (CPU vs GPU). The Unicorn System is designed to utilize a 1440 resolution monitor as the primary, while the lower three will perform the best at 1080.

Here is what I would put together for my customers, given similar budgets:

October 2016 - Puppy System

October 2016 - Dolphin System

October 2016 - Narwhal System

October 2016 - Unicorn System

Signature and Avatar masterfully crafted by Eruionmel

10+ Year Old Account
    That's something you'll need to contact chaud about. There was a reasoning for the FX CPUs, think it was along the lines of it being fine so long as people are overclocking, which is... well, arguable.

I do want to note that you don't need to have so many different types of cases and PSUs. Not everything needs to increase in price when going up a tier. PSU you'd rather go with the CXM 450/550 for Puppy/Dolphin instead of the evga one.
    Also this one, same price (after rebate) and a billion times better (ignore the exaggeration, maybe) for the Unicorn cause reasons. Even then it's overkill.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NN6...pply-ssr-750td

I'd also avoid AIO coolers especially Asetek OEM ones that aren't really going change so much in terms of performance.

In general these are all guides and there's always going to be variance on what people want and if they want help they should post here asking questions. The issue and always will be many types of different factors and you should also realize that not every build needs to be a Micro ATX build. There's pros and cons just even in the case size. Mid ATX tends to be the good mid ground for working with beginners which is what these should suit towards to and has decent expansion capability than a Micro ATX.

There are a few things I'd change in the build of the month, but it's nothing drastic or anything and has more to do with swapping out PSUs (600B, HEC OEM is pretty ehhhhh for example), include SSDs for difference capacity options at the same price point along with higher performance at the same capacity.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-10-11 at 06:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand there as many ways to build a computer as there are variety of parts; mostly due to personal preference rather than pure performance numbers.

As far as recommending the MATX form factor, it really comes down to personal preference; I personally like a smaller system footprint, especially since that form factor still supports SLI and other full sized components. There is no reason performance-wise, other than case air flow, to choose a physically larger system. In regard to power supplies, I typically use the Gold or Platinum EVGA models due to the superior warranty, energy savings, and voltage stability when pushing overclocks in higher end builds (mostly because I have yet to experience a failure or unpredictable performance). In regard to AIO coolers, I find that while there are severe diminishing returns on cooling performance, liquid coolers tend to be quieter and lend themselves to more effective case air flow, if properly positioned. In regard to SSD's, I will not build any system without one, given the price to performance they offer, regardless of that system's overall budget. In regard to cases, there is a certain amount of visual prestige users expect when the value of the hardware contained within demands that same level of prestige; the higher the performance, the more flashy the case (this has been consistent for most of my customers, although there are exceptions, who do not care about the physical appearance of the system so long as it performs well). In regard to GPU selection, I try to utilize roughly 1/3 of the entire build budget on the video card, in an effort to avoid wasting money on an overly powerful component not being fully utilized by the other hardware.

Again, most of this is due to personal preference and customer feedback, and we all have our go-to components in which we feel confident.

A few things I have learned through experience though:

WD Caviar drives have a history of failure ( I have one from a customer who insisted on using that model in RMA right now, after having the product for only four months)
    2400 MHz memory bandwidth can be acquired for a negligible premium over 2133 MHz. (don't turn down free performance)
    GTX 1080 GPU can only be fully utilized with a 4k monitor, or a 1440 at higher refresh rates, which cost just as much as a 4k in many cases. (don't pay for wasted performance potential, unless it's temporary)

Signature and Avatar masterfully crafted by Eruionmel

10+ Year Old Account
    I noted Mid ATX is because it's easier to work with. The more area to work with in general is better for beginner builders. That is however also why I said if people want specific things they should post here or whatever. These builds aren't tailored for everyone.

Just a few things.
    You should never be brand loyal to anything. Deal with the products individually instead of cause it's from EVGA.
    G2/P2/T2 are the Super Flower Leadex model, the ones you've used, have issues with hold up time and the voltage drops out of spec before the PWR_OK signal is off, which actually is bad for your components.
    I've had this post about EVGA and power supplies before, but to reiterate. EVGA is literally just flooding the market like how Corsair used to do before cleaning up their act.

And this is the SeaSonic Prime that you turned down. This is without the need of in cable caps gimmick for this kind of performance and build.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=481
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=487

Just to quote myself, again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Hell no that's a terrible idea. Never ever blindly trust a 'rebadger' of multiple OEMs. If you purchase from an OEM's retail line at least you can get a general idea of what the build is. SeaSonic isn't god like PSU manufacturer, but they're one of the more consistent OEMs. Delta and Flextronics are way better, but good luck with prices. (Antec HCP / Corsair AXi respectively for example).
    OEMs you purchase from, SeaSonic, FSP, Andyson and such you get an idea of what you get from their overall profile. Corsair for example however has almost every single of their PSU as custom design now bar AX760/860 which are SeaSonic ones (they don't allow custom) despite that they're either being manufactured by other OEMs, like CWT, Great Wall or Flextronics. Be Quiet recently joined that with their new PSU line with their own custom design but have FSP as the OEM.

Why I especially state blindly trusting EVGA is a bad idea is going to be noted below...

Depending on models and EVGA has a lot of em, and a lot of garbage.
    So the SeaSonic models in EVGA's lineup are the GS and PS. GS 550/650 are a different platform than GS850/1050 which uses the KM3S platform. PS1000 uses the XP2S platform.
    Now... here's where it get's dumb.
    EVGA's N1, W, B, BD, BQ, are all HEC. HEC is almost garbage tier OEM. They're workable and serviceable I guess but HEC is not consistent at all. Unlike CWT at least CWT can roll out the expensive equipment like they do for Corsair, HEC however does not really do that...

EVGA's G/G1/B1/GQ are FSP platforms. They're not bad, they're not great, FSP soldering and consistency are however are pretty good and clean.

B2/G2/P2/T2 are all SuperFlower platforms. The Leadex Platform (G2/P2/T2) are EVGA's flagship, so to speak. Surface performance and build generally are good, the caps in cable is not a personal favorite and would prefer to avoid it but it's not the worst thing ever. The issue however is the hold up time that they have. When power gets cut off or whatever for your PSU, there's a time in which it can hold on to an amount of charge for your PSU in the case of a brownout or power flicker in general it doesn't immediately shut down. Leadex platform has poor hold up performance so it can't reach the 17ms ATX spec. That is not the problem though, the problem is that in order to increase hold up time for the Leadex platform, Super Flower opted instead to fix it, is to fake it. Aris (psu reviewer) recently (well a few months, whatever) found that the Power OK signal, the signal that tells your motherboard that the voltage is within specs to run, does not turn off before the 12V rail goes out of spec, instead it turns off after. This stresses your hardware and potentially damaging it. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's an unnecessary risk that I would rather not have. This is a practice that Sirfa also employed for a lot of their PSUs also.
    As for AIOs being quieter, no, they're actually typically louder while not actually performing all that much better if at all.
    Custom loop is a completely different thing, and that's due to a number of factors.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...280_QDC/7.html
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-10-12 at 02:58 AM.