Worth boosting a Druid? Feedback from level 110's appreciated.

Hi all,

I'm a bit late to the expansion, but I have some time the coming weeks to explore Legion (finally!). I did explore the class changes before launch on my main(s): Priest and Warlock, and I was not really amazed with the changes - especially Disc Priest.

Having bought the expansion, I still have my free Level 100 boost. I'm now considering on which class to spend it, and I'm leaning towards Druid (a Horde char this time). I've never played this faction or class before.

I'm mainly interested in PVP healing, but will also do Heroic/Mythic dungeons and Casual raiding. I will probably take Resto and Balance as my main specs.

My questions to you level 110 druids is, considering the information above, would it be worth spending the boost on a fresh Horde druid and making it my main eventually, both in PVP and PVE?

I realize it's always a personal thing, but thanks in advance for any input and experiences.

Deleted
    From a PvE perspective resto feels good in both raids and m+ but it depends on your style of healing and what you enjoy. I think that PTR is open so you might want to try it there or at least take a look at some people either doing raids/mythic+ from a resto perspective before you decide.

I'm new to the druid class aswell, and what attracted me the most was the chance of doing every role with a single class.

I struggled with the proactive healing at the beginning of my healer adventure in heroic dungeons, but when you start knowing every encounter it gets easier and easier to the point you can also HoT everyone and switch to cat form to dps. The talents are interesting and you can choose to become a tank-focused healer (in dungeons) or a raid healer with a lot of mobility and hots running on everyone. I ended up picking the balance spec since we had a lot of healers in our guild already, and it's even funnier than restoration.

PvP wise I don't know much about what's going on, but balance is middle of the pack in dps rankings and restoration druids are top 1 with shamans for raids.

It's been 3 months now and I'm still enjoying it very much, the class feels great, artifacts look cool (well, resto's one ain't that sexy), the class hall is nice and pleasant.
    I don't regret my choice. Plus I can always switch to tanking or feral if I ever get bored of doing the thunderchicken.

PvE : both resto and guardian are strong, balance and feral have mechanical issues that render them average overall (feral is strong for single target or cleave)
    PvP : resto seems the most common arena choice for healers, balance is mostly unplayable, feral is fun in BG or unrated (no idea for ranked arena), and no idea for guardian

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium01 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a bit late to the expansion, but I have some time the coming weeks to explore Legion (finally!). I did explore the class changes before launch on my main(s): Priest and Warlock, and I was not really amazed with the changes - especially Disc Priest.

Having bought the expansion, I still have my free Level 100 boost. I'm now considering on which class to spend it, and I'm leaning towards Druid (a Horde char this time). I've never played this faction or class before.

I'm mainly interested in PVP healing, but will also do Heroic/Mythic dungeons and Casual raiding. I will probably take Resto and Balance as my main specs.

My questions to you level 110 druids is, considering the information above, would it be worth spending the boost on a fresh Horde druid and making it my main eventually, both in PVP and PVE?

I realize it's always a personal thing, but thanks in advance for any input and experiences.
    Druid has always been awesome; particularly so the resto druid.

I'm not biased at all, I swear!

druid class hall has a teleport spell and its in broken isles. i do not think other classes have this same quality of life
    There's also nothing stopping Blizzard from resurrecting both Arthas and Archimonde and turning them into super saiyans so that they can fuse and fight Sargeras

I play a lot more casually and hardly ever do PvP. What they have indirectly done to druids with the spec-change change and artifacts makes hybrids extremely playable. You are much better off sticking to a single hybrid than trying to play several alts with different mainspecs. In the past I always played a prot warrior, a resto shaman, and whatever I fancied that month as dps. For WoD I felt I would not have time to keep up with playing multiple characters and wanted to take a stab at removing my altoholism, so I rolled a druid and levelled that one up to 90 to be ready for WoD. In the end, I still had a prot war and my druid, but it worked out so well that I now only have druids (I have one of each faction though).

Gear synergies are slightly better with balance+resto than guardian+resto, but with the way the artifact power system works, it is fairly easy to maintain 3, or even 4, artifacts at a playable level. Much easier than gearing an alt for sure.

Main thing to look out for while levelling if you want to play both specs on your way to 110 is relics and trinkets from quests. If you dual-spec on your way up you need to keep an eye on the longer quest lines. As that is where most of the relics come from. The rewards scale with your level, so never complete one just before dinging, unless you absolutely need the follow-up quest. Also make sure you check your artifacts for which one needs an upgrade the most, as changing loot spec before turning in the quests allows you to shuffle through the various options. And sometimes one of the other specs gives you better options even for a different artifact.

Ive been playing resto for almost 10 years now. In Legion, resto feels great and I am having a lot of fun with that spec. Havent been too much into pvp, so I wouldnt be able to tell. However in PvE it's fantastic. Lots of fun. Go try it out

I have just gotten back into WoW and boosted my druid. I have really enjoyed the healing (PVE) and you can use the other specs for leveling/questing/farming when you need to. Has been a lot of fun!

This is probably the best that the druid has ever felt, imo. All four specs are fairly good. Guardian and resto are both fantastic in raids and mythic+, while feral and balance have some oddities that make them good here and there. For pvp, resto is one of the top healers, besides shamans. I wouldn't recommend feral or balance in arena. Feral is fun in bgs.

You should be able to use the new Blizzard "class trial" feature (I think it's called) to get a level 100 of any class (or classes) and play through an extended demo experience as a way to try out the class before you commit your boost to it. Should be an option on the character select screen to create a 100 trial character.

Druid is and always has been great, so you'll almost certainly find a spec that you enjoy.

Druid is in a really good place.

Guardians are the second best tank in the game.
    Restoration plays like reverse affliction, but is damn strong if you like that playstyle.
    Balance got some buffs and does crazy AOE.
    Feral has always been a high effort class, and that is still true, but it does very high single target damage.

Guardians are amazing, quite powerful when it comes to tanking raids and mythic.
    Resto not sure, tried it a bit but well, can't focus on 3rd OS
    Balance is ok but nothing special, no where near as good as it was in WoD, AOE is weak, compared to other classes that can push more than 2mil on trash, perhaps it gets better when you get 3rd golden trait, not much mobility due to long cast times but still powerful dots. But still my main spec since forever

If you love tanking or healing, boost away. If you are in for the DPS experience, I advice you to seek out another class, for Feral and Balance are in a pretty meh spot right now. I haven't played feral much so I will refrain from commenting on it, but balance is a smorgasbord of questionable developer decisions. First of all, as a balance druid, you have NO AOE spell incorporated by default. If you want to aoe down little spiders that a mage kills in a second, you have to Sunfire them. After that, you either wait for the DoT ticks to finish them off, or you build up 50 astral power to use for Starfall, a weak aoe whose only purpose is to empower your already weakened dots. Isn't that the best design ever? I believe every class has a form of AOE they can use right off the bat, but as balance, you gotta work for it

Also, did you know that all of the balance spells do more damage when you are in the restoration spec by default? The developers were hard at work at finding out how to figure out the balance mastery, so they came up with the most obvious and disastrous solution. Have your spells hit like a wet noodle, so they can hit for acceptable amounts when empowered by the starsurge buff. Good call right there, blizzard.

Oh, and I won't even mention the lvl 100 talent row. It's the most unintuitive of all druid specs by a far shot.

Resto, however, is incredibly fun to play. I made it my main spec for this very reason and it is incredibly clever in its design. There are a myriad of options for you to customize your healing through talents and rotations during boss fights, and I enjoy this a great deal.

Guardian is also in a very good position, with very interesting playstyle. You can choose your mitigation buff type, whether you want to increase your armor or your magical resistance for a short while, or even both if you wish! Awesomely fun

Deleted
    Balance doing crazy aoe? Ye, sure. What do other spec do then? Crazy insane op aoe? Balance is sitting on the bench in raids. Average single target and below average aoe (look at dps charts if you don't belive me). The only chance to get in a decent raiding guild is if you have the legendary helmet. In mythic+ we are so mediocre. Many classes have much better baseline utility and way better aoe (both the burst and the damage). We have to spec for utility (example force of nature), but then we we lose dps.

Bears and Trees deliver premium level of performances.

I'd step away from Ferals as it's quite underwhelming when it comes to M+ dungeons unless it's above +9 with thrash legendary. It's a bit complicated with the best talents and despite it packs quite the potential for anything but AoE, it's hard to translate all the hassle into satisfying numbers.

Balance imho it's in an awkward spot: in my raiding group, altho he's the worst performer by quite a lot (his mistakes and the spec issues) we don't want to sit him out because his innervates to our H.Pally basically make our tanks close to be immortal being.
    How much DPS is worth immortal tanks with 0 mana issues holy pala babysitting them?

Quote Originally Posted by MaddyLif3 View Post
    This is probably the best that the druid has ever felt, imo. All four specs are fairly good. Guardian and resto are both fantastic in raids and mythic+, while feral and balance have some oddities that make them good here and there. For pvp, resto is one of the top healers, besides shamans. I wouldn't recommend feral or balance in arena. Feral is fun in bgs.
    Feral is pretty strong in arena

Not sure what arena rating you're playing at (although you're new to Druid I'm not sure how new you are to rated pvp) but at higher levels especially resto is near the back of the pack for healers. I'd say it's something like Rsham > MW > Hpal > RDruid >= Disc > Hpriest (speaking 3s ofc, can't really speak for 2s since it more highly depends on comp)