Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    didn't someone already try this in the 70's? some kind of offshore based country on some abandoned oil derrick or something?
    Yeah but it was within the territorial water of another nation, so they came with an army and got rid of it. There is only one unclaimed land region, and it's Marie Byrd's land in Antarctica.

Otherwise you have international water and space.

Neat concept, but seems in total violation of the Space Treaty which I'm sure whatever country they're all from now follows.

EDIT: Just refreshed myself, it seems the Outer Space Treaty is more about claiming celestial bodies and seems mainly focused only military purposes.
    Last edited by Ryme; 2016-10-14 at 08:09 AM.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    Anarchy does not work.
    Anarchy does work but only if the population is small and spread out. It wont last though as when some households become successful, they'll get more people wanting to come and work there ruled by the original family and eventually will evolve into bigger settlements and then cities.

Constitutional anarchy or a council or corporations can work though. Basically same as anarchy but there are bigger corporations around and you want a service, say police protection, you pay one to provide it to you. If they're not doing a good job at it, the words spreads and people will just go to a competing company.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Anarchy does work but only if the population is small and spread out. It wont last though as when some households become successful, they'll get more people wanting to come and work there ruled by the original family and eventually will evolve into bigger settlements and then cities.

Constitutional anarchy or a council or corporations can work though. Basically same as anarchy but there are bigger corporations around and you want a service, say police protection, you pay one to provide it to you. If they're not doing a good job at it, the words spreads and people will just go to a competing company.
    It still falls apart pretty damn quick at scales larger than, say, a mid-sized town. Such communes fall to pressures either from within (assholes using the relative lack of gv't regulation to enforce what is in reality mob rule) or from without (someone sees the opportunity and just bulldozes all over your precious anarchistic utopia, if not a neighbor state than another big fish like a corporation/company/mafia). The last time in history this actually worked was for Slavic/East Germanic tribes that governed themselves with a sort of veche/thing assembly of free men. Ofc these proto-states were steamrolled into extinction by the Holy Roman (which is to say, German) Empire or incorporated into what is now East Euro countries like Poland etc.

Sad but true. States are a thing for a reason.
    Last edited by mmoc4588e6de4f; 2016-10-14 at 10:48 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rurts View Post
    It still falls apart pretty damn quick at scales larger than, say, a mid-sized town. Such communes fall to pressures either from within (assholes using the relative lack of gv't regulation to enforce what is in reality mob rule) or from without (someone sees the opportunity and just bulldozes all over your precious anarchistic utopia, if not a neighbor state than another big fish like a corporation/company/mafia). The last time in history this actually worked was for Slavic/East Germanic tribes that governed themselves with a sort of veche/thing assembly of free men. Ofc these proto-states were steamrolled into extinction by the Holy German Empire or incorporated into what is now East Euro countries like Poland etc.

Sad but true. States are a thing for a reason.
    Did you even read my post? That was exactly what I said.. and you completely ignored the part about a more modern version of anarchy with competing corporations providing these services to people willing to pay for them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Did you even read my post? That was exactly what I said.. and you completely ignored the part about a more modern version of anarchy with competing corporations providing these services to people willing to pay for them.
    I did ignore that latter part completely, yes. Mostly because nothing like that has ever existed, or is likely to exist. My comment was about "council" or "constitutional" anarchy - these proto-states were mooore or less that, if some historians are to be believed.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    didn't someone already try this in the 70's? some kind of offshore based country on some abandoned oil derrick or something?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

15+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm i doubt that when Europeans were settling in America their governments were tolerant towards them establishing their own countries.

So yes, while the UN forbids it. I dont think that anyone can do much about Martians declaring independence once Mars is colonized and a large number of people move into it. That is if they fins a way to live independantly and be self-reliant.

They would still be dependant on earth for supplies. So they will have to ally with a nation here. And there goes the independence once again.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    They would still be dependant on earth for supplies. So they will have to ally with a nation here. And there goes the independence once again.
    Total independence is very rare and trade relations are very common. But yes, a space nation should not rely on anything. except it can befriend a lot of earthly allies.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Total independence is very rare and trade relations are very common. But yes, a space nation should not rely on anything. except it can befriend a lot of earthly allies.
    What can they offer in return? They would have to be much more technologically advanced than any nation on earth if we're talking about asteroid mining for example to have leverage, and that's very unlikely. If an eath nation can mine for asteroids just fine then where's the need for this space nation?

15+ Year Old Account
    What can they offer in return? They would have to be much more technologically advanced than any nation on earth if we're talking about asteroid mining for example to have leverage, and that's very unlikely. If an eath nation can mine for asteroids just fine then where's the need for this space nation?
    Because the space nation owns the asteroid you'd want to mine? And is prepared to shoot you if you intrude.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Because the space nation owns the asteroid you'd want to mine?
    I don't know how they'd claim ownership on one but fine... let's play that game. There's millions more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    No laws? So someone could just murder everyone and sell their lab equipment back on earth without consequence? It's just like a Bethesda game... in space!

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how they'd claim ownership on one but fine... let's play that game. There's millions more.
    There's always trade between nations even between extremely similar areas. You don't have to have any advantage from the geography of the asteroid itself. It's all about the laws and government of the nation which create a certain platform for business and innovation.

10+ Year Old Account
    don't see how long they are going to last with all the radiation and sub zero temperatures.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Requires more Neo Zeon newtype
    Hail Zeon, we are gonna get some gundam action! Especially if we colonise mars, why do noone learn from anime!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    How long before it becomes anti-pacifist and is renamed McAsgardia or Pepsi presents Asgardia?

Gundam in the making?
    Yeah they will be pacifist up til the moment they get Mobile Suits. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    Anarchy does not work.
    Anarchy is all we have ever had, and all we will ever have.

Quote Originally Posted by devark View Post
    Anarchy is all we have ever had, and all we will ever have.
    Speaking of anarchy, what happened to our friendly neighbourhood anarchist on mmo champ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.