Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    What does marmite taste like?
    Like the nectar of the gods

I brought several large pots of it from sainsburys today, not because of the shortage threat, but because I like rubbing marmite over my face
    Last edited by Trassk; 2016-10-14 at 11:59 AM.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    It's not like cutting jobs has a negative effect on the economy eh.
    The economy is going to be negatively effected by Brexit and people will lose jobs as a result of Brexit.

Not really certain what that has to do with what I said or the post I was replying to, but whatever.

Deleted
    That looks like shoe shine , eww

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Is this link ok?
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7358866.html

I looked for Daily Mail coverage of this story, but no surprise they decided not to run it.

Edit: turns out the brexiteers favourite gutter trash rag did run the story after all.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/...eferendum.html
    I think you'll find the dailyfail is head and shoulders about above other papers like the graunaid and the not so independent failed newspaper clickbait website.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Supermarkets like Tesco can't afford to raise prices, they are already losing business to discount retailers.

Take it from someone who works in the industry, they'll cut staff levels before they pass any of this on to the consumer.
    But discount retailers sell dented and rusty cans, expired food, no name food, ripped boxes, food where the packaging has discoloration due to stuff having been spilled on it, etc... Who would want to buy that crap?, but its why its cheaper. Id rather be hungry than poison my body with expired food

There is no way a discount retailer can sell the exact same item as a major supermarket chain for less. Major chains get the lowest prices from the manufacturers because the volume of product the purchase

10+ Year Old Account
    Marmite is superior to Vegemite

10+ Year Old Account
    ooOOOooo whats Marmite?!?!?

Is that like Nutella, but for pancakes?!?!?!?!?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    But discount retailers sell dented and rusty cans, expired food, no name food, ripped boxes, food where the packaging has discoloration due to stuff having been spilled on it, etc... Who would want to buy that crap?, but its why its cheaper. Id rather be hungry than poison my body with expired food

There is no way a discount retailer can sell the exact same item as a major supermarket chain for less. Major chains get the lowest prices from the manufacturers because the volume of product the purchase
    Not really certain what discount retailer means in the US, but it doesn't mean that in the UK.

It means they buy non name brand products in high volume, and save money on other costs, mainly through the use of zero hour contracts, which is one of the reasons why I don't use those retailers, despite me having no other problems with them.

I'm well aware of how economies of scale work, i'm a logistics manager for one of the largest supermarket chains in the UK, this is my area of expertise.

They don't buy name brand goods, they buy goods that are the exact same as the name brand goods, but sell for less because they don't have the mark up of name brand.

These are probably not the same discount retailers that you know. Tesco is under pressure from Aldi and Lidl (German chains). I have not yet encountered anything suspicious in their shops and I doubt they could afford being any more shoddy in the UK than here in Eastern Europe.

10+ Year Old Account

Myabe in the US but I know for a fact I can walk in to Poundland and buy a perfectly fine jar of marmite for cheaper than it would be in Tesco.

Deleted
    well brexit wasn't all bad then

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    ooOOOooo whats Marmite?!?!?

Is that like Nutella, but for pancakes?!?!?!?!?
    no no, like the opposite.

- - - Updated - - -

the discount retailers are nothing like that here

as a brit, let me tell you about marmite.

either you love or you hate it.

I do not like it at all.

Anyone tasting it is always taken aback first with the taste. It does not taste the way you think it should.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    What does marmite taste like?
    Like death.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    I.e. awful that one ignores only after going through flavor equivalent of Stockholm syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    But at least we got rid of all the damn immigrants, eh?
    I thought immigrants is what marmite is made of Oo
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2016-10-14 at 01:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where will Jame May get his Marmite now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Not really certain what discount retailer means in the US, but it doesn't mean that in the UK.

It means they buy non name brand products in high volume, and save money on other costs, mainly through the use of zero hour contracts, which is one of the reasons why I don't use those retailers, despite me having no other problems with them.

I'm well aware of how economies of scale work, i'm a logistics manager for one of the largest supermarket chains in the UK, this is my area of expertise.

They don't buy name brand goods, they buy goods that are the exact same as the name brand goods, but sell for less because they don't have the mark up of name brand.
    And who in the hell would want to buy a no name product unless they are really poor and have no other choice. No name products are NOT the same as name brand products. You buy a bag of Birds Eye frozen broccoli and you get lots of crowns. You buy the store brand frozen broccoli and you get a LOT more stems and less crowns, even worse is the bag of frozen broccoli without even a store name in a white bag that just says broccoli on the bag. Almost ALL stems.

You can buy Progresso chicken noodle soup and get a pretty good product, or you can buy the no name brand and its mostly broth with 2 or 3 tiny pieces of chicken and 30 noodles.

Digiorno frozen pizza has plenty of quality cheese and generous amounts of toppings, no name pizza has either imitation cheese on it or so little cheese that you can see the sauce through it, and paltry amounts of toppings

I just dont see how a store that solely sells no name products has enough customers to stay in business.
    Last edited by Orlong; 2016-10-14 at 02:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And who in the hell would want to buy a no name product unless they are really poor and have no other choice. No name products are NOT the same as name brand products. You buy a bag of Birds Eye frozen broccoli and you get lots of crowns. You buy the store brand frozen broccoli and you get a LOT more stems and less crowns, even worse is the bag of frozen broccoli without even a store name in a white bag that just says broccoli on the bag. Almost ALL stems.

You can buy Progresso chicken noodle soup and get a pretty good product, or you can buy the no name brand and its mostly broth with 2 or 3 tiny pieces of chicken and 30 noodles.

Digiorno frozen pizza has plenty of quality cheese and generous amounts of toppings, no name pizza has either imitation cheese on it or so little cheese that you can see the sauce through it, and paltry amounts of toppings

I just dont see how a store that solely sells no name products has enough customers to stay in business.
    Everything I've bought was the same quality as well known branded products.
    Last edited by Medusa Cascade; 2016-10-14 at 03:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Myabe in the US but I know for a fact I can walk in to Poundland and buy a perfectly fine jar of marmite for cheaper than it would be in Tesco.
    Not the same brand. Probably a jar with a plain white label that says Marmite in black letters, and probably doesnt taste as good

10+ Year Old Account
    Not the same brand. Probably a jar with a plain white label that says Marmite in black letters, and probably doesnt taste as good
    Ah that's what you mean, we don't have stuff like that here as far as I'm aware

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Ah that's what you mean, we don't have stuff like that here as far as I'm aware
    yeah im pretty sure that would be illegal here...

the discount retailers here for the most part are okay, you can get some weird off brand stuff, but a lot of it is the same brands as you buy in tesco and stuff

edit : misread thought he orlong meant they put a real marmite label over a knock off product.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Everything I've bought was the same quality as well known branded products.
    Look at a Digiorno frozen Pizza

Then look at a Celeste (generic) frozen Pizza

Now tell me they are the same quality. To me the Digiorno is worth the extra 2 bucks and I wouldnt feed the Celeste to my dog

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    yeah im pretty sure that would be illegal here...

the discount retailers here for the most part are okay, you can get some weird off brand stuff, but a lot of it is the same brands as you buy in tesco and stuff

edit : misread thought he orlong meant they put a real marmite label over a knock off product.
    I maybe confused. I thought Marmite is a product and not a brand name. I suppose a generic version of Marmite would be called fermented yeast.