ESO, PVP, and Crafting

I love WoW but don't have a PC at the moment so I bought ESO and bought the $60 one with all xpacs because it reminds me of WOW.

Reading online, some people make it seem like you HAVE to craft and it is actually pretty stressful and overwhelming... even in WOW I just levelled up my professions for the benefits and just enjoyed PVP, the research and looking for materials is just stressful and annoying to me and I never did it in wow, but in ESO, it honestly turned me off on day 3 of owning this game...

I'm wondering do I HAVE to craft to be decent at PVP? I don't want to, I just want to level up my character and jump into PVP and get Gear the way I do in Wow, with money or "PVP points". :-(
    Last edited by Jagei; 2016-10-14 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagei View Post
    I love WoW but don't have a PC at the moment so I bought ESO and bought the $60 one with all xpacs. Reading on line, some people make it seem like you HAVE to craft and it is actually pretty stressful and overwhelming... even in WOW I just levelled up my professions for the benefits and just enjoyed PVP, the research and looking for materials is just stressful and annoying to me and honestly turned me off on day 3 of owning this game...

I'm wondering do I HAVE to craft to be decent at PVP? I don't want to, I just want to level up my character and PVP.... :-(
    You can just level and pvp.

Also I recommend checking out Guild Wars 2 since the base game is f2p. I quite enjoyed my time pvping in GW2 back when I played it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

Also I recommend checking out Guild Wars 2 since the base game is f2p. I quite enjoyed my time pvping in GW2 back when I played it.
    And I can PVP with fair gear? Like in WoW, you can level and PVP in battlegrounds only and still have the best gear for PVP?

And I can PVP with fair gear? Like in WoW, you can level and PVP in battlegrounds only and still have the best gear for PVP?
    If I remember correct (someone can correct me if not) Your stats scale in ESO pvp. Also pvp in ESO isn't small scale ether incase you didn't know. Some things give you a bonus like building up ur mount speed. But If you just want to jump into PVP I think u will be fine.

IMO GW2 pvp is what you will want if you want pvp where gear doesn't matter. Gear doesn't matter anymore in WoW pvp ether.

Been ages since I played so I could be wrong or my info is dated.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

If I remember correct (someone can correct me if not) Your stats scale in ESO pvp. Also pvp in ESO isn't small scale ether incase you didn't know. Some things give you a bonus like building up ur mount speed. But If you just want to jump into PVP I think u will be fine.

IMO GW2 pvp is what you will want if you want pvp where gear doesn't matter. Gear doesn't matter anymore in WoW pvp ether.

Been ages since I played so I could be wrong or my info is dated.
    My thought with GW2 PvP armor, is that it can make a difference, but it's small. Mostly Health, I think. Not so much in Damage.

And what do you mean by "ESO PVP"?... I keep thinking 'Elder Scrolls Online', but judging from the context, I'm wrong about that.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

10+ Year Old Account
    I love WoW but don't have a PC at the moment so I bought ESO and bought the $60 one with all xpacs because it reminds me of WOW.

Reading online, some people make it seem like you HAVE to craft and it is actually pretty stressful and overwhelming... even in WOW I just levelled up my professions for the benefits and just enjoyed PVP, the research and looking for materials is just stressful and annoying to me and I never did it in wow, but in ESO, it honestly turned me off on day 3 of owning this game...

I'm wondering do I HAVE to craft to be decent at PVP? I don't want to, I just want to level up my character and jump into PVP and get Gear the way I do in Wow, with money or "PVP points". :-(
    The thing about PvP in ESO is that to be decent you need a lot more than just crafting.

Everything scales, so the skills themselves aren't better or worse depending on the skill level. What matters is your access to skills and their morphs (and passives). A lot of skills you can't get until much later in the game. Some of the strongest skills require A LOT of work and grinding. Undaunted skills, for example, you basically have to get every single dungeon achievement in the game, on every difficulty, and do a bunch of undaunted mission to unlock them. That is a ton of work. Fighter's guild, mage's guild, etc... Very strong, incredibly grindy. Mage's guild isn't so bad, you just need to pick up all the lore books. But fighter's guild, you need to close dozens of anchors, kill thousands of daedra and undead, to max it out.

With regard to crafting though, if you want to personalize your gear and build it a certain way (ie min/max) you need to craft. Or have someone craft for you. PvP gear rewards are few and far between, as are PvE rewards. And there are a lot of random ass dropped sets out there, which means aiming for one in particular is difficult, not to mention dropped sets outside of trials and the hardest veteran dungeons are meh at best.

TL;DR: Unless you go hard as fuck at everything in the game, you can't compete in PvP. You can participate, you can get some kills here and there, but when you run into anyone who has gone hard at the game they will bend you over, you won't even be able to touch them.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    The thing about PvP in ESO is that to be decent you need a lot more than just crafting.

Everything scales, so the skills themselves aren't better or worse depending on the skill level. What matters is your access to skills and their morphs (and passives). A lot of skills you can't get until much later in the game. Some of the strongest skills require A LOT of work and grinding. Undaunted skills, for example, you basically have to get every single dungeon achievement in the game, on every difficulty, and do a bunch of undaunted mission to unlock them. That is a ton of work. Fighter's guild, mage's guild, etc... Very strong, incredibly grindy. Mage's guild isn't so bad, you just need to pick up all the lore books. But fighter's guild, you need to close dozens of anchors, kill thousands of daedra and undead, to max it out.

With regard to crafting though, if you want to personalize your gear and build it a certain way (ie min/max) you need to craft. Or have someone craft for you. PvP gear rewards are few and far between, as are PvE rewards. And there are a lot of random ass dropped sets out there, which means aiming for one in particular is difficult, not to mention dropped sets outside of trials and the hardest veteran dungeons are meh at best.

TL;DR: Unless you go hard as fuck at everything in the game, you can't compete in PvP. You can participate, you can get some kills here and there, but when you run into anyone who has gone hard at the game they will bend you over, you won't even be able to touch them.
    Yes, that is a big turn off... I guess I will just play the main story and then sell it. WoW is the only game I'll ever go hard at. :/)

I'm pretty sure he cannot try out GW2 as GW2 requires PC to play.. which he doesn't have. no idea if he bought ESO for xbox or ps4, but its one of those 2 - hence the later reply about selling it (since PC version doesn't come with sell-able hard copy like ESO does - though I would double check if ESO can be sold as well)

in any case, solo story is pretty good (I very much enjoy it) and well.. you can still pvp some, heck one of the DLC's is basically centered around pvp, but like others have said - leveling your skill lines is everything and THAT takes a while. on PC at least, addons help with hunting down skyshards and the like, but I don't think console version allows for that.