Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I get quiet a few compliments, but they make me feel extremely uncomfortable. As a response I ussually act unimpressed and/or smug, this to cover up my insecurities.

10+ Year Old Account
    How can you get tired of compliments?! I love hearing about how awesome I am! =D

Also, to those who wallow in self pity saying they are tired of hearing "they are not ugly" or something like that, what do you expect people to tell you otherwise? That you are a fucking train wreck? They'd poke their eyes out and burn them upon seeing you? They're trying to be nice and lift your spirit you know.

i don't enjoy compliments of any kind, because the attention in general annoys me.

humans need elf ears that bend a certain way that signals "don't speak to me unless i speak to you".

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    None, really. I love to be complimented.
    Pretty much this.

Even if I don't agree with the compliment, someone has taken the time to say something good.
    Why should that be discouraged?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    None, really. I love to be complimented.
    you seem to be very positive

"I wish I had your talent" Every time I have a sort of reverse training montage where I remember all the long nights and agonizing over inept blunders trying to get something, anything, to work right. Talent... what bullshit.

Also "You're so sweet with your kids", like normally they'd expect me to be a fucking animal that had too large a brood and had to stomp their bodies into the dirt so I didn't have to feed them.

Along the same lines as ^ - "Ahh you're so lucky" :/ I've noticed that the harder I work, the luckier I get...

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    Also, to those who wallow in self pity saying they are tired of hearing "they are not ugly" or something like that, what do you expect people to tell you otherwise? That you are a fucking train wreck? They'd poke their eyes out and burn them upon seeing you? They're trying to be nice and lift your spirit you know.
    Because when it's obvious that we both know what you're saying is a lie it loses all its meaning. Don't waste time pretending to make me feel better; it won't and you really don't care anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venarik View Post
    Because when it's obvious that we both know what you're saying is a lie it loses all its meaning. Don't waste time pretending to make me feel better; it won't and you really don't care anyway.
    That's just your own insecurities playing up. Not everyone is out trying to be a troll in life you know. And also a waste of time? It takes what a few seconds to say something nice? Talk about over reacting..

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    People telling me i'm smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    "i'll pray for you"

Oh wow, thanks for telling me you're not going to be productive at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    "Smile". It's the most bullshit thing.
    I'll also add “You look amazing.” or "You look cute!"

%100 these. Drive me up a wall.
    I'm smart because I can use Google? Or I can read?...

Telling me to smile? Give me something to smile about, and I will. :S

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    people telling me everything will work out.
    In my area, it is either that, or "God will sort everything out for you."

I'll just add: "Don't worry about it.", "Sometimes, it's better not to say anything.", “Are you sure you don’t want to have kids? You have the hips for it!”, or a variant "Are you sure you don't want kids? You do really well with children!" aggravate the holy hell out of me.
    Last edited by Shadow Fox; 2016-10-16 at 11:18 AM.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

This thread just shows how overly sensitive and petty people have become that they can't take a simple compliment. Smile and say thank you, no one means any harm by it.
    You may now kiss the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Choda View Post
    This thread just shows how overly sensitive and petty people have become that they can't take a simple compliment. Smile and say thank you, no one means any harm by it.
    Depending where you are from, some harmless words or compliments could be hate speech.
    Example: In the Southern US, addressing women as 'Ma'am', or 'miss', is largely okay. Other parts of the US, it is more derogatory or an aggressive gesture.

Deleted
    I like getting compliments usually but not when its pretty clear the person makes them clearly wants something.

Oh and also those lame puns/pick up lines like "are you an angel cause bla bla", especially in situations where Im just minding my own business.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    Depending where you are from, some harmless words or compliments could be hate speech.
    Example: In the Southern US, addressing women as 'Ma'am', or 'miss', is largely okay. Other parts of the US, it is more derogatory or an aggressive gesture.
    Fuck that bullshit. If you feel someone addressing you with respect and proper manners is being "derogatory" or "aggressive" then you honestly need help. This retarded PC nonsense is really getting out of hand.

Also a lot of you people don't seem to know what compliments are. People telling you to "hang on" or "it will get better" is not a compliment.

people assume I am smart because of autism

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    Fuck that bullshit. If you feel someone addressing you with respect and proper manners is being "derogatory" or "aggressive" then you honestly need help. This retarded PC nonsense is really getting out of hand.
    It's not so much Political Correctness. Depending which part of the US you're in, it could be derogatory to someone's age, or imply they are single, or specifically not married.

A bit of a better example...

British English says "Twat" is a short word for calling someone "Stupid", or "Annoying". In the US, it is a derogatory term against most people: Lower Women to a lower status by a word, or much worse.

There is a reason why Dialects are a thing. They are subtle differences within languages that DO matter.

British English, Irish English, Scots English, Canadian English, US English, Australian English, New Zealand English, and so on, do have variances in them with some definitions of words changed, or double-meaning. If we remove the dialects, by proper "Linguistics", we all should be speaking under British English. Which I'm pretty sure removes 'miss', and 'ma'am' as proper prefixes.
    Last edited by Shadow Fox; 2016-10-16 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    Telling me to smile? Give me something to smile about, and I will. :S
    This... I don't walk around with a fake grin on my face just for the sake of doing that. I'll smile when I feel like, not when others want it. My mom always annoys me with it when taking random pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think i've ever had a compliment...

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Good Work" I hate that phrase mostly because it has followed me fixing up a major fuck up someone else has made and instead of them owning up to it they just say "Good work" once it is fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    "Good Work" I hate that phrase mostly because it has followed me fixing up a major fuck up someone else has made and instead of them owning up to it they just say "Good work" once it is fixed.
    My area has 'Good Work' and 'Good Job' as a replacement for 'Thank you'. And it annoys me greatly! :S

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    This... I don't walk around with a fake grin on my face just for the sake of doing that. I'll smile when I feel like, not when others want it. My mom always annoys me with it when taking random pictures.
    I'm convinced the people who are always high-pitchy, or always smiling are on drugs/medication.

I'm not a depressed person, I just don't have anything to smile about! I'm not going to be excited into smiling for pumping my gas, or going into a grocery store for tampons.

Well, that, and I think constant smiling uses more muscle strength and tension than speaking.