Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Post Prison time for reporting on the Dakota Access Pipeline?

This Monday afternoon, as the sun hits its peak over Mandan, North Dakota, the award-winning journalist, and host of Democracy Now!, Amy Goodman will walk into the Morton County–Mandan Combined Law Enforcement and Corrections Center and turn herself in to the local authorities. Her crime: good, unflinching journalism.

Goodman had the audacity to commit this journalism on September 3, when she was in North Dakota covering what she calls “the standoff at Standing Rock”: the months-long protests by thousands of Native Americans against the Dakota Access Pipeline. The $3.8 billion oil pipeline is slated to carry barrel after barrel of Bakken crude through sacred sites and burial grounds of the Standing Rock Sioux tribe, and tribe members fear it could pollute the Missouri River, the source not only of their water but of millions of others’, should the pipe ever rupture. Their protests, which began in April and ballooned through the summer months, represent the largest mobilization of Native American activists in more than 40 years—and one of the most vital campaigns for environmental justice in perhaps as long.

Goodman’s arrival at the main protest site, the Sacred Stone Spirit Camp, was significant. At the time, not a single one of the major broadcast networks had sent a reporter to cover the Standing Rock mobilization; none had even bothered to mention it on the air. But there was Goodman, standing at the edge of a grassy plain that was in the process of being churned into gullies of dirt, reporting on one of the most significant stories of the day. Clutching a large microphone, she captured the scene as hundreds of protesters tried desperately to stop a crew of bulldozers from tearing up the earth—the earth, they said, that belongs to nobody—only to be confronted by a force of private security contractors wielding attack dogs and pepper spray.
    (source)

It would appear some things you are allowed to report on and others, well the government will harass the fuck out of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

I mean, I want to be mad, but this source is so obviously biased I'll just ignore it until it's reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    I mean, I want to be mad, but this source is so obviously biased I'll just ignore it until it's reported.
    It has been reported, all over the place, including in The Nation, which is a highly reputable publication. This may be a but confusing for you, but there is a difference between a publication having an ideological slant, and a publication being so disreputable that the basic facts of their stories are suspect. If you can't handle not conflating those two things, it says way more about you and your inability to parse information without it being spoonfed to you by pre-determined ideologically friendly sources than it does about the publication.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

I need to see what the charge/proof is seeing as the original Democracy Now piece was shoddy as all hell. The 'vicious' dog attacks that they had to use close ups and highlighting to distinguish the scratches were particularly egregious.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    It has been reported, all over the place, including in The Nation, which is a highly reputable publication. This may be a but confusing for you, but there is a difference between a publication having an ideological slant, and a publication being so disreputable that the basic facts of their stories are suspect. If you can't handle not conflating those two things, it says way more about you and your inability to parse information without it being spoonfed to you by pre-determined ideologically friendly sources than it does about the publication.
    Once I read that her crime was "good journalism" that was basically the end of meaningful journalism in the article. Had to read for another 5-10 minutes to get the full story. Even then, it's nothing but people throwing their weight with no real basis.

Read maddox on Alternate news sites lol.

Once I read that her crime was "good journalism" that was basically the end of meaningful journalism in the article. Had to read for another 5-10 minutes to get the full story.
    I'm seriously confused how you manage to get out of bed, feed yourself, shower, get on a computer, make it to this site, and make posts, if it is truly this much of a struggle for you to read an article and parse out the opinion and the fact.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I'm seriously confused how you manage to get out of bed, feed yourself, shower, get on a computer, make it to this site, and make posts, if it is truly this much of a struggle for you to read an article and parse out the opinion and the fact.
    Then you must struggle with all things in life. It's not difficult to realize that this is a non-story with the usual suspects at play.

She was first. Check the dates on all of those articles you listed. The earliest one was September 23rd. Until she published her video and article on September 3rd, the public was not aware of what was going on there. Actually, her coverage dated al the way back to April. Almost to the start of the protest.

Then you must struggle with all things in life. It's not difficult to realize that this is a non-story with the usual suspects at play.
    It is a non-story, if you think the use of the criminal justice system to intimidate and silence journalism is a good idea when the journalists don't agree with you ideologically, which you clearly do.
    -ynnady

She was arrested for trespassing property.

It is a non-story, if you think the use of the criminal justice system to intimidate and silence journalism is a good idea when the journalists don't agree with you ideologically, which you clearly do.
    Do you really not know that entities that act without morals employ everything at their disposal to achieve their goals? It's like humanity 101. They clearly believed it was the best way for them to get their project done on time.

She did the same thing when she 'turned herself in' for this erroneous charge. Sensationalism was her best bet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    That was the original charge, but when they realized it wouldn't stick they changed it to inciting a riot.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Actually the state changed it to rioting. They knew they could not make the trespassing charge stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Actually the state changed it to rioting. They knew they could not make the trespassing charge stick.
    Oops my bad.

Do you really not know that entities that act without morals employ everything at their disposal to achieve their goals? It's like humanity 101. They clearly believed it was the best way for them to get their project done on time.

She did the same thing when she 'turned herself in' for this erroneous charge. Sensationalism was her best bet.

- - - Updated - - -

That was the original charge, but when they realized it wouldn't stick they changed it to inciting a riot.
    My mistake. I mistook you for a serious person. Clearly I was mistaken. Moving along.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    She was first. Check the dates on all of those articles you listed. The earliest one was September 23rd. Until she published her video and article on September 3rd, the public was not aware of what was going on there. Actually, her coverage dated al the way back to April. Almost to the start of the protest.
    My news is shorted newest to oldest. I've been hearing about this protest for far longer than September. Maybe I'm special because I live in Wyoming, but in any case I jumped back several pages and there are reports of this protest dating back to May.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...main/84676294/
    http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/3...ccess-pipeline
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN0YI201
    http://www.kfyrtv.com/home/headlines...371578431.html
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    My news is shorted newest to oldest. I've been hearing about this protest for far longer than September. Maybe I'm special because I live in Wyoming, but in any case I jumped back several pages and there are reports of this protest dating back to May.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...main/84676294/
    http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/3...ccess-pipeline
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN0YI201
    http://www.kfyrtv.com/home/headlines...371578431.html
    Three of the four look like small local news. Only one mention the camp (protest) in passing. The other two only talked about the lawsuit. Not sure why you list the Reuter article.

10+ Year Old Account
    Three of the four look like small local news. Only one mention the camp (protest) in passing. The other two only talked about the lawsuit. Not sure why you list the Reuter article.
    Well tough. I picked the earliest reports I had listed in my news feed. You can go to news.google.com and search for the articles yourself, go about 16-20 pages back and find plenty from major news sources.

The point is: WE FUCKING KNOW. Stop acting like we're ignorant fucks because your personal jesus got arrested and noone cared.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Well tough. I picked the earliest reports I had listed in my news feed. You can go to news.google.com and search for the articles yourself, go about 16-20 pages back and find plenty from major news sources.

The point is: WE FUCKING KNOW. Stop acting like we're ignorant fucks because your personal jesus got arrested and noone cared.
    actually smrund sourcing your articles correctly is an important part of presenting your argument which you obviously didn't do. but please feel free to get all angry and defensive because you got called out on it.
    also it's on YOU to present the articles you mention not the person your speaking to. we aren't here to do your work for you.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.