Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you have Night Terrors?

Ok iam 35 and i still suffer from night terrors

I wake up screaming and i wake up everyone in my house and last night i woke up and i saw this evil thing lunge at me and i honestly thought that was it i was gonna die and i woke screaming terrified.

I dont know what to do because iam a agnostic and i know this is all just in my head and prolly manifestations of my anxieties but does anyone else have the same experiences as i do?

10+ Year Old Account
    not very often. when i do it usually involves draenei.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2016-10-18 at 03:41 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

No, my nightmare starts when I wake up, hence I don't sleep voluntarily.

I think you should go see a therapist, you probably have some unresolved stuff going on in your head somewhere.

that just sounds like a bad dream.

night terrors are when you're awake, but part of your brain is still asleep, and you see shadow peoples and feel intense, all-consuming dread while still being paralyzed by your brain.

i've heard sleep apnea can cause it to happen more often. but yeah, it was just a bad dream. get up and walk around, have a snack and drink. play a game or something to take your mind off it. then head on back to bed.

I've had something similar but I don't wake up screaming.

After significant research it's a part of the brain that doesn't stop sending the paralysis stuff. So when you "wake up" partially you're trying to move. Your brain is thinking you're moving and but also realizing it's not. This results on a very terrifying where you feel something really bad is next to you or around you. What that REALLY is, supposedly, is your brain thinking that's where you should be.. but you're not. So it's kind of "something should be there, I expect it to be there". Eventually the paralysis chemical stops and you are able to do whatever. Often time this invisible entity feels "evil" or "demonic" or "just plain bad". As a conscious person you don't know how to process this and it can process differently depending on how conscious you are.

Mine, specifically, felt like it was some evil entity staring at me. Almost pacing back and forth. Wanting to get closer but hide. The only thing I had conscious control over was my breathing. Then it went away and I fell back asleep.

Mine went away on their own. Every now and I then I feel weird. A few months ago I swore the second I wake up I felt "someone" cuddling me then roll over and disappear. I felt neutral about it. Coincidentally not long after that my cats decided to start sleeping on my bed. One likes to have a little distance but always keep me within its sights while the other likes contact from me somehow or another -- it usually prefers my chest or the back side of my leg or sometimes my hand simply touching it's back.

I'm not religious and am writing it off as part dream mixing into reality due to timing of sleep chemical in my brain fuxing up. We are biological machines and respond appropriately to various chemicals. My cats probably recognize my pattern is off and react accordingly now -- that's my guess because animals are amazing at doing things like finding things outside of a normal pattern that a human might overlook.

Just my $0.02.

Edit; I also have some odd and highly rare medical conditions. If I didn't know any better I'd say my cats thought or think I'm going to die soon. /shrug

edit 2: apparently night terrors and sleep paralysis are different. If that's the case then ignore all this.

Never.

What does being agnostic have to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I think night terrors and sleep paralysis are classified as different.
    maybe, idk. i'm just remembering from the shows i've watched. this dream just doesn't sound that bad, like a typical bad dream.

i had one about erma a few nights ago, erma and drowning. honestly, i got pissed at myself for even getting creeped out by it.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    very rarely but they are always intense as fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    maybe, idk. i'm just remembering from the shows i've watched. this dream just doesn't sound that bad, like a typical bad dream.

i had one about erma a few nights ago, erma and drowning. honestly, i got pissed at myself for even getting creeped out by it.
    i've had sleep paralysis more than a few times. it was really scary.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    The psychoanalytic person would say it's because of your subconscious. Something could have happened when you were real young, maybe too young to remember but the memory is still stored deep inside your mind.

The behaviorist person would say that your upbringing and environment influences these night terrors. Possibly growing up you had a bad dream and instead of your guardian explaining it to you, they comforted you and reassured you everything was alright. This could have conditioned you to overreact to bad dreams but you can't help it because your mind is conditioned to be feared beyond belief when this occurs.

Lastly the humanist would say that regardless of your past, you can change who you are and there's no limitations.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Night... terror? That a step up from nightmare?
    Never woken up screaming.

Been a couple decades since anything startled me awake. These days the few nightmares mostly fail and I just end up disturbed rather than scared.
    Could be I'm too sheltered to be truly upset.

This sounds like a nightmare to me. What i believe to be a night terror is what happened when i was younger where it would be a nightmare but my body was awake and i was moving and running and acting like whatever was in my nightmare was chasing me along with this feeling of impending doom/dread.

Deleted
    Yep.

20mg of Zopiclone (And 100mg of QT) a night and still it bothers me

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Never.

It means that you aren't sure whether Jesus is divine or not and whether or not he is the one causing your night terrors.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i've had sleep paralysis more than a few times. it was really scary.
    i've had it once, and it was after a particularly dicey incident between my meth head uncle and my super religious grandma while i was just a kid.

it was not a pleasant experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've had it once, and it was after a particularly dicey incident between my meth head uncle and my super religious grandma while i was just a kid.

it was nice a pleasant experience.
    i was scared i wouldn't be able to wake up when it occured.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Never.

night terrors tend to involve things that would be seen as demons by anyone religious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i was scared i wouldn't be able to wake up when it occured.
    thankfully, i didn't see the shadow person because i was sleeping between my mom and grandma, so that probably obscured it. but my god did i feel the paralysis and dread.

Not really night terrors. But if I'm in a deep sleep and someone wakes me up suddenly ( kids in middle of night, wife in the AM) I wake with a huge jolt and kind jump back in defensive stance

Nope. I do keep an assortment of guns, knives, explosives, and a flame thrower in my night stand. So if the Boogeyman/criminal decides to visit me he'll end up a corpse. If I don't get them, my pets will.
    Last edited by Rudkobing; 2016-10-18 at 12:11 PM.