Feral relic question

So I have a question about which relic would realistically be better to use. I have an ilvl 865 relic that gives FB damage, and I have an ilvl 835 relic that gives rip damage. I did a simulation on AMR and the rip relic gave me about 3000 more dps.

Does this mean I should be using the lower ilvl rip relic? Will the lower ilvl affect my dps in other areas/abilities? Or is it a cut and dry answer?

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, the lower item level will affect your dps in other areas/abilities, but the sim is already taking that into account. So much of feral's damage is tied up in bleeds that it really shouldn't even be too surprising that a drop of 30 item levels on a relic is worth taking for a bonus to Rip or Rake.

That's a bit of a running theme this expansion, though. Keeping an 835 relic/trinket/ring/neck over what looks like a massive ilvl upgrade because of how certain traits and secondary stats scale for particular specs. Also, it seems every spec has at least one trait that's absolute garbage (looking at you, Mauler) ... and you will inevitably get (and vendor/DE) an 895 titanforged relic for it at some point.

Sounds right. Next time you run Sim add weapon dps scaling and see exactly why the rip relic is better.

That's what I figured, but I just wanted to double check before I replaced it. Better safe than sorry!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    That relic is insane and completely BiS until you get a higher item level one.

10+ Year Old Account
    ^ Yeah it's pretty much the thing to look for. I finally managed to get 3 850+ rip relics and it's niiice.

Razor Fangs is the goto for top dps. Look up that and you can see the relics that it applys too.

Tear the Flesh and Ashamane's Energy would be the next inline for dps.