10+ Year Old Account

Cool A year in, nearly two-thirds of Canadians approve of Justin Trudeau’s government

http://globalnews.ca/news/3008087/ne...vernment-poll/

One year since the Liberals won the federal election, two-thirds of Canadians approve of the job Justin Trudeau’s government has done, according to a new Ipsos poll conducted exclusively for Global News.

“He’s very popular. If you look at leaders in the rest of the world, he’s got numbers that any of them would envy,” said Darrell Bricker, CEO of Ipsos Public Affairs. “We’re finding 64 per cent of Canadians saying that they basically approve of his performance and the government’s performance.”

But although Trudeau is popular, his numbers aren’t that different from the last time Canada elected a new government at the federal level.

“People might say that Justin Trudeau is at an unprecedented level of public support, but we did the same poll with Stephen Harper in 2006 after one year of him being in power and he was at 62, so the difference is only two points, pretty much within the margin of error,” said Bricker.

“So I think when big change happens, after 10 years somebody’s in power, somebody new comes in and they deliver something different, people generally respond well to it. That’s what we saw in the first year of Harper and it’s what we’re seeing in the first year of Justin Trudeau.”

If Trudeau’s government follows the same kind of public opinion trajectory, they’re in for a slow, steady drop: by the 2015 election, the Conservative approval rating had fallen to 41 per cent.

But Bricker isn’t sure that will happen in this case, or at least not soon. “Until the opposition really starts challenging the government in a very significant way, and neither opposition party has a leader at the moment, really, then he’s pretty well left to his own devices. So the only things that can cause him harm are things that he does to himself or events that occur and how he responds to them.”

Trudeau likely won’t face serious challenges to his popularity until later in 2017, when the Conservatives and NDP have new leaders and Trudeau has several budgets behind him for the opposition parties to pick apart, said Bricker.
    Young voters

Fifty-eight per cent of Canadians surveyed say that the Trudeau government has met or exceeded their expectations – and younger people are more likely to say so.

Only 29 per cent of Canadians aged 18-34 say the government has fallen short, compared to 55 per cent of people aged 55 and up.

Trudeau’s personal approval rating also remains quite high, at 64 per cent.

Oddly, given how positive young people were about Trudeau in other parts of the poll, about half of people aged 18-34 said that the country would be better off if Harper was still in power.

“This is the gap between expectations and feeling about the government, and delivery,” said Bricker. Young people turned out in unusually high numbers, and many of them voted Liberal – meaning they have high expectations about how a Trudeau government is going to change their lives.

“So at this point do they think that he’s doing better than Harper on that measure? They’re expecting that he hopefully will do something, but the delivery to date has not necessarily been at a level that they would like to see.”

Overall, relatively few Canadians are hankering for the old days – only 36 per cent agree that Canada would be better off if Stephen Harper and the Conservatives were still in power.
    Crazy high approval rating. There must be very few if any G8 world leaders with such a positive approval rating. I think a huge part of Mr Trudeau's approval rating can be attributed to rejecting politics of fear and embracing a more tolerant society.

10+ Year Old Account
    truly he is the hero canada needs. this is truly a golden age for canada.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Or maybe, gasp, he is doing stuff people actually like ?

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Or maybe, gasp, he is doing stuff people actually like ?
    or maybe, gasp, the media is a leftist propaganda machine

Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    Of course. Of course too, by Internet Tough Guys standards, Stephen Harper was a ''pinko''.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a total cop out answer. Make a real case buddy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easy to have high ratings when both the Tories and the NDP have no leaders to lead an efficient opposition.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

It seems Harper had similar levels of approval at the same time after he had replaced the liberals. Your point is moot before it even began.

Trolling is bad mkay.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Easy to have high ratings when both the Tories and the NDP have no leaders to lead an efficient opposition.
    NDP fired their leader. Conservatives need a change, they were heading in the general direction of Trump for a while, and the BQ is ... well... LOL.
    Last edited by Rakoth; 2016-10-18 at 10:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakoth View Post
    It seems Harper had similar levels of approval at the same time after he had replaced the liberals.

Trolling is bad mkay.
    It's not comparable sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    5 percent too low for my taste

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's not comparable sorry.
    I am just quoting the article you posted:
    “People might say that Justin Trudeau is at an unprecedented level of public support, but we did the same poll with Stephen Harper in 2006 after one year of him being in power and he was at 62, so the difference is only two points, pretty much within the margin of error,” said Bricker.

I personally thinks it's great we have a leader who actually has some personality and is being an amazing cheerleader for Canada on the world stage. We went from being considered the U.S. stooge back to being a progressive country.

My claim to fame: I met him way before his politic days. The guy is a great guy. I met him in 1996, my first year of High school. He came back to his alma mater, my school, and judged a poetry contest where I happened to win. He was attending UBC at the time.
    Last edited by Rakoth; 2016-10-18 at 10:38 PM.

And I say it in advance to the inevitable usuual suspects that will come here

Yeah, Trudeau is liberal (duh). But even Harper is noticably to the left of Hillary Clinton on many key issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakoth View Post
    I am just quoting the article you posted:

I personally thinks it's great we have a leader who actually has some personality and is being an amazing cheerleader for Canada on the world stage. We went from being considered the U.S. stooge back to being a progressive country.
    Exactly. Harper won in a minority government. His hands were tied so he didn't have much freedom at all compared to Mr Trudeau.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Yeah because they are running scared.

10+ Year Old Account
    or maybe you need to stop making up bullshit.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Yeah because they are running scared.
    Yeah, we get it. You are Trudeau's groupy.

They are not running scared. Harper's lost his election, so he resigned, and Mulcair has lost a confidence vote during his party's convention. Both parties now need to elect a new leader. Until they do, the opposition will be weak.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"