Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Horde Border security slips as illegal immigration rises significantly over past year

Nearly 409,000 illegal immigrants were nabbed at the border in fiscal year 2016 — up from about 331,000 a year earlier — and Homeland Security officials say the increased arrests also mean an increase in the number that are sneaking by them.

Worse yet, the number of illegal immigrants traveling as families, fleeing rough conditions in Central America and enticed by the promise of lax enforcement in the United States, reached a record high of 77,674. Unaccompanied minors — those children traveling without their parents — also rose to nearly 60,000
    , though that was still shy of the record set in 2014.

“Unaccompanied children and families have presented new challenges in our immigration system,” Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said in a statement announcing the numbers.

PHOTOS: Best shotguns for home defense

The Obama administration made significant progress in securing the border in 2015, as the number of unaccompanied minors, families and overall illegal immigration dropped significantly. Total apprehensions fell to their lowest point since the 1970s.

But things turned around for the worse over the past year.

Some analysts cite relaxed enforcement in the United States as a cause, saying cartels and would-be migrants have learned to game the more relaxed system under President Obama.
    Claims of asylum have spiked, earning illegal immigrants a chance to remain in the United States while they fight their cases, and oftentimes disappear into the shadows.

Meanwhile, deportations have plummeted during Mr. Obama’s second term. Final 2016 numbers haven’t been released, but analysts were expecting the fourth straight year of declining removals.

Mr. Johnson said he’s trying to balance competing factors of deporting new arrivals, while giving those with legitimate claims of humanitarian crises a chance to make their cases.

The secretary said the government does need more technology and equipment on the border, but said that’s not going to be enough — and he took a swipe at Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, who has proposed a border wall to stop the new flow of illegal immigrants.

“Walls alone cannot prevent illegal migration,” Mr. Johnson said. “Ultimately, the solution is long-term investment in Central America to address the underlying push factors in the region.”

The demographics of illegal immigration across the border have changed dramatically over the last decade. Mexicans used to make up most of those caught, but in 2014 Central Americans outnumbered Mexicans for the first time. That remained true in 2016.

Elyse Golob, executive director of the National Center for Border Security and Immigration at the University of Arizona, said the 2008 economic recession here, combined with steadier economic growth and a falling birth rate in Mexico, have changed the incentives for Mexican migration.

At the same time, high murder, violence and unemployment rates in El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras have fed the surge of migrants from those countries headed north.

That’s also affected which parts of the border are seeing the most activity.

The Yuma sector, in western Arizona, had been a success story in the previous decade, but saw the number of family members trying to sneak in grow tenfold, from just 675 in 2014 to 6,169 in 2016. Meanwhile, the Tucson sector, which 10 years ago was ground zero for illegal immigration, has seen its apprehensions fall precipitously.

Most of the action is now in the Rio Grande sector, which accounts for about half of the illegal immigrant traffic.

Homeland Security officials last year had predicted a surge, particularly among families attempting to make the journey. In court documents, they said judicial rulings prohibiting detention of some illegal immigrants would entice even more to make the trip.

Ms. Golob said it’s impossible to separate the push and pull factors, but said it’s clear there’s been a shift in the thinking of those pondering the journey in the key Central American countries. In the past, the dangers of the trip and the threat of deportation were enough to keep more of them home, but escalating violence and lack of opportunities at home, combined with word-of-mouth stories from relatives and friends who have gained a foothold in the United States, have changed things.

“There’s no doubt that news moves through the grapevine,” Ms. Golob said. “When people hear about unaccompanied children and family units being placed in detention courts and about the overload in the immigration courts that results in people staying here, often for years, that filters back to the Central American countries, and may lead to a perception, rightful or not, that the chances of remaining in the country now are better than ever.”
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ent-last-year/

At this point we need to work towards a streamlined, expedited process to allow these people a quick path to citizenship.Working from the shadows opens them up to exploitation which cannot be accepted.

I would be a little careful what you grab from news sites these days. There is a staggering amount of opinion pieces disguised as news stories being published online on a regular basis. Some times these news sites will just copy and paste an opinion piece from another site which in turn came from another site which in turn came from an individual's blog. The result is many times an opinion piece can have the air of credibility because it was presented by a credible site when in truth the credibility of the source may be almost non existent. I would be wary of this story. Something about it smells like an opinion piece instead of a news article.

Deleted
    I fully agree. Streamline them right through the USA into Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by PepperedAngus View Post
    I'm all for this. Send them to tennisaces's house and he can screen them properly.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Take them all Tennis!! Plus isn't like 90% of Canada trees and Moose houses? Plenty of room.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    That isn't how it works. These people risked their lives to enter the U.S.A. , the U.S not Canada.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    That isn't how it works. These people risked their lives to enter the U.S.A. , the U.S not Canada.
    Only because they couldn't reach Canada. From various topics here I've come to the conclusion that Canada is the best country in the world, so why not help them get there? Unless you're a racist xenophobe bigot of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only because they couldn't reach Canada. From various topics here I've come to the conclusion that Canada is the best country in the world, so why not help them get there? Unless you're a racist xenophobe bigot of course.
    Canada can help refugees from the middle east while the U.S. handles its own business down south and at its borders.

the U.S not Canada.
    Agreed. This is why people from Canada should mind their own business.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    Canada can help refugees from the middle east while the U.S. handles its own business down south and at its borders.
    Why? You don't like Mexicans? That's pretty offensive.

what about single male refugees from the middle east?

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell you what. You wanna have say over our immigration problems? Then you can take them in. Til then , don't post threads complaining about it while saying "not canadas problem"

10+ Year Old Account
    woah woah woah tennisace. WHERE IS THE FROWNY FACE!? the horde symbol is my thing. we had an agreement.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why? You don't like Mexicans? That's pretty offensive.
    Do you think the Mexicans who cross into the U.S. want to live in Canada or to reunite with their family in the U.S.?

This can't be true, the liberal posters say it's on the decline!

Deleted
    Do you think the Mexicans who cross into the U.S. want to live in Canada or to reunite with their family in the U.S.?
    I think they're ill-informed about this paradise on Earth called Canada. I like your approach though, we should let them reunite and then let the entire family go to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Tell you what. You wanna have say over our immigration problems? Then you can take them in. Til then , don't post threads complaining about it while saying "not canadas problem"
    Stop being racist against Canadians, Crissi. How dare you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Stop being racist against Canadians, Crissi. How dare you?
    And capitalize that goddamn "C," Crissi. Jesus... show a little respect to our Northern overlords!!
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    And capitalize that goddamn "C," Crissi. Jesus... show a little respect to our Northern overlords!!
    I blame the margarita on an empty stomach

Yep, let them know there are lots of jobs up North and that the Canadian welfare system will take care of them.