Thumbs down More insanely retarded regressive bullshit from my home country!

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/b...rule-1.3811299

So this fella, Gerry Taft wins a fair election within his party, the NDP (New Democratic Party) to represent a riding(district) in the province of British Columbia. The election was held to choose a new representative to replace the outgoing Norm MacDonald, who is retiring. He was up against Spring Hawes, a woman, and was defeated by Taft 163 to 85.

Then this bullshit happened...

The current MLA is the NDP's Norm MacDonald, who is retiring after three terms in office. The party has a policy requiring any departing MLA to be replaced by a woman or "equity-seeking candidate," including racial minorities, Indigenous people, and members of the LGBTQ community.

Hawes is a woman with a disability, and after losing the race, she questioned how Taft could be the candidate.

"The spirit of the policy is to increase representation. I am at a loss to understand how that could happen if you don't claim membership in whatever equity-seeking group that you are a member," said Hawes.

"Maybe there needs to be more clarity around that policy in that if you use that policy to qualify then you should probably be comfortable sharing what equity group you belong to."
    That right. This political party, has a policy that makes it mandatory for all new candidates to be either a woman or a minority of some kind. No straight white dudes allowed folks. While this might be a "provincial party", the NDP in this country almost all invariably align with their federal counterpart. It's one big happy family there. So it's a concern that this could, and likely will, spread to the national level. But more important, how completely discriminatory and bigoted can a policy get really. Especially from a party whose name includes the word "Democratic." Complete joke.

Then you've got this Spring Hawes person. Completely butthurt that she lost, has to resort to bullying this dude into divulging what his "equity group" is. Fuck right off. "Equity group" and "democracy" have no place being in the same room. Which leads us to this...

On Monday, Taft, who is married with a one-year-old son, told The Vancouver Sun that he had been given approval by the NDP to run as a minority, but preferred to keep the reason private.

But by Tuesday, he decided to come out publicly.

"Due to my family situation and my belief that an MLA should represent all people, I chose to keep my equity status private. I believed that my privacy would be respected and that I would be able to make my disclosure in my own time, and in my own way, if I chose to do so," he wrote in a statement.

"Over the last few days, it has become clear that there are those, including the person I defeated for the nomination, who will continue to insist that my equity status be publicly disclosed.… I am choosing to disclose now because it will allow us to turn our attention away from the equity mandate towards the issues that really matter to this region."
    So now, this bitch and her regressive shitheel party have cornered this guy into justifying his job. The job they just gave to him with a 65% victory. Because running a successful campaign and winning a democratic election process isn't good enough apparently. Now they have to prove their "special snowflake status" to stay in the position they rightfully occupy. So they bully and badger this guy, with a family, into admitting that he's bisexual, in order to keep his elected position.

Fuck these people...so much. I'd say something about "social justice" blah blah blah, but there's no justice here.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    This title sounds like a good way to start a constructive discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    This title sounds like a good way to start a constructive discussion.
    Thanks for your contribution.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    That does seem rather silly.

Yeah I remember when they had the same issue with the NDP leadership. 2 of the top 3 positions were filled by men so they had to choose a female person to lead or have one of the other 2 step down. It's why I refuse to vote NDP. Any party who would make decisions like that based on gender or colour of their skin is not getting my vote.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why should something silly like democracy or merit get in the way of progress?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that kind of an opener isn't going to foster constructive discussion. Locked.